Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once this station is online, I think we as a community should blitz National Harbor with the message they should drop the $5 Parking fee for Tesla’s that are plugged in. I live mid way between these two stations and will shift all of my biz to the Springfield mall given the $5 difference in price of admission.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Once this station is online, I think we as a community should blitz National Harbor with the message they should drop the $5 Parking fee for Tesla’s that are plugged in. I live mid way between these two stations and will shift all of my biz to the Springfield mall given the $5 difference in price of admission.
Ps. And I intend to let the managers of the restaurants I use while charging know why I will be dining in Springfield. Pressure from tennents probably means more.

Reactions: Big Earl
390597AD-759C-487A-9157-CB9174125E71.jpeg
12B0D2A5-8759-42F0-928A-0C1D9E2C9A66.jpeg
16D26EEC-B14D-4B71-AFBC-FDB7D2A2C311.jpeg

The electrician was working on the Supercharger cabinet wiring this evening.

If you are on 95 north getting to the chargers is quick, if you are coming from the beltway then it takes a couple loops and turns etc. Good food options, shops, and much better than paying at National Harbor. The mall also has 6 ChargePoint chargers in the garage near Dicks and Macys
Am I going to be mixed more at the mixing bowl to get to the supercharger?

This morning I finally caught a crew out at the new "large" Royal Farms site at South Riding. It's looking more like a strip center than just a gas station. I ask one of the lead guys with Rogers if he has seen a site plan yet. He has not, he actually said the site keeps changing daily. He said there still just trying to level the site and get sewer and water started. Electrical is the last utility to be installed on site. It's still early in the game, but I would have thought the whole concept for the site would be on paper by now. The main guy was driving around the site and i didnt want to wait for him to return. I'll keep asking.

Back to this SC location.

This morning I finally caught a crew out at the new "large" Royal Farms site at South Riding. It's looking more like a strip center than just a gas station. I ask one of the lead guys with Rogers if he has seen a site plan yet. He has not, he actually said the site keeps changing daily. He said there still just trying to level the site and get sewer and water started. Electrical is the last utility to be installed on site. It's still early in the game, but I would have thought the whole concept for the site would be on paper by now. The main guy was driving around the site and i didnt want to wait for him to return. I'll keep asking.

Back to this SC location.

So is Loudon getting a supercharger?

No idea, the site is large and only noted a Royal Farms was being built. now they have excavated more of the site to a point it's looking more like a strip center than just a gas station.

It was discussed on another thread, Grasonville MD where a Royal Farm has 12 super chargers and at a second site in Rehoboth beach WAWA. Sheetz was also getting into the game. So it was logical to dream or assume this site might be getting one also. It is right on RT.50 and makes sense. There are a lot of Tesla's in the area.

No idea, the site is large and only noted a Royal Farms was being built. now they have excavated more of the site to a point it's looking more like a strip center than just a gas station.

It was discussed on another thread, Grasonville MD where a Royal Farm has 12 super chargers and at a second site in Rehoboth beach WAWA. Sheetz was also getting into the game. So it was logical to dream or assume this site might be getting one also. It is right on RT.50 and makes sense. There are a lot of Tesla's in the area.

I live in the area and if this becomes a reality, that would be awesome...however, I highly doubt it because they are trying to place Superchargers in high traffic areas near major interstates. While Rt. 50 has a lot of weekday traffic, it's a lot of "local" traffic and commuters going to/from home from the nearby communities. Putting a SC in South Riding/Loudoun away from the Toll Road/Greenway would seem to go against Tesla's philosophy of supercharging while doing more long distance driving/traveling, not where they believe owners should charge at home.

You're welcome! Hopefully the regular interval gives people a good idea of order of component installation. I'm surprised how fast progress has been with only two or three people working on site.

Thank you for these updates!

Looking through the pictures some more, I see that they've installed the pylons that will protect the switchgear and other electrical equipment from damage due to pedal misapplication (a concern that was raised in the electrical permit review). The meter base is also installed now. Still waiting for the main transformer to be delivered.

Reactions: jthompson
I'm surprised how fast progress has been with only two or three people working on site.

It's the machine building the machines:p

Once these guys get down the process they run on Automatic. Plus the machines take care of the hard work. you would be amazed what those guys do with a backhoe.

Has the power company run there line from the Pole to the site? I know they can show up with a precast pad and the transformer and do that in a day, but we need the primary run. That could be some tricky directional boring and take a few more days, when the poewr company has the time.

Thanks for posting the picks.

Just learned from a Tesla salesman that there’s a great website (better than Tesla’s) for monitoring new supercharger sites:

supercharge.info

Note, that’s “supercharge”, not “supercharger”. They monitor permits and construction. The surprise Springfield Mall site is on there and a permit was issued for the promised Fairfax, VA supercharger. Nothing there yet on Tysons or Arlington, VA.