Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to know where all these chargers are that have supposedly been installed in the North East. I live in North Yorkshire and there is little evidence of charging facilities throughout North Yorkshire.
Here you go: https://maps.dft.gov.uk/ev-charging-map/index.html
North Yorkshire is in the top 20% of the UK.
Also, apparently Yorkshire is not the North-East. A bloke from Gateshead told me once, so must be true.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Where are you getting that figure from? It's between 33p and 38p in the ones I use. Are they really still that expensive 'down South'?
Just was first number I found when I searched. I think at peak times they cam be around that but frankly the business case won't stack up at all I suspect when providing them at those kind of prices.

I guess point is that the business case probably doesn't stack up without government incentives and even then I believe most if not all EV charging companies don't make a profit yet.

that the business case probably doesn't stack up without government incentives and even then I believe most if not all EV charging companies don't make a profit yet.
Of course there is no case at all in the last year when all of the car manufacturers left it to Tesla to build the infrastructure and pushed them hard to open up to their vehicles. It is a 10 billion business if you take or leave few billions. But imagine a software centric company running petrol stations all over the world as it also has some hardware that needs petrol and that will help to shift their hardware. As a business makes sense when you are a start up but makes more sense for the industry to either share or the governments to facilitate more incentives for those with the infrastructure. Both governments and industries do not want to pick up the tab as tesla was /is doing it.

It is an unusual move for Tesla to give up on SCs but the only equivalent thing I can think of is Google and search engines controversy resulting in monopoly debates. Google was forced to move towards other areas for revenue streams but keeping search as a ubiquitous feature embedded within their android phones and essentially forcing other manufacturers to have it with theirs too.

That situation may arise where Tesla SCs technology will be embedded with other manufacturers or governments and the SC technology will be ubiquitous but not running the next generation. Or may be some variation of this but I don’t have the crystal ball 🔮.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
Yes so you need government funding to get the chargers in the first place otherwise it doesn't make commercial sense. Not sure that covers everything but lets say it does.

Average Supercharger cost per kWh in the UK is say 67p/kWh
Cost per kWh to supply the site is maybe around 26p/kWh x 20% VAT so let's say 31p/kWh
Ignoring any other costs of running the network (Obviously there is) then they make 36p/kWh
Average speed of charging is maybe 100KW so in an hour it can make £36
Let's say it's in use for 8 hours a day, other hours it's empty so that's £288 a day from a single Supercharger or £105,120 a year
Say we have an 8 stall site then £840,960 a year

Average speed of 50KW and that halves that number, in use for 4 hours a day on all tombstones over 8, halved again. Maybe doesn't start to stack up by that point. The costs to run the network are unknown but you imagine the bigger the scale, the cheaper that'll become.
I can see you're trying to be constructive here, but the figures are way out.. Commercial costs for electricity are significantly higher than the domestic energy price. So your 26p/kWh is not accurate. I don't have business rates, but the reason most other suppliers are charging 70-80p/kWh is that their costs are high. I still wonder if Tesla is on some long-haul loss-making drive with the SuC network to gain market share over time. They might be making money where they have battery storage and can sell back to the grid at peak times and obviously get extra revenue from PAYG non-Tesla users of the network with the increased fees. The costs of high power grid connects are tens of thousands, so the capital investment is huge - I don't think the profit margins are that high unless there is significant usage.

I can see you're trying to be constructive here, but the figures are way out.. Commercial costs for electricity are significantly higher than the domestic energy price. So your 26p/kWh is not accurate. I don't have business rates, but the reason most other suppliers are charging 70-80p/kWh is that their costs are high. I still wonder if Tesla is on some long-haul loss-making drive with the SuC network to gain market share over time. They might be making money where they have battery storage and can sell back to the grid at peak times and obviously get extra revenue from PAYG non-Tesla users of the network with the increased fees. The costs of high power grid connects are tens of thousands, so the capital investment is huge - I don't think the profit margins are that high unless there is significant usage.
Yeah I just googled business energy rates and it’s what it came up with but I must admit it felt off to me.

A petrol station is a viable business at least in busy locations but even then we all know of locations that have turned into car washes because they didn’t make enough money to stay open. If EV charging is loss making even with government subsidies to help put the chargers in, other than car makers that are subsidising this because they need to sell EV’s. Why would a commercial business get into the EV charging game?

Reactions: Burley
Well, the insider story I’ve now heard is that indeed the charging business margins were not satisfactory leading the decision to open EV charging to backfire. The additional margin from other marques at SuC’s is not compensating for the internal view of lost sales due to availability of Tesla SuC’s for others. And Musk believes the robotaxi business to have a better business case for the Capex.

Well, the insider story I’ve now heard is that indeed the charging business margins were not satisfactory leading the decision to open EV charging to backfire. The additional margin from other marques at SuC’s is not compensating for the internal view of lost sales due to availability of Tesla SuC’s for others. And Musk believes the robotaxi business to have a better business case for the Capex.
I think they only opened it up because they had to for various government grants that potentially reduced that Capex cost. Of course they didn't have to do that or take the grants but suspect as you say it's not viable without and probably not viable with them. Even when you've got more cars using them from other brands to increase the usage rate.

From a purely business point of view and stock price value, I agree with Musk actually. I don't expect it to arrive in the timeframe he mentions but I suspect solving FSD, robotaxi's and so on will be far more lucrative for their stock price than just being a regular car company. Just doesn't help people that buy EV's.

Look at Pod Point as an example. Started in 2009 and still to make a profit. Giving up on public charging and moving to home and workplace charging to try to turn the business around. Feels like we'll need road taxing for EV's that some of that money will have to go into propping up charging companies otherwise we might not have any means to charge in the long run. Kind of like most of the trains in this country, we want them but they don't make commercial sense.

Reactions: mspohr
But still
Jeez-o, you stick a button on your charger and suddenly you're an expert in all things EV

:)

Here are the non-CPS charger sites:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 16.30.58.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 16.30.58.png
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 5
Just how quickly will the current SC network fall apart without investment/maintenance from Tesla? We all saw what happened to the Ecotricity network as soon as it was clear the boss prioritised spending elsewhere.

I wouldn't own an EV without home charging but I never thought we would see Tesla essentially give up on supporting SCs.

If people are worried about EV residuals now, we haven't seen nothing yet if the SC network starts falling apart. I suspect now is the time to get out of EVs whilst they still have some value, my hands are tied by restrained finances at present, but as soon as I can, I'll be moving back to ICE.