Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great pics TTT! I am glad Tesla came to their senses and are just getting a longer charging chord like I suggested in earlier threads vs. moving the stall! I guess, everything will stay the same as is now and this project is considered complete once longer cable gets attached to 1B!

Come me on Tesla! Let's open this SC before end of this month please!

Great pics TTT! I am glad Tesla came to their senses and are just getting a longer charging chord like I suggested in earlier threads vs. moving the stall! I guess, everything will stay the same as is now and this project is considered complete once longer cable gets attached to 1B!

Come me on Tesla! Let's open this SC before end of this month please!

I don't think that's the only possible explanation for removing the charging cable. Maybe removing it is a temporary solution, so no one will be tempted to park illegally. Or maybe the cable was just defective. I don't think a longer cable is likely, because the pedestal is designed to fit a cable of a certain length.

I don't think that's the only possible explanation for removing the charging cable. Maybe removing it is a temporary solution, so no one will be tempted to park illegally. Or maybe the cable was just defective. I don't think a longer cable is likely, because the pedestal is designed to fit a cable of a certain length.

i agree. It's more likely that the cable was removed to disable that 1 pedestal until a permanent solution can be implemented. A longer cable would be a rather poor solution for a number of reasons, both mechanical and electrical, even temporarily.

This way, its the same style as SJC's 4A, plugging into 1A will give you perfect 120kW charging as necessary.

I think they should get it up and running asap, similar to Culver City, where they painted the stalls red a long time later.

So, what do we think is really keeping the San Diego supercharger site from opening?

I really don't know, but Tesla does not own the parking lot. The Supercharger is in a parking lot literally surrounded by Qualcomm buildings. There could be non-Tesla related issues holding up public access to the parking lot. There is still other construction in the area.

But it could still be a pending city inspection and approval of the handicap space. Removing the cable from pedestal 1B could enable the city inspector to approve the site temporarily, pending approval of the permanent resolution. An 11 pedestal Supercharger would be better than none!

I-B will obviously be an over the air charger for those brave enough to use it - Bahahahah - I'm just glad it is close - I come from the Inland Empire and always have to spend an hour or two at the SD Service Center or drive an hour out of my way to use the SJC-SC - I truly appreciate what Tesla is doing for all of us, everywhere! - Having been a General Contractor, I can understand what the hold-ups might be and they probably fall squarely on no ones shoulders, but rather the blame can be spread around - for example, looking at the site, it looks as if Tesla is ready, but perhaps Qualcom is not, maybe as simple as an insurance liability issue, or the city won't give permission (not likely since power is turned on, usually only possible with a final) - I doubt Tesla would hold up opening due to a missing cord - and if it was just Tesla's problem, they would temporary fence off just the SC's and open the rest of the lot - And may I suggest for those coming my direction, stop at the Stone Brewing Company in Escondido, great food, GREAT ambiance (cool architectual and landscaping elements), beer and wine selections AND two J-1772 free chargers (17mp/h) - enjoy the atmosphere or just relax in the car - while not fast, it is better than nothing to get the extra 7-8% (BTW, 1% of charge is about 2 1/2 miles) - I'm going to expound a bit - When I had my car in for service (windshield rock) the service writer told me I was one of only a few who watched my miles in %'s - Here is what I find - I watch % and then add the energy use graph if I want a read on miles, because the % is pretty dead on - put into NAV where you want to end up and the car will tell you in % what you will have when you arrive - I have checked it over and over and it is very accurate usually with 1 or 2 percent (2-5 miles, remember 2 1/2 miles per 1%) - it is much easier than EV trip planner - I believe it takes into account elevation change, road conditions and is based on the SPEED limit (or could be prior 30 minutes too) for its calculations - driving faster uses more energy - Along with that, I found a new app - POWER TOOLS - cost like $6 - ever wonder how fast your car really is 0-60 - this app will tell you automatically (run on 0-60timer), and of more importance, if you run it on vehicle tracker setting you can literally watch your energy use and you can tell if you are on a climbing or descending grade - really cool, tied directly into what Tesla sees reported from your car (does make me wonder about hacking though) - anyway, for what it is worth, those are my thoughts -

Maybe the parking lot is still marked "construction only" and closed to the public,
but the 11 supercharger arches are connected, powered, and functional?
Has anybody been able to try changing?

The pedestals are certainly powered, so I believe the Supercharger would be active. There are locked heavy chain link gates and fences, with "construction only" signage, blocking vehicular access to the entire parking lot.

This image is from the San Diego Tesla Facebook group, posted there by Mark.

11357218_10153363370393478_8088113573869543248_o.jpg

Last edited:
Liability in a 'construction' zone. When done and safe, it will open.

I agree with the HC access, but still, quit designating EV charge slots as 'parking spaces'. They are for charging (refueling) in the same vein as a gas station. There are no HC rules for gas stations.
We do not use these for parking.

There are no HC rules for gas stations.

I have noticed that considerable thought seems to have gone into improving the ADA access at the gas pumps / stations I used to frequent...And there are laws that have to be met regarding access....

http://www.ada.gov/gasserve.htm

You may be able to argue that a 30 or 60 minute fueling stop for a DC fast charge is "refueling", but a multi-hour Level 2 refueling stop looks a lot like "parking" to me....

