Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - South Padre Island, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This looks awesome, how much do these things cost Tesla to set up? Tesla could use a bunch of these for vacation spots like Ruidoso, or routes that require long stops because there's noting above Level 2 on the way. Glad to see them adding these to their arsenal.

Reactions: Utexas98
This is great - I was planning a trip to the coast (i live in Fort Worth - just a short 8 hour jog across the state) - Just to get out of the brutal North Texas winter into someplace warm.
Was looking for places to get some go juice - now I really do not have to worry.
Staying at hotels with destination chargers is nice, but coordinating with other guests and over night charging gets old - quickly. With the supercharging process, knowing they will be charged and out of there relatively quickly will be really good ( especially as the per minute charge when 50% filled will always be met with only two holes - to use the old outhouse term).

So the old Schlitterbahn is being heavily remodeled. They have the area cordoned off, but the supercharger is still working as of today. As long as the construction guys dont block it with their trucks.

Attachments

• 20191223_095909_HDR.jpg
    20191223_095909_HDR.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Here checking it out right now. Happy to have one on the island, but this is going to be a bad location in the summer. The parking lot will be harder to enter with security and the spots are by the hotels front door. So I would expect people to park here when they check in. I hope not. But if so there are lots of destination chargers in the island. Spots are right in the corner of the water park and the Sapphire.

Attachments

• F8165412-CFD2-45CD-B4DD-00DF7B203DA3.jpeg
    F8165412-CFD2-45CD-B4DD-00DF7B203DA3.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 93
ok. I stand corrected. I guess I've never seen an urban charger. they look different and work slowly.

They look different and work as intended. :)

They're kinda like a beefed up destination charger IMO...or maybe that's what they should have put there. Well, maybe that's not fair. A good destination charger is 13ish kW whereas these will get you 72.

But they are not paired, so you can be right next to another Tesla and still get the full 72kW (depending on...the usual stuff).

If you're ever out in LA these things are everywhere out there. I've seen places with 24 or more of these Urban chargers in one spot...and most of them in use.... California is crazy like that. .