Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacna, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a view from the freeway, taken in May 2019. The Pilot and Shell stations appear to be under construction in the photo, so it's a very recent facility.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 8.15.01 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and tmoz
I charged at the new Tacna, AZ Supercharger station on Wednesday 03/25/20. It’s immediately off I-8 at Exit 42 at a Shell/Petro station with a Subway and Minute Mart. There are 8 250 kW pedestals along the south (left) side of the parking lot. The pedestals are labeled 1A-1B-1C-1D-2A-2B-2C-2D. The spaces are alternately labeled “30 Minute General Parking” and “Tesla Vehicle Charging Only”.
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
IMG_1935.jpg

The equipment for this station is packaged very nicely: utility transformer, 1 switchgear cabinet and 2 supercharger cabinets for 8 pedestals.
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg

Something felt ergonomically wrong when I unplugged and hung up the cord. The pedestals appear to be installed backwards with the cord connected on the left side and the holster and plug on the right side as viewed from the parking space. It’s not a smooth motion to unplug and return the plug to the holster. I had to transfer the plug from my right hand to my left hand and then turn around to holster it. If I used my left hand to unplug, then the cable twisted wrong to holster it.
IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

I hope they can stay open, the shell/subway that is. If not, the SC will still work. That was a risky thing to do - open a sandwich shop in the middle of nowhere. We shall see - I wish them good luck.
What!? Aren’t SCs powered by a separate transformer? Tesla pays for the equipment, all the electricity. I don’t think that it would be possible for the Shell station to shut off everything for Tesla, because I’m pretty sure their transformer would be locked

I charged at the new Tacna, AZ Supercharger station on Wednesday 03/25/20. It’s immediately off I-8 at Exit 42 at a Shell/Petro station with a Subway and Minute Mart. There are 8 250 kW pedestals along the south (left) side of the parking lot. The pedestals are labeled 1A-1B-1C-1D-2A-2B-2C-2D. The spaces are alternately labeled “30 Minute General Parking” and “Tesla Vehicle Charging Only”.
View attachment 525886 View attachment 525889 View attachment 525890 View attachment 525891

The equipment for this station is packaged very nicely: utility transformer, 1 switchgear cabinet and 2 supercharger cabinets for 8 pedestals.
View attachment 525892 View attachment 525893 View attachment 525894 View attachment 525895

Something felt ergonomically wrong when I unplugged and hung up the cord. The pedestals appear to be installed backwards with the cord connected on the left side and the holster and plug on the right side as viewed from the parking space. It’s not a smooth motion to unplug and return the plug to the holster. I had to transfer the plug from my right hand to my left hand and then turn around to holster it. If I used my left hand to unplug, then the cable twisted wrong to holster it.
View attachment 525897
View attachment 525898
Was anyone else around when you visited, meaning other customers?

View attachment 525886 View attachment 525889 View attachment 525890 View attachment 525891

View attachment 525892 View attachment 525893 View attachment 525894 View attachment 525895

View attachment 525897
View attachment 525898

V2 labeling? 1A/1B etc.? That would normally indicate a V2 supercharger. But, I don’t see that labeling in the pictures, at least not on the white cabinets, so I would assume this is a V3 supercharger as supercharge.info indicates. Was it just the concrete pedestals labeled 1A/1B etc?

Was anyone else around when you visited, meaning other customers?

Yes, there was 1 or more vehicles at the gas pumps most of the time and someone would occasionally go into the store. I used the restroom and the cashier commented that she had just made a fresh batch of coffee in the self service area. A Silver Model 3 from California came in and charged while I was there too.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
V2 labeling? 1A/1B etc.? That would normally indicate a V2 supercharger. But, I don’t see that labeling in the pictures, at least not on the white cabinets, so I would assume this is a V3 supercharger as supercharge.info indicates. Was it just the concrete pedestals labeled 1A/1B etc?

The pedestal labels are in a different location, on the red section with the other data. You have to look closely for them. The supercharger cabinets were called 1 & 2. The pedestals were called A, B, C & D. Four pedestals per supercharger indicates a V3 installation. I used pedestal 1C as shown in the picture.

IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

No. Those are for entering California. I mean Border Patrol checkpoints. I'm surprised you haven't noticed them if you live in Arizona.

United States Border Patrol interior checkpoints - Wikipedia
I remember this one - I-8 West - located 3 miles east of Pine Valley on Interstate 8.
And I think I just mentally substituted the -8 (eastbound only) - located 15 miles east of Yuma on Interstate 8 check point for a produce check.

Then there are the unofficial ones between Road Forks, NM and Rodeo, NM on US 80. Go 5 mph over the 55 (in some places 60 mph) limits and they pull you over and give you a warning.

In these times, perhaps I'm preferring those to a wall. Lots of stuff is messed up today.

The pedestal labels are in a different location, on the red section with the other data. You have to look closely for them. The supercharger cabinets were called 1 & 2. The pedestals were called A, B, C & D. Four pedestals per supercharger indicates a V3 installation. I used pedestal 1C as shown in the picture.

View attachment 526148 View attachment 526155

View attachment 526156
Cool, thx. I guess still having number and letter markings allows us to report specific non-working chargers, either to Tesla or to each other on sites like this.

It's also very close to one of the unconstitutional interior checkpoints. Really hate those border patrol guys!
LMAO this might be the worst comment on TMC for the day. First off they can have a checkpoint within 100 miles of the border and second that’s like saying you hate police officers or military personnel or customs and border agents.

LMAO this might be the worst comment on TMC for the day. First off they can have a checkpoint within 100 miles of the border and second that’s like saying you hate police officers or military personnel or customs and border agents.
Not really. I’ve had my fair share, most of the border patrol agents I’ve encountered at airports were dicks

Reactions: tmoz and sdoorex