Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just how quickly will the current SC network fall apart without investment/maintenance from Tesla? We all saw what happened to the Ecotricity network as soon as it was clear the boss prioritised spending elsewhere.

I wouldn't own an EV without home charging but I never thought we would see Tesla essentially give up on supporting SCs.

If people are worried about EV residuals now, we haven't seen nothing yet if the SC network starts falling apart. I suspect now is the time to get out of EVs whilst they still have some value, my hands are tied by restrained finances at present, but as soon as I can, I'll be moving back to ICE.
Well, in the case of Ecotricity's network, it was seemingly destroyed by the CCS chargers they bought. CCS drivers would complain about chargers not working, while Leaf owners continued to use the network with far fewer problems. Ecotricity just sat on its hands until Gridserve bought them out.

We don't actually know what's going to happen at Tesla yet, just that the existing team is dead.
If the Superchargers go, there will be a bunch of power-ready site for others to plonk chargers into.

Here in the USA, a big question is whether the NEVI money all gets spent or the program gets canceled if the Republicans take over. $5B of chargers would make a huge difference. Dieselgate money, including ElectrifyAmerica, was $2B and that made travel a _lot_ easier for CCS than it would otherwise have been.

They're putting more focus on 100% uptime, not sure how you read that as giving up on supporting SCs.
All organisations have a finite amount of resource, organisational leadership dictates where that resource goes. Maintaining and delivering a world class rapid charging experience via Super Chargers was one of Tesla’s key strategies to enable/push EV sales.

No one will know the truth behind headlines but I cannot see any new SCs being built now, and when leases come up for renewal for exiting SCs, why would Tesla renew them?

Musk has now essentially totally shifted focus and given up on public rapid charging. The SC network is now just dead man walking. Luckily its almost certain the combustion car ban in the UK will be rolled back again, and there is plenty of petrol left for everyone alive today.

EVs I suspect will go down in history much like the diesel blip.

And if it goes that way, EVs simply don’t make sense. Especially in the view of the random public. So tank the company one way or another. (Yes, extremely view and not total reality, but for effect…)
It’s a bad message isn’t it when the pioneers of the EV transition admit that their public charging isn’t a viable business model. Or not viable enough to be worth investing in much anymore. It isn’t giving the right message.

Reactions: brkaus and Zedbox
It’s a bad message isn’t it when the pioneers of the EV transition admit that their public charging isn’t a viable business model. Or not viable enough to be worth investing in much anymore. It isn’t giving the right message.
i dunno.. when you just had a slowdown in sales (and other EV manufacturers are slowing down even more) it would seem to make sense to slow down SC expansion as well

i dunno.. when you just had a slowdown in sales (and other EV manufacturers are slowing down even more) it would seem to make sense to slow down SC expansion as well
Slow down in sales doesn't mean you aren't adding more EV's to the fleet so you'll still need to grow the supercharger network if you don't want to overload it. If it gets to the point people rock up to a charger and have to queue more often than not, other than those that don't use the public networks mostly that'll really dampen new EV sales. No one wants that hassle in their lives.

Slow down in sales doesn't mean you aren't adding more EV's to the fleet so you'll still need to grow the supercharger network if you don't want to overload it. If it gets to the point people rock up to a charger and have to queue more often than not, other than those that don't use the public networks mostly that'll really dampen new EV sales. No one wants that hassle in their lives.
I know we shouldn't believe anything Elmo says but he didn't say they were stopping just slowing down

I know we shouldn't believe anything Elmo says but he didn't say they were stopping just slowing down
Well the leaked email clearly states that sites that have yet to start construction should not start. They’ve sold off some of the planned sites in NYC where they have a chronic lack of charging already. They’ve pulled out of expanding Australia completely, maybe other countries but we just don’t know that.

Now maybe if they put a team back in to handle this then they might start to get the ball rolling again on new sites but the current direction is to cancel everything that’s not yet broken ground fully goes against this view. It’s very much a stop everything where it’s financially viable to do so.

Might be worth looking what members reading the global topic had to say about that video to see if there is another take on what he said.

Post in global thread 'Entire Supercharging Team Fired?'
Entire Supercharging Team Fired?
Even on the /r/teslamotors subreddit they are calling Munro out for no longer being objective when it comes to critiquing Tesla. He made a bunch of money from Tesla shares and since then has given them far more latitude and benefit of the doubt in his analysis than he would and does for other companies.

Reactions: Zedbox and mspohr
Well the leaked email clearly states that sites that have yet to start construction should not start. They’ve sold off some of the planned sites in NYC where they have a chronic lack of charging already. They’ve pulled out of expanding Australia completely, maybe other countries but we just don’t know that.

Now maybe if they put a team back in to handle this then they might start to get the ball rolling again on new sites but the current direction is to cancel everything that’s not yet broken ground fully goes against this view. It’s very much a stop everything where it’s financially viable to do so.
They must be absolutely mad to adopt this strategy. The major impediment to increased EV market size is the paucity of chargers. This will only lead to more negativity in the wider EV culture wars and depress market growth.

Reactions: FastLaneJB and MD70

So yeah.. clearly he's lying and there will never be another supercharger built anywhere in the world