Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sweetwater, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Iced at Sweetwater! Only 2 stalls available last night. Some people just don't care!!

Attachments

• 253D2213-23C5-431D-A1D5-27354695E55C.jpeg
    253D2213-23C5-431D-A1D5-27354695E55C.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 206
Iced at Sweetwater! Only 2 stalls available last night. Some people just don't care!!

Agreed.
Spent the night there charging at the Hotel July 20.
One other Tesla (Model S), and three pickup type vehicles in three other stalls.

In the further out-of-the-way Supercharger locations, it seems most people have little clue what the space is actually intended to be used for.

As Tesla grows and those ICEd stalls become increasingly occupied, a slow wave of angry model 3 owners with pick axes and places to go will begin to angrily hunt ICE'd vehicles.... first you will see nasty notes, then the following year, deflated tires.... then of course, will come the multitude of soccer moms going full squat and taking dumps on the hood of cars in the coveted supercharger spots.... be warned.

I wonder if Tesla is looking into leasing nearby land to help with the parking situation. Looking at the situation using Google Maps the existing hotel parking lot is already not large enough to accommodate every room on a busy night. If Tesla built another Supercharger in the area there would just be a persistent ICEing problem here. Maybe Tesla should consider what it would take to relieve the parking situation and double the capacity of this location while they are at it.

This one's probably mostly clear by day; but at night the hotel staff will suggest people take Supercharger spaces, as their parking lot runs out of regular spaces. (This was happening in July at least). Not great.
I overheard the same instructions from the front desk lady at Van Horn and their lot had plenty of spaces. I did politely ask her to stop doing that to which she said "the chargers almost never get used." Then I had to give her the whole "imagine if there was only one gas station in a 100 mile radius" speech. I also explained that 2 of the stalls didn't work whatsoever and some of the others were very slow, which is of course Tesla's failing, but definitely exacerbates the problem when the good stalls might get ICEd.

Hotels are bad choices for locating supercharger because most of the people who are parking there are parking overnight. Also, it feels weird to use the hotel facilities (lobby, restrooms etc) if you are not a guest. I think Tesla understands this now, most of the newer sites are not in hotels parking lots.

Reactions: brkaus
Hotels are bad choices for locating supercharger because most of the people who are parking there are parking overnight. Also, it feels weird to use the hotel facilities (lobby, restrooms etc) if you are not a guest. I think Tesla understands this now, most of the newer sites are not in hotels parking lots.
I actually kind of like the hotel superchargers. Just wish they would *not* put the supercharger in a prime parking area and that when necessary they would use cones to prevent late night ICEing.

The following are some of the advantages of hotel superchargers:

a) you can stay at the hotel! I plug in, check in, get settled in my room, kill a few more minutes if necessary and then go back down and get my car when it hits 90%. Sure HPWCs and other L2 hotel chargers work fine for charging overnight, but they are much less reliable than superchargers, both in terms of getting ICEd (or used by other EVs) and power reliability. If I'm trying to make good time on a road trip, I'll pick the hotel with the supercharger over the hotel with L2 charging just about every time.

b) There is almost always a clean, usually single stall bathroom in the hotel lobby. This is pretty much always the case at Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express and there are many of those that host superchargers. As a guy, I will go #1 just about anywhere but hotel superchargers are a good spot to go #2. Available 24/7 as well.

c) These hotels are often near Denny's, Starbucks or other fast food options.

d) The lobby is open 24/7 and they are not that bad of places to hang out. I'm usually reading things on my laptop or phone and it's much more pleasant to get out of the car for a bit and do it in the lobby than it is to stay in the car when I'm on a long trip. There are often people who want to chat as well if that's what you're into. Especially when they hear you are driving a Tesla. Even the front desk staff are often curious. You usually get FREE ice water and sometimes they offer you a cookie or fresh fruit as well.

These pics were taken about 15 minutes after a confrontation with this gentleman. The angle of the pic is deceiving. He was fully blocking 6 of the 8 stalls with his truck and trailer and effectively blocking a 7th because if anyone squeezed in there they would have been trapping him in between their Tesla and his trailer.

So I parked in the last remaining (handicapped) stall. I approached the truck and politely said “Be sure not to leave your truck here, because if anyone else needs to charge, they might squeeze in and block you in.” Note that I never even told him to move even though that’s obviously what should have been done. He wasn’t at all polite but he did say he was going to hook up the trailer and leave in about 10 minutes, so I figured that was that. But then as I walked off he rolled down his window and shouted at me saying I should mind my own business. I’m not really one to shy away from confrontation so I engaged him and he just yelled at me for a while. Even had the gall to point to all the other parking spaces saying that I should park there. At first I thought he didn’t understand these were EV spots so I pointed that out to him explaining why I needed to park there and not just any old parking spot. But later it became clear that he was just being a dick.

When I told the front desk about it, they asked if he was wearing a blue jumpsuit so they obviously knew who it was. When I said yes, they said “he’s not staying at the hotel but he is a regular.” No idea what that means but they did say they’d have a talk with him.

These pics were taken about 15 minutes after a confrontation with this gentleman. The angle of the pic is deceiving. He was fully blocking 6 of the 8 stalls with his truck and trailer and effectively blocking a 7th because if anyone squeezed in there they would have been trapping him in between their Tesla and his trailer.

So I parked in the last remaining (handicapped) stall. I approached the truck and politely said “Be sure not to leave your truck here, because if anyone else needs to charge, they might squeeze in and block you in.” Note that I never even told him to move even though that’s obviously what should have been done. He wasn’t at all polite but he did say he was going to hook up the trailer and leave in about 10 minutes, so I figured that was that. But then as I walked off he rolled down his window and shouted at me saying I should mind my own business. I’m not really one to shy away from confrontation so I engaged him and he just yelled at me for a while. Even had the gall to point to all the other parking spaces saying that I should park there. At first I thought he didn’t understand these were EV spots so I pointed that out to him explaining why I needed to park there and not just any old parking spot. But later it became clear that he was just being a dick.

When I told the front desk about it, they asked if he was wearing a blue jumpsuit so they obviously knew who it was. When I said yes, they said “he’s not staying at the hotel but he is a regular.” No idea what that means but they did say they’d have a talk with him.

Maybe Tesla should install fake pedestals with 'TESLA' spelled 'TALSE'... it won't fool Tesla drivers 'cause we can read and the morons can feel self-satisfied about blocking chargers...

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX and PLUS EV
Maybe Tesla should install fake pedestals with 'TESLA' spelled 'TALSE'... it won't fool Tesla drivers 'cause we can read and the morons can feel self-satisfied about blocking chargers...
Will it save me from this happening to my car, again?

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.32.51 PM.png

I believe it was at a Destination charger at a Microtel in Harrisonburg, VA. :/ I asked that they pull the video and tighten up their security, haven't heard back from them yet. I hadn't realized this was why my charging had been interrupted in the night a few times (I'm guessing the camera getting scratched wasn't the only thing they tried to do).

I am curious, do the people that do that expect it'll cause the AP to stop functioning? They assume everyone has it, or don't realize that for some cars it's not being used? Is it symbolic anger about upcoming driving automation (this is on a very high freight traffic route)? Has anyone ever caught one of these asshats and had them explain what their reasoning, such that it might be, is?

Will it save me from this happening to my car, again?

View attachment 366193

I believe it was at a Destination charger at a Microtel in Harrisonburg, VA. :/ I asked that they pull the video and tighten up their security, haven't heard back from them yet. I hadn't realized this was why my charging had been interrupted in the night a few times (I'm guessing the camera getting scratched wasn't the only thing they tried to do).

I am curious, do the people that do that expect it'll cause the AP to stop functioning? They assume everyone has it, or don't realize that for some cars it's not being used? Is it symbolic anger about upcoming driving automation (this is on a very high freight traffic route)? Has anyone ever caught one of these asshats and had them explain what their reasoning, such that it might be, is?
My honest guess is the guy who did that is a Alex Jones type.... the cameras are watching me .... arrrrrgh! Seriously, it’s too weird not to be a paranoid guy that heard about cameras and thinks he’s being watched... think of some dude yelling to some hallucination on the street corner at the damn traffic cams watching him.... he is a paranoid asshat

My honest guess is the guy who did that is a Alex Jones type.... the cameras are watching me .... arrrrrgh! Seriously, it’s too weird not to be a paranoid guy that heard about cameras and thinks he’s being watched... think of some dude yelling to some hallucination on the street corner at the damn traffic cams watching him.... he is a paranoid asshat
Ah, that possibility didn't occur to me. That would explain zeroing in on that camera.

Sometimes there's just no remotely rational explanation....

980x.jpg