Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - 16th St (LIVE 7 Jul 2023, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a 1000 kVA transformer installed here now for the superchargers. I’m unsure if there’s any other pending work either from Tesla or any other pending utility work. The transformer is not visible to us amateur photographers since it’s probably a sub-surface transformer (I don’t have eyes on the ground to personally confirm the type of transformer). EVGo is still waiting for their transformer.

There’s a 1000 kVA transformer installed here now for the superchargers. I’m unsure if there’s any other pending work either from Tesla or any other pending utility work. The transformer is not visible to us amateur photographers since it’s probably a sub-surface transformer (I don’t have eyes on the ground to personally confirm the type of transformer). EVGo is still waiting for their transformer.
When I was here ten days ago (forgot to post my pictures until now), it looked like at least some of the posts hadn't actually been wired up, despite having the cabinets and conduit runs in place for over a year now. There were a few large spools of wire onsite, and a few of the cabinets were opened far enough to see that they were not actually wired in.

IMG_1334.jpg

Don't know if they had to be redone, or of they were never actually wired up at all until recently. Looking back at an earlier photo of a charger with a cover off, that one didn't seem to be wired in before either.

Progress was also being made on what I guess is the connection to the more recently added CCS chargers:

IMG_1335.jpg
IMG_1336.jpg

Yeah, the switch to V3 pretty much doomed the urban supercharger type. The real impetus for the urban locations was that they didn't have the dynamic power sharing that the traditional V2 stalls did. But V3 solved that problem with a different approach, one that is much better than limiting all stalls to a static 72 kW.
Yes, hopefully, in this day and age there won't be anymore 72kW sloths. (At first, I thought it had
to be a "sweetheart" deal to get higher shopping traffic for the mall leaseholders.)

Wondering now whether Tesla has ever been known to rip out stalls to replace with more modern ones. Hard to do, along with adding new ones at the same location without planning some
overhead wattage margin at the outset.

Reactions: bb95570
Been waiting forever for this location to open. I don’t have charging in my condo garage and have been shopping at this Safeway since 2017. Will be a life saver once they come online!
I know how you feel, housing a Tesla in an apartment space in town without even 110V. FYI, there is a multi-stall EVgo
location which just opened up on 16th Street and South Van Ness, but this is only Tesla-adjacent in that it is CCS/Chademo
only which works for sufficiently newer Teslas with an adapter.

I know how you feel, housing a Tesla in an apartment space in town without even 110V. FYI, there is a multi-stall EVgo
location which just opened up on 16th Street and South Van Ness, but this is only Tesla-adjacent in that it is CCS/Chademo
Do you know the specific address or any more details for that? I wasn't able to find one in that area on the EVGo website or on Plugshare. That would be awesome to have a charger in the Mission!

Correction -- it's on 16th Street & Shotwell (not South Van Ness, one block away), northwest corner.
It's listed on Apple Maps, at least.
Ah, got it! Here's the link on PlugShare if anyone is curious:

It looks like the NW corner of 16th and Shotwell. Close to Stable Cafe and Gus's Market.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1100MCM
interesting, have you used it? it doesn't show up in the EVgo app and nobody has cheked in on plugshare yet to say they charged.

interesting, have you used it? it doesn't show up in the EVgo app and nobody has cheked in on plugshare yet to say they charged.
Someone checked in today and said none of the chargers that are accessible are even turned on (the other half is in a locked section). I don't think the site is officially active yet.

I'm more interested in the progress of the Safeway charger as per this thread, I didn't know it was in progress. Always good to have more options for charging in the city.
From a permit search,
EW202201140760
NEW 1200A SERVICE TO FEED 12 NEW V2 SUPERCHARGER FOR TESLA
5/22/2023 COMPLETE

Didn't find progress in any of the other permits (which some are not clear is necessarily the Tesla ones).

Last edited: