Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux Falls, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the site yesterday. I talked with a worker from the contractor and he said the supercharger should be open in two weeks.

I noted that five of the slots have signs that state "tesla charging only" three have the standard "OK to park for 30 minutes".
So, at least I will be able to embarrass those ICE cars with my sharpie pen and Post-it notes that I leave on their windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_8062.JPG
    IMG_8062.JPG
    751.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8063.JPG
    IMG_8063.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: jvonbokel
Thanks for the photos @mdX- it's great to see more activity!

I'm in MPLS now, but have family in SF and am back often.

What do you mean "risk to being ICEd"?

Hey! Give me and my Wife a call the next time you come in town. You can find me on PlugShare on the south east side of town. I am not in town very often but if I am, we can share my 48 AMP charge station and my deck to watch the sunset.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Hello Swamey1 and all. I will be checking again on Thursday afternoon.

Swamey1, when is "late in the week? I will be home Thursday Afternoon and night This week. When Are you coming through? I would love to talk Tesla. We are listed on plug share On the south east side of the city. Free Tesla 40 amp charging, Sunsets and wine Are available on my back deck whenever I am in town.

Hello Swamey1 and all. I will be checking again on Thursday afternoon.

Swamey1, when is "late in the week? I will be home Thursday Afternoon and night This week. When Are you coming through? I would love to talk Tesla. We are listed on plug share On the south east side of the city. Free Tesla 40 amp charging, Sunsets and wine Are available on my back deck whenever I am in town.
Would love to stop in, however headed with the family to Mount Rushmore for the inaugural road trip in the X. (total of 7 of us coming through). I believe we are set for next Thursday Morning. I planned on stopping by the other SC under construction along I90 on the way there too to post some new pics from that SC location

Reactions: lightfoot3b
Would love to stop in, however headed with the family to Mount Rushmore for the inaugural road trip in the X. (total of 7 of us coming through). I believe we are set for next Thursday Morning. I planned on stopping by the other SC under construction along I90 on the way there too to post some new pics from that SC location
I hope to do the same this Saturday on my back to Western ND from MSP.

Still no electricity! So I called the City and then Muth Electric Contractors [who installed the system].
Ben at Muth says Xcel power, the SD utility, hasn't brought out the transformer yet. Muth is expecting an 800 amp transformer.
I called Xcel (3 departments) and was on hold ...................................... Left a VM so we'll see.................
View attachment 253802
CROSS FINGERS, would be really nice if it was up this week at some point. (Coming through Thursday morning, but will plan on the Worthington for now)

Xcel Energy Sioux Falls South Dakota called me this morning. He said they hope to have the transformer on site and connected by the end of this week. Then the city will be contacted and do their inspection.

So, with good luck, it will be up and charging next week, I Am Hoping!

It would definitely take some luck because after the city does its inspection, Tesla has to come to the site and activate it. While it could easily be some time next week, don't be surprised if it doesn't take another 2 or 3 weeks (or more). I've followed the supercharger build out since there were 10 sites and I'm always shocked that the last couple of items like these take as long as the actual construction sometimes.

We travel a lot (53,000 miles in 16 months, 24 states & 105 different Superchargers) and it is first truly amazing what Tesla has accomplished, but the variety of the time element in station completion is baffling. It has been 10 months since the Austin, TX station got started and it is STILL not open and the Freeport, ME station was started and is open and NOW charging in about 30 days. The Larime, WY station construction crew was out of Oklahoma and last minute tweaking required a 10 hour drive, and the Fort Stockton, TX permit has taken 300+ days. I think there are a lot of political issues in Texas, and areas where Teslas are very welcome and for me personally, I am ecstatic about each new SC opening. When the entire oil and auto industry is against you, it is so heartening to see the build out moving so fast in spite of the flak. The other issue is how many people still believe electric cars are not "real practice vehicles". In our wanderings we meet people all the time who have never heard of Tesla, and it is so much fun to demonstrate how real (and quick) the Tesla is. It is very easy to turn folks into believers.

We travel a lot (53,000 miles in 16 months, 24 states & 105 different Superchargers)...
Please join us at the Most Superchargers Visited thread!:

Superchargers Visited

Also, superchargers in remote places with few nearby Tesla owners, such as Freeport, ME, often go undiscovered for quite a while so when they open they appear to have been built extremely fast, but it's likely that we were just unaware of the early stages of the permit/construction process. It's been a while but sometimes a supercharger just appears in the Nav completely out of the blue. I know this was the case with Page, Arizona as an example.