Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacoma, WA - S Steele St. (LIVE 11 Jan 2024, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first three posts in this thread were moved from the thread for the Tacoma, WA - S. 40th St. Supercharger.

I'll put this here for now instead of starting a new thread until we know for sure that this is a separate project: There is now a permit application for a 16 stall supercharger at the Tacoma Mall itself (4502 S. Steele St.). This is just a few blocks from the permit application at the strip mall. Here is a link the new application: City of Tacoma, Washington | Citizen Portal

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll put this here for now instead of starting a new thread until we know for sure that this is a separate project: There is now a permit application for a 16 stall supercharger at the Tacoma Mall itself (4502 S. Steele St.). This is just a few blocks from the permit application at the strip mall. Here is a link the new application: City of Tacoma, Washington | Citizen Portal
They are completely different addresses and shopping centers so it should be a different thread. Maybe they abandoned this site after the site development permit was issued but maybe they are going for multiple stations. This permit was applied for in March/April so by the time the new one is approved, this site could be completed. Look no further than Mojave, CA for an example of three sites next door to each other.

Reactions: Guy Maughan
They are completely different addresses and shopping centers so it should be a different thread. Maybe they abandoned this site after the site development permit was issued but maybe they are going for multiple stations. This permit was applied for in March/April so by the time the new one is approved, this site could be completed. Look no further than Mojave, CA for an example of three sites next door to each other.
This makes me very curious as to what their Tacoma Supercharger strategy is.

With the current Evergreen Plaza one, this prospective one by the Church, the permit application for one on Hosmer at Elmers restaurant and now the permit application for one at the Mall. That would be 4 supercharger sites all within a couple miles of each other. IMO that seems like A LOT of capacity in such a small area (LOVE IT) but I’m curious if some of these are back up plans? Maybe Hosmer isn’t moving forward but the mall one is? Or vice versa? I always thought it was a bit odd that the mall wasn’t the preferred location when the Evergreen Plaza site was announced. .

With the current Evergreen Plaza one, this prospective one by the Church, the permit application for one on Hosmer at Elmers restaurant and now the permit application for one at the Mall. That would be 4 supercharger sites all within a couple miles of each other. IMO that seems like A LOT of capacity in such a small area (LOVE IT) but I’m curious if some of these are back up plans? Maybe Hosmer isn’t moving forward but the mall one is? Or vice versa? I always thought it was a bit odd that the mall wasn’t the preferred location when the Evergreen Plaza site was announced. .
Hosmer is all approved except for a pre construction meeting. There is a new thread which will be updated as the ACA permit site is updated.

I'd guess they are planning for the future when all EVs will have SC access through adapters or NACS built in. Look at Mojave, CA. Tiny town with 4 sites, 3 essentially next door to each other.

Hosmer is all approved except for a pre construction meeting. There is a new thread which will be updated as the ACA permit site is updated.

I'd guess they are planning for the future when all EVs will have SC access through adapters or NACS built in. Look at Mojave, CA. Tiny town with 4 sites, 3 essentially next door to each other.
Very true, Tesla has definitely been adding a lot of “neighboring” capacity. Excited to have so much capacity here in Tacoma. Hoping East Pierce County gets some love soon.

@memarshall has found the permit for this location. It's a 16 stall located at the Mall.

@Big Earl

tesla tacoma mall.png

the current one often has a wait during peak times. not surprised they're making more

@memarshall has found the permit for this location. It's a 16 stall located at the Mall.

@Big Earl

View attachment 965929
The first thread in this post has a link to the permit. You have to login to view but the url @Tacoma Dave posted will get you there.

I added S. Steele Street and it ends up being right across from S. 40th Street. Is this correct?
Yes. The S 40th permit is near Rei north of the mall. This is appears to be in a parking lot south of the mall based on the address tag of the permit.

still hope us 12 in packwood or morton would get one. big gap until yakima down that area
Strongly agree with this! US 12 and Hwy 410 both need some sort of DCFC love whether it be Tesla or someone. They put in an EVgo station in Sumner at Winco and they have the EA station in Puyallup at the mall but would be nice to have some a little further out like Eatonville/Packwood and Buckley/Enumclaw

Strongly agree with this! US 12 and Hwy 410 both need some sort of DCFC love whether it be Tesla or someone. They put in an EVgo station in Sumner at Winco and they have the EA station in Puyallup at the mall but would be nice to have some a little further out like Eatonville/Packwood and Buckley/Enumclaw
You mean like all the sites Energy Northwest is installing on US12?
1692418768876.png

1692418809855.png

1692418864482.png

1692418896737.png

1692418950729.png

1692419017633.png

1692419166833.png

Walla walla one is a Flo unit. All of them have been finaled so shouldn’t be any reason for them to not be up and running.

View attachment 966418
View attachment 966419
View attachment 966420
View attachment 966421
View attachment 966422
View attachment 966423
View attachment 966424
Walla walla one is a Flo unit. All of them have been finaled so shouldn’t be any reason for them to not be up and running.
Well dang! I should’ve hopped on this thread Friday! I was just in Morton and Mossyrock for the weekend camping. I would’ve stopped to check these both out. I knew there was some announcement awhile back by the state about US 12 but they didn’t seem to waste any time putting those in the ground. 💯 Hwy 410 next please 🤪😂

Well dang! I should’ve hopped on this thread Friday! I was just in Morton and Mossyrock for the weekend camping. I would’ve stopped to check these both out. I knew there was some announcement awhile back by the state about US 12 but they didn’t seem to waste any time putting those in the ground. 💯 Hwy 410 next please 🤪😂
As long as you’ve got a ccs or chademo adapter you’re good to go on 12.

View attachment 966418
View attachment 966419
View attachment 966420
View attachment 966421
View attachment 966422
View attachment 966423
View attachment 966424
hopefully its not like the flo one in naches. it is heinously priced. it's 40 cents a min and limited to 50kw. ouchie

Last edited:
hopefully its not like the flo one in naches. it is heinously priced. it's 40 cents a min and limited to 50kw. ouchie
Walla walla is 100kw, $0.45/kWh. For an hour that’s 100kwh x $0.45 = $45/60min = $0.75/min. Roughly twice Naches. Other stations appear to be ChargePoint 50kw at $0.45/kWh. Where Naches will get you is if you don’t get full power. Because you pay $0.40/min whether it’s 1kw or 50kw.

Reactions: scurtis
Any chance you think this one charger will supersede the other 2 Precon Meeting required ones on Hosmer and Tacoma Mall blvd? (42nd/43rd or whatever they have listed as). It’s interesting to see the mall one leapfrog them move forward quickly.
I have no particular insight into this. The one thing I would say is that the one just to the North has been permitted for quite a while, listed a start date as 9/1/23, and still doesn't have a dig ticket. So, it is quite possible that they have abandoned that one. I guess we'll see in the next few months.
The Hosmer one still has the requirement of a preconstruction meeting which is scheduled for 10/16/23. Technically it doesn't look like a permit has been issued for that one yet. So, I don't think that we can tell much about its prospects.