Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Barbara, CA (LIVE 4 Oct 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why Santa Barbara needs a Supercharger. Those traveling through whether north or south have the well placed Oxnard and Buellton Superchargers. Those living in Santa Barbara have their homes to charge. Those staying as tourists in Santa Barbara for a few days can always pick up some miles at the Tesla Service Center HPWC or any of the many Santa Barbara j1772's located around town.

I reviewed this thread and see no posts about a "permit". Please provide your source for the idea that a building permit was issued.

The "Permit" designation at supercharge.info more specifically refers to a site which has been chosen but is in the design and permitting process. Construction normally begins promptly once a permit has actually been issued. The time this has been in the "Permit" status certainly begs the question as to whether superchargers are really planned here.

I wonder why Santa Barbara needs a Supercharger. Those traveling through whether north or south have the well placed Oxnard and Buellton Superchargers. Those living in Santa Barbara have their homes to charge. Those staying as tourists in Santa Barbara for a few days can always pick up some miles at the Tesla Service Center HPWC or any of the many Santa Barbara j1772's located around town.

Eventually, Tesla will need superchargers in more sites than just Oxnard and Buellton - these locations (already) can get very busy. In the next three years, I wouldn't be surprised to see new SCs in King City/San Lucas, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, and Woodland Hills as Tesla fills in holes and gaps.

Someone in Santa Barbara could ask or call the Tesla dealer to inquire.
I was working in Santa Barbara for a week last December and it would have been nice to have. I used the dealer once while grabbing dinner and a free L2 charger in Goleta

New Someone in Santa Barbara could ask or call the Tesla dealer to inquire.
Just to clarify: there is no such thing as a "Tesla dealer". All Tesla showrooms and service centers are owned and operated by Tesla, they are not independent franchises like other auto manufacturers sell their cars through.

Anyone is welcome to call the Tesla location in Santa Barbara and ask them if a Supercharger is planned for that area, but they are unlikely to have any information to offer.

Just to clarify: there is no such thing as a "Tesla dealer". All Tesla showrooms and service centers are owned and operated by Tesla, they are not independent franchises like other auto manufacturers sell their cars through.

Anyone is welcome to call the Tesla location in Santa Barbara and ask them if a Supercharger is planned for that area, but they are unlikely to have any information to offer.

Yeah bad habit ie. using Dealer vs. Showroom

I was told that the SB permit was applied for at the opening of the service center event, and even that there will be a waiting room, (already there) that will be available after hours for anyone who needs to supercharge there.

Circular fences have been written about many times on the TMC forums. Keep in mind that WE, here on the TMC forums, ARE THE
S O U R C E. Supercharge.info then applies the appropriate dot to THE SUPERCHARGE.INFO maps, but only after we have provided the evidence. Hard copy evidence such as photos, copies of online permits highlighting the pertinent information etc. The information cannot just be something we 'heard' or "read somewhere' with out showing the documentation. It is our responsibility to get out there and photograph, copy, link, highlight, video, drone footage, touch our information and then scribe here on TMC for all to read. Then we can send such information to Blueshift for his review and dot placement.

As far as this thread is concerned, we seem to be riding a circular fence once again. It is my opinion that we HAVE NOT provided any evidence that a permit for a supercharging station in Santa Barbara CA exists. I think Blueshift should remove the blue dot from this location until such time we present him with satisfactory information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4SUPER9
I had a chat with one of the folks at the SB SC last week, good people down there. When I asked "so, when is it happening?" The answer was "we wish it would've already happened but we are maxing out the power already with what we have here now." Not sure if this is fact or conjecture on their part, but that's what I was told. Truly, we need one in SLO or Morro Bay. Folks that are taking Hwy 1 don't want or need to travel inland to Atascadero to supercharge. The fact that Hwy 41 has been closed with mudslides makes the point even more obvious. That stretch from Monterey to Buelton is a long one without a stop to power up.