Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seattle, WA - NE Northgate Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the utility rates for 700kW demand and see what it is... just because your house is $0.13 doesn’t mean industrial rates are the same.

(Yes usually commercial and industrial rates per unit are lower (per kWh) then residential, but they get demand chargers tacked on for how much power they are pulling during high demand times. Get four or five cars plugging in all somewhere between 100kW and 250kW and things add up FAST.)

Someone has to pay for the infrastructure cost, and that is you (and me, although I'm too close to this one to use it too). So 30 cents per kWh is about normal for Washington State, I've never seen less than 28 cents per kWH. It's still way cheaper than gasoline. I made a road trip to CA last week and paid 35 cents some places. Still it worked out as 8 cents per mile by the time I got home, which is equivalent to getting 44mpg while going at 75mph most of the time. Since the dieselgate fixes were applied, there's no ICE cars that get anything near that low a cost. Be happy: you own a Tesla and it's cheap to run.
I understand your thoughts and mostly agree. I’m just surprised, Tesla’s pricing does reflect the local marketplace. The California pricing of $.35 is not much more than the residential rate, while the WA rate is much more than the local rate. I also paid approx. $.08/mile on my trip from CA.

I understand your thoughts and mostly agree. I’m just surprised, Tesla’s pricing does reflect the local marketplace. The California pricing of $.35 is not much more than the residential rate, while the WA rate is much more than the local rate. I also paid approx. $.08/mile on my trip from CA.
I actually thought Tesla tried to go to a more uniform pricing nation wide to simplify it for owners awhile back... some areas would be closer to residential rates while others would be much higher.

I actually thought Tesla tried to go to a more uniform pricing nation wide to simplify it for owners awhile back... some areas would be closer to residential rates while others would be much higher.
No, exactly the opposite. They used to have uniform pricing on a state-by-state basis. Then Tesla switched to individual location pricing where they set prices for each supercharger. That's what it's been for a while now. Where people get confused is that they thought Tesla was reporting a single price for the whole country, but Tesla's page that seemed to show the cost of supercharging was reporting the average price for locations that bill by kWh and by minute. If you didn't pay attention to the notes explaining what the figure meant, you would easily get the mistaken impression that they had switched to a single price. But that wasn't the case.

@Chuq @MarcoRP the location on supercharge.info is not correct. See the green dot in picture below.
F1AC0D0A-9EF6-48E3-B01E-C671DBE13205.png

Someone has to pay for the infrastructure cost, and that is you (and me, although I'm too close to this one to use it too). So 30 cents per kWh is about normal for Washington State, I've never seen less than 28 cents per kWH. It's still way cheaper than gasoline. I made a road trip to CA last week and paid 35 cents some places. Still it worked out as 8 cents per mile by the time I got home, which is equivalent to getting 44mpg while going at 75mph most of the time. Since the dieselgate fixes were applied, there's no ICE cars that get anything near that low a cost. Be happy: you own a Tesla and it's cheap to run.
If you have a free morning, go up to Lynnwood charger by the Fred Meyer and it's tiered;
19/kWh I stead of the standard .30/kWh in WA state.

PS just did a trip to Montana and it was .25/kWh state wide

If you charge after 7pm or on Sundays you can get $0.17 from the City of Seattle Chademo DC chargers. Pretty sure that's the cheapest DC charging rate per I've found anywhere in the NW.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
FYI for tiered charging!!

Off-Peak charging is cheaper for a reason as the rate is throttled (~63 kW / 266 mi/hr)

Haven't tested but assuming On-Peak you'd get much faster charging rates

Keep in mind that the rate charged is when you finish! It will retro the charging obtaining during Off-Peak if you complete during the On-Peak time slot

Off-Peak charging is cheaper for a reason as the rate is throttled (~63 kW / 266 mi/hr)

Keep in mind that the rate charged is when you finish! It will retro the charging obtaining during Off-Peak if you complete during the On-Peak time slot
Definitely not that much. Wednesday morning I went there 9am, forgot to turn on the navigation so no pre-heating, and got 82kw at 40%.

I highly doubt this is the case. There are a number of reasons why you may have gotten a slower charge rate. The most likely are high SOC and cold battery.

This is a bug that will need to be corrected. Obviously it would be maddening if there were a queue waiting and people were overcharging and trying to wait until 8:01pm to unplug just to get the cheaper rate.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I highly doubt this is the case. There are a number of reasons why you may have gotten a slower charge rate. The most likely are high SOC and cold battery.
I agree, it makes no sense to limit charging in off-peak hours, it makes more sense to limit during peak-hours for Tesla to avoid the utility company's demand charges that apply to the entire month based on peak electric usage for the site. @BlueGonzo's comments about a cheaper rate would be throttled seems to forget that the rates are not per minute but per kWh. The $$$ cost to charge to a given SOC is the same if done slowly or rapidly.

Reactions: Long Ranger
It seems like there are a few superchargers where the navigation gets you into a parking lot then you need to hunt. When I went to Northgate the first time, I was hoping they at least listed the level of the parking garage to look on. I only had a vague idea of where to look from PLUS EV’s detective work as it was being developed.

It seems like there are a few superchargers where the navigation gets you into a parking lot then you need to hunt.
In the early days (think pre-Model 3), this was a massive problem. I even remember some parking garage superchargers that were on the 6th floor or something and the blue line only led you to the parking garage entrance (and sometimes it was the wrong entrance!).

Then it got better. So much better that I stopped arguing with the blue line. Even if it didn't seem to make sense at first, I followed it and always got to the supercharger.

But yeah, I've noticed this at Northgate, and I've noticed the problem cropping up again here and there. I've had a couple in Canada that led me to the right parking lot but the dot was nowhere near where the actual supercharger was. Not that big a deal, but it definitely is helpful when they get it right!

Reactions: chrstna4 and whitex
It seems like there are a few superchargers where the navigation gets you into a parking lot then you need to hunt. When I went to Northgate the first time, I was hoping they at least listed the level of the parking garage to look on. I only had a vague idea of where to look from PLUS EV’s detective work as it was being developed.
Part of the problem here could be that this area is still under construction and maps may not have captured all of the recent changes.