Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Scotch Corner Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got a letter so have visited the hotel to protest. They have cancelled the ‘invoice’ on their system as I was photographed prior to the 18th December.

I have attached a photo from today showing the poor signage and lack of illumination.

Attachments

• 8CD6FFE7-BD83-4A5E-9B99-0EDE1C692BC8.jpeg
    8CD6FFE7-BD83-4A5E-9B99-0EDE1C692BC8.jpeg
    840.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 4E952320-061F-4D12-8794-91336FC0BCDF.jpeg
    4E952320-061F-4D12-8794-91336FC0BCDF.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 180
I also got a letter so have visited the hotel to protest. They have cancelled the ‘invoice’ on their system as I was photographed prior to the 18th December.

I have attached a photo from today showing the poor signage and lack of illumination.

That cannot be appropriate signage surely. I approach the "Tombstones" from the right to remove the plug and after a long drive would not be bothered to read such a pathetic bit of paper.
Bye Bye Holiday Inn. I have your reward points business card and used them regularly but won't be using them in future.

I’ve previously read that forum members have added to the signs for the benefit of other users so it could be that the paper notices are from them. Also, I doubt that Parking Eye have permission to add signage onto the Tesla chargers.

All they are doing is inconveniencing their customers, why would anybody park at that hotel other than to use their facilities? There's a massive free car park over the road at the services.

The carpark at the services is also limited to 2hrs free and ANPR controlled with fines for overstaying.

These locations at transport interchanges do have a legitimate problem with parking - people who want to go on a trip together meeting up at the services and leaving one car there while they go off in the other.

Certainly the means of enforcement could be better (as documented here and elsewhere), but they do need to do something.

The annoying thing about this is that Parking Eye have ANPR technology in use, they have the technology/ability to find the make, model, owner's name, address etc, yet they don't have the technology to be able to link the make of the car to the charger location provider. It would seem to be very simple for Parking Eye to just link a Tesla being detected with some sort of "no further action" tag, exactly as they already do for the cars registered to the hotel staff, etc.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Actually filtering like that would imply good intentions. Parking Eye just want money, they're not interested in exceptions..
Exactly this.
They are a bunch of rogues who think nothing of bamboozling members of the public in court for money. Thei only concern is profits.
There are far easier and fairer ways of managing parking spaces than APNR and taking people to court for alleged breach of contracts. A simple ticket and barrier system, for example.
Don't forget Parking Eye PAY car park owner's to manage their sites. They do this knowing that they can make money. Being simple and transparent is not in their interests.

The carpark at the services is also limited to 2hrs free and ANPR controlled with fines for overstaying.

These locations at transport interchanges do have a legitimate problem with parking - people who want to go on a trip together meeting up at the services and leaving one car there while they go off in the other.

Certainly the means of enforcement could be better (as documented here and elsewhere), but they do need to do something.

Bigger carparks? Longstay ticket machines or fee options?

Every EV charging system, on private property, has their own terms and conditions. Would it not be easier and more proper to follow their rules than to look for ways to circumvent them.
If you need to register...then you should register prior to pluggin in.

It's been pointed out that going into a hotel to register on a crummy tablet screen while there's a pandemic on isn't exactly appropriate social distancing. Nobody is looking to "circumvent" anything.

All it needs is the APNR to be setup so it ignores any car that leaves within 2hrs.
They're never going to do that when a proportion of people will just pay the invoice without doing any checking (and it is a spurious invoice, not a fine. A private limited company cannot issue fines).
The Private Parking Company"s goal is to make as much money as possible. Actually giving a damn about parking or a driver's wellbeing is a very distant secondary concern.
Its a scummy industry full of chancers and it should have been legislated out of existence years ago.

Every EV charging system, on private property, has their own terms and conditions. Would it not be easier and more proper to follow their rules than to look for ways to circumvent them.
If you need to register...then you should register prior to pluggin in.

The PPCs very often don't follow their own rules, so why should we. Look into the history of the PPC industry and you will soon realise that it is, shall we say, less than gleaming. Suspect solicitors (including one who was struck off yet continued to trade under a different name), solicitor firms with direct links to the PPCs, PPCs barred from accessing DVLA due to abuses of the information, the whole POPLA shenanigans a few years ago, the list goes on and on. It's a grubby industry and it only exists to fleece drivers.

There is a need for parking control but what the UK currently has is far from optimal. There are far simpler solutions to parking control than automated number-plate recognition and suing people for alleged breach of contracts. Automated barriers, collect a ticket on entry and pay on exit, for example. The fact that the majority of PPCs use a complicated expensive APNR system with remote servers shows that their primary goal is revenue generation and not parking control.

My number plate is routinely misread by ANPR systems, has been for years, and is a good example as to why ANPR shouldn't be considered to be reliable. In my case, I'm so used to this problem that if I'm staying at any car park that relies on ANPR for proof of payment (airport pre-payment parking in the main, I've found) I don't even attempt to leave the car park without calling to notify them that the barrier almost certainly won't let me out. I've learned over the years that failing to do this just leaves me blocking the exit, often with cars queued up behind. The problem seems consistent, the third digit of my plate gets misread and interpreted as a letter. Doesn't matter which car the plate's been on, ANPR invariably misreads the third digit. I suppose the good news is that I'm probably immune from getting caught by Parking Eye, but otherwise it's just a nuisance.

• Funny
The annoying thing about this is that Parking Eye have ANPR technology in use, they have the technology/ability to find the make, model, owner's name, address etc, yet they don't have the technology to be able to link the make of the car to the charger location provider. It would seem to be very simple for Parking Eye to just link a Tesla being detected with some sort of "no further action" tag, exactly as they already do for the cars registered to the hotel staff, etc.
without wishing to defend these crooks, their ANPR system cannot identify the driver/owner/address etc as all it does is record the VRM which they then use to contact DVLA for the relevant information. Private companies do not have direct legal access to the information, it is only for police/councils etc

without wishing to defend these crooks, their ANPR system cannot identify the driver/owner/address etc as all it does is record the VRM which they then use to contact DVLA for the relevant information. Private companies do not have direct legal access to the information, it is only for police/councils etc

Anyone can get the make and model of car from just the VRM though, it's not restricted to the police, councils etc. Loads of websites allow this to be checked in seconds, including sites like Autotrader, We buy any car, insurance companies, price comparison sites, etc. Try it:

Sell My Car online today with Auto Trader UK

Get a Free Car Valuation in Seconds at We Buy Any Car®

If I type in my reg number it immediately pops up as a Tesla Model 3, with the full model details, so it would be dead easy to apply a blanket exemption to Tesla's, as it's a fair assumption that the vast majority of Tesla's visiting that location will be using the superchargers.

Anyone can get the make and model of car from just the VRM though, it's not restricted to the police, councils etc. Loads of websites allow this to be checked in seconds, including sites like Autotrader, We buy any car, insurance companies, price comparison sites, etc. Try it:

Sell My Car online today with Auto Trader UK

Get a Free Car Valuation in Seconds at We Buy Any Car®

If I type in my reg number it immediately pops up as a Tesla Model 3, with the full model details, so it would be dead easy to apply a blanket exemption to Tesla's, as it's a fair assumption that the vast majority of Tesla's visiting that location will be using the superchargers.
I can get the make and model just by looking out of a window, an 'assumption' that all Tesla's are visiting the chargers is not legally good enough therefore the rules apply to everyone using the car park whether to charge or not.