Liability in a 'construction' zone. When done and safe, it will open.

I was told the construction fencing was supposed to come down on Friday, but is being left up until the supercharger issue is resolved.

I agree with the HC access, but still, quit designating EV charge slots as 'parking spaces'. They are for charging (refueling) in the same vein as a gas station. There are no HC rules for gas stations.
We do not use these for parking.

Based on my reading of the local code, it sounds like they went above and beyond the requirements. There is a requirement that a charging space needs to be accessible, but not that it be a blue ADA space.

Here is the Technical Policy 11B-1 for the City of San Diego...

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/industry/tpolicy11b1.pdf

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but according to the photo on the previous page, the access aisle appears to be on the wrong side of the marked parking spot. See page 3 in the attached link...It would be okay where it is IF there is another accessible spot to the left of the existing one (and have the access aisle in the middle), but with a single accessible spot the language says it is to be on the passenger side of the vehicle...

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but according to the photo on the previous page, the access aisle appears to be on the wrong side of the marked parking spot. See page 3 in the attached link...It would be okay where it is IF there is another accessible spot to the left of the existing one (and have the access aisle in the middle), but with a single accessible spot the language says it is to be on the passenger side of the vehicle...

Randy, as these are back-in charging spaces, the access aisle would appear to be on the passenger side of the marked handicap charging space. I think the issue is that the second pedestal is positioned such that a car charging in the (non-ADA) second spot to the left would have to park illegally over the access aisle.

Assuming the slope of the second spot is within requirements, there is a way to fix this with paint. Make the second spot the handicap space. Bend the access aisle left across the driveway such that the access aisle runs along the left edge of the second spot adjacent to the first spot. Repaint the 3rd spot to be a normal charging spot. That would effectively position the handicap space such that it would have access to the second pedestal with a normal length charge cable.

Last edited:

I see the opposite. II(b) says: "The space shall also include a 5 ft wide access aisle that extends the full depth of the vehicular space and located on the passenger side of the vehicle."

The access aisle is already on the passenger side of the car, though that's not a good policy, IMO.

Also, form II(c)(i): "The accessible EV charging station and its access aisle need not be striped or provided with signage as required for an accessible parking space."

So they didn't need to make this a blue HC-only parking space. What they do have to do according to II(c)(iii) is:

To identify an accessible EV charging station an informational sign must be posted which reads, “Parking for EV Charging Only; This Space Designed for Disabled Access; Use Last.” When an EV charging station is placed in conjunction with an accessible parking space this sign shall be omitted.

So there's a distinction between an "accessible EV charging station" and an "accessible parking space", which is a bit confusing, but it seems like Tesla had a choice, that they chose the (IMO) less favorable option.

What's going on today? I drove by earlier, and there were a lot of construction folks. Everything looks done, including parking lot access...Finding a way to get this open doesn't seem difficult -frustrating to think about all the folks stuck at sjc bc of this delay

For those of us who have been actively awaiting the opening of this SC, and knowing it could be any day now, is anyone willing to send out a group email/text when they see it's actually open? I check back here frequently but not the easiest to access from the app vs getting that good news via text or email I've been waiting for, for all this time!

Also, as a relatively new owner, who likes the idea of a free charge vs the $.17 per kWh through SDGE through my TOU EV2 plan, is it a BAD idea to charge more than 90%, upcwards of 100%, when I get access to a SC or a complimentary destination charger? Will I really be hurting my battery to charge occasionally to 95% or 100%? Am I hurting it by letting it get down to 10% or so before charging sometimes?

I figure the real cost of charging overnight at home is $14.45 for a full charge (85 kWh X $.17), so I'll admit if I can save a few fundred bucks a year, that seems very appealing. Many threads I read have people only paying $.04-$.10 per kWh at home, but here in SD, $.17 is certainly way cheaper than gas, but if I could charger once a week or so at a SC, that could save me a real $500 per year.

Am I just being too cheap, or is that fair math? And before I get trolled on my first ever post, I know the whole 'If you can buy a $100K car, don't nickel and dime over a few bucks, but $500 a year or so does make a dent in the EV charge costs.

Also, as a relatively new owner, who likes the idea of a free charge vs the $.17 per kWh through SDGE through my TOU EV2 plan, is it a BAD idea to charge more than 90%, upcwards of 100%, when I get access to a SC or a complimentary destination charger? Will I really be hurting my battery to charge occasionally to 95% or 100%? Am I hurting it by letting it get down to 10% or so before charging sometimes?

I would avoid going down to 10% and above 90% on a regular basis. You may be saving a few $100 a year, but your will be shortening the life of your battery, which is not a good trade IMHO.

Not to mention the range anxiety you will have on the days you are below 30-40%.

I recommend getting solar panels instead. You will save money in the long run, and have the piece of mind of having a full (well 90%) tank every morning without hassle.

He has solar, since he's on tou2..
I value my time as worth more than $10/hr (80 kwh in an hour at the rates you list). So, as a local, I will never be here unless I happen to need a charge and can't wait till night.

Yes, you may have a couple hundreds over the year, but look what you would have made if you spent 25% of that time doing what you do, and the rest using as recreation time for body and mind.