Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Google Maps didn't pick up was the 2 hours spent on McCarthy Dr just to get back onto 5 going south after charging at Tejon. By the time she got to LA traffic was flowing just fine!

We really don’t know the full cause of the delay on McCarthy Dr. At one point she heard and saw emergency vehicles, but never figured out what had happened.

Wow, 2 hours for maybe 2/5 of a mile?!

Moderator note: the discussion about using the Mojave SC to avoid the Grapevine section of I5 has been split from the Tejon Supercharger thread because it is not specific to Tejon. A very reasonable discussion and I thank @miimura for suggesting the route. You are welcome to continue that discussion in the new thread at Going via Mojave SC to avoid Grapevine section of I5

Last edited:
Arrived here at 4:40, one car waiting ahead of me. About 10 min to get plugged in. Unfortunately, the stall i pulled in was paired to car ahead of me in line. Got 25 kw starting at 29%. After about 5 min, 2 cars in a pair both left, so i switched. 3b booted me, so i switched to 3a. Started at 90 kw. About 25 min in, am at 75% and 54 kw. One car in line.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and Tam
Arrived here at 4:40, one car waiting ahead of me. About 10 min to get plugged in. Unfortunately, the stall i pulled in was paired to car ahead of me in line. Got 25 kw starting at 29%. After about 5 min, 2 cars in a pair both left, so i switched. 3b booted me, so i switched to 3a. Started at 90 kw. About 25 min in, am at 75% and 54 kw. One car in line.
That's a pretty good charge rate.

Those are good for I-5 but not for those who uses CA-99 freeway.

It's a good idea to have another station at CA-99, north of Tejon.

I agree, but I do not see a pin on the 2017 map for the greater Bakersfield area or further north. Bakersfield proper would be ideal as it would let you and me charge there before driving over the Grapevine or heading east on SR58. A Model X towing a trailer could reach Bakersfield from Fresno without having to zig-zag to Buttonwillow or Bakersfield West before continuing on its journey. Let's hope there is a stealth Supercharger planned for Bakersfield that surprises us later this year!

Reactions: Tam and bmah
Tejon has two temporary charger pallets south of the permanent chargers. (So, 10 pedestals total, for the liberal arts students out there) They're plumbed with an above ground conduit...not sure what that means relative to future permanent expansion. Otherwise, same stuff they had at Harris way back when and Hawthorn wayer back when.

Also, bxr FTW. :cool:

Last edited:
I never understood when the re did the chargers at Tejon why they didn't plumb for additional stalls. They demo'd all the hedges against the fence and re ran the conduit. that would have been the time to add additional capacity.

Like I know so much! :eek: The answer to that question could very well be found in the lease Tesla signed with the property owner. According to the first post in this topic, four charge ports opened up in late December 2012. It is quite possible that the original lease called for "up to six" charging pedestals over the term of the lease.

The landlord may not have wanted an option for Tesla to expand. Tesla may not have wanted to commit to more back in 2012, as the future of the company was still very much in doubt.

So, we are four years-plus into this lease. Perhaps the initial lease term was for four or five years. The remake was in the summer of '15, right? That may have been too early to renegotiate. Perhaps Tesla decided to lobby for expansion, and it is being considered. Or perhaps everything I wrote is spurious.

Like I know so much :eek:

IMG_0027.JPG

Looks like there's an error here. Tejon Ranch only has 6 stalls total, but 10 stalls listed

• Informative
Reactions: Tam