Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Stockton, CA (LIVE 13 Nov 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Love
Reactions: Familyfirstj
I just saw the Modesto thread with the transformer having arrived. Took about 3 months there compared to 6 here. Modesto is less than an hour away and PGE territory as well.
Modesto is MID. It’s a completely different electric provider than PG&E so timelines and procurement for transformers are completely different which partly explains the difference.

Why can't tesla order the transformer from somewhere else and install it themselves? This is a bit ridiculous. 6+ month wait for a transformer.
Tesla has no direct say or involvement with the transformer. The electric utility is the one responsible for procurement and ordering from transformer manufacturers. In rare cases they may stock them but big pad mounted transformers like at most supercharger sites are usually not laying in utility warehouses ready for installation: they have to be ordered.

I checked Accela and saw that the electrical service/panel was approved on Monday (July 1) with a comment of "Service release inspection is approved. Verified grounding per SLD and main breaker exceeds AIC/SCI rating provided in PG&E letter. Meter release issued." It was previously disapproved in January with the comment "#1 Provide PG&E commitment letter with AIC from utility transformer. #2 Terminate GEC(s) to ground bus of switch gear."

Thanks for the updates Pluto. We are waiting for this charger long ago. I am glad to see improvement after hold back for a while.
Same here, I would’ve totally used this charging station back when I lived here. Unfortunately because of the virus I haven’t physically been at work, otherwise I’d provide more updates. I definitely appreciate the updates you guys have been providing since I’ve been stuck at home!

Tesla has also been great with working on so many charging locations in the northern portion of San Joaquin Valley. I think it might have to do with trying to sell Teslas to a larger demographic, especially to truck owners. Maybe they’ll open a store pr service center somewhere here, though that’s complete speculation.

I'm hoping they get this one going soon. I need to drive my Niece down to see her Grandparents in Stockton (from Carson City, NV) next month and I'd really like to just take 88 both ways. If there is no SC in Stocton I'm going to have to come home over 50 so I can stop in Folsom or Placerville, which will force me through Sacramento traffic and add at least 30-45m to the trip.

They originally had plans to put a SC at Kirkwood, which would have worked too, but it's since been converted to a destination charger on the map.

I guess I could loop down to Manteca instead, but that’s completely the wrong way.

I'm hoping they get this one going soon. I need to drive my Niece down to see her Grandparents in Stockton (from Carson City, NV) next month and I'd really like to just take 88 both ways. If there is no SC in Stocton I'm going to have to come home over 50 so I can stop in Folsom or Placerville, which will force me through Sacramento traffic and add at least 30-45m to the trip.

They originally had plans to put a SC at Kirkwood, which would have worked too, but it's since been converted to a destination charger on the map.

I guess I could loop down to Manteca instead, but that’s completely the wrong way.

Yeah, I imagine that they may have decided that Kirkwood's electrical connection wasn't amenable to SC loads...

Why not take 88-124-49 from Stockton to Placerville? Only ~15 minutes longer than just taking 88, and you avoid Sacramento...

Yeah, I imagine that they may have decided that Kirkwood's electrical connection wasn't amenable to SC loads.....

Not so long ago, the whole Kirkwood valley was powered by their own small utility and 100% of their power was made on-site with diesel generators. Electricity for homeowners was expensive enough to make even PG&E blush.

Not sure if that’s still the case, my first hand knowledge is 10 years old at this point - but if so I can see a supercharger being a non-starter.

Not so long ago, the whole Kirkwood valley was powered by their own small utility and 100% of their power was made on-site with diesel generators. Electricity for homeowners was expensive enough to make even PG&E blush.

Not sure if that’s still the case, my first hand knowledge is 10 years old at this point - but if so I can see a supercharger being a non-starter.
No Tesla was well into supercharger planning at Kirkwood Station on Hwy 88 but paused/dropped the project in 2018. My sense was that they couldn't quite close negotiations with Vail (who owns the land) on a lease agreement so they dropped it for now. They may try again at a future date, though. Regardless, I don't think power access or electrical pricing was the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Tectonic
Why not take 88-124-49 from Stockton to Placerville? Only ~15 minutes longer than just taking 88, and you avoid Sacramento...

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know this path existed. I was just going on the options offered by Tesla and ABRP. Looking at Google maps that does seem like a good route to go and would allow me to bypass Sacremento which would be great. Probably going to make this trip in a couple weeks, and it sounds like the SC in Stockton wont be up and running by then, so I'll have to take this route home.

Reactions: Tectonic