Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they are trying to re-install the 12th supercharger near the Disabled spot today.

current.jpg

I wish Tesla would go back to their original design, like the Tejon Ranch charger which has pull-in spots, plus is covered, plus has easy well-known food options right there, is right on a major highway, and is far enough from where Tesla owners live to discourage local use.

I think you need to visit more SCs, I just visited Las Vegas, I don't think you would complain about San Diego after visiting here.

I talked to the workers today while topping off the battery of my loaner (yes I am a local) and they are moving the handicap pedestal and the posts around the transformers are for a green screen. Also, the 5/6 pedestals on the handicap side are not available while the workers move the one pedestal and install the green screen.
image.jpg

OK. Now that the charger is live, and the conversation turned to math and engineering, pardon my 3 month newbie question, but hopefully someone can give me a fairly simple answer. As a side note, since I do almost all city driving, even with a light foot pegal, my P85+ gets about 200-220 miles on a full charge as I average about 355kWh. Since it's so far off the rated mile range, I switched my display to percentage of energy left, rather than rated miles. First off, how does my 355 kWh per hour compare to you guys, both those doing city driving and those on the highway? I know the p85+ supposedly gets lower than the 85, and no clue how it compares to the Ds.

More importantly, theoretically, charging to 100% (no, not saying I always do this, but go with me here) and driving down to 10% or so, which I have done, I should get about 76 kWh in the 'tank', but yet I'm getting around 60-65. Fairly consistant percentages here, where if I start at 70% and drive to 20%, using 50%, I should use 42.5 kWh, yet use around 30-33. Where is the rest of my power going? I run the radio all the time, have the display on half-brightness, run AC at usually speed 1 max at 69 degrees, so not too much. Where is all my 'other' power going? If I charge 10 kWh an home, shouldn't I get 10 kWh of drive miles, or damn close to it? I thought it might be going down through attrition if I didn't drive it for a few days, but see it consistantly at a lower rate than the amount of kWh it says I have 'in the tank'.

If I didn't know any better, I'd guess I had a P65. Sorry for the redundancy, but have to ask. I live for and love this car. But this one little math quirk is frustrating the hell out of me to figure out!

Thanks!

OK. Now that the charger is live, and the conversation turned to math and engineering, pardon my 3 month newbie question, but hopefully someone can give me a fairly simple answer. As a side note, since I do almost all city driving, even with a light foot pegal, my P85+ gets about 200-220 miles on a full charge as I average about 355kWh. Since it's so far off the rated mile range, I switched my display to percentage of energy left, rather than rated miles. First off, how does my 355 kWh per hour compare to you guys, both those doing city driving and those on the highway? I know the p85+ supposedly gets lower than the 85, and no clue how it compares to the Ds.

Thanks!
There's an existing thread Lifetime Average Wh/mi

Thanks but what about the latter part, which is really what I'm trying to figure out?

- - - Updated - - -

And damn. I've been driving so conservative lately. No launches, cruising around 70, not 80-85, so my 355 kinda sucks. Guess the P85+ part means the P and the + (still not exactly sure what the + is with regards to shocks and performance) jack up the average kWh, as do the 21 inch staggered wheels. That kinda sucks. But between this new SC station adn the solar at home, energy still should be pretty much free for me.

The real question will be when I say, aw screw it, to hell with the numbers, and start driving faster and harder and averaging 400. Let's see how the solar offsets the energy once we're not in the middle of summer.

But still hoping for answers to the latter part of my original post.

Thanks but what about the latter part, which is really what I'm trying to figure out?

- - - Updated - - -

And damn. I've been driving so conservative lately. No launches, cruising around 70, not 80-85, so my 355 kinda sucks. Guess the P85+ part means the P and the + (still not exactly sure what the + is with regards to shocks and performance) jack up the average kWh, as do the 21 inch staggered wheels. That kinda sucks. But between this new SC station adn the solar at home, energy still should be pretty much free for me.

The real question will be when I say, aw screw it, to hell with the numbers, and start driving faster and harder and averaging 400. Let's see how the solar offsets the energy once we're not in the middle of summer.

Have you spent anytime cruising at highway speeds? What I mean by that is 65 MPH for a steady 30-60 minutes. When I first got my P85, I was averaging well over 450. I was driving hard. I was also worried, and started to ease up a bit. It was not until I did some real highway travel that I got the numbers as advertised. It was longer before I trusted those numbers. Now, in the city, I could not care less what I get. I just drive the car and charge at home. Done. I know the range is there if I need it.

- - - Updated - - -

"There's a Thread for that...". Refer to Real Usable Battery Capacity and range and battery capacity, doing the math

It's a bit of a moving target as Telsa constantly "tweaks" the capacity and range algorithms with each firmware release, but it's true that Tesla does reserve some capacity in the battery to avoid "bricking". While the 85kWh battery does have close to that theoretical capacity when new, various reports put the useable capacity of the 85kWh battery at 77kWh. The Total Energy on the Since Last Charge display on the driver's dashboard reports energy consumed from the battery, i.e., if driven from 100% SoC to 0% SoC, the Total Energy would display around 77kWh. 50% of that useable capacity (e.g., driving from 70% capacity to 20% capacity, per your example) would equate to around 38.5kWh on the Total Energy display.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much in line with my experience, with a P85. The 21" wheels certainly use a lot more energy. San Diego isn't really very flat, so going up and down hurts. Air conditioning hurts (aside: there was an article somewhere recently that concluded that humans area more productive at something like 74deg...). Even the difference between 65 and 70 actually matters (it's about an 8% hit(!) unless you're drafting).

Thanks for those replies so far. I read those links to see it should be 76 kWh on a full charge. I still am in the 60's, though. I've had for 3 months and 2500 miles, though a year older with 20K before I got my p85+. So not sure if it's normal degradation, the fact that the 21s use more power (shouldn't be the case), or something else. I will see as I go through a full year if no AC at all helps/hurts much since I don't use much now anyway, and any heat used in the winter. Just disappointing bc I expected something in the 70's, not the 60's. No complaints, I'm happy as can be. Just odd to see such disparity in the energy used versus amount charged.

With the fencing still in place for the green screen construction those six spaces aren't easy to back into, however this owner should have taken a litte more time to back it in properly. Now we know how the Primm charger got run over. Backup challenged drivers.

Last edited: