Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I speculate that the expansion of this location will depend on a threshold amount of Model 3 vehicles registered in California.

With the expansion at Harris Ranch and the opening of Kettleman City, I do not believe that there were any major bottlenecks this past holiday season. There may have been a short wait at selected times at Tejon Ranch, but not rising to the point of public frustration like last year.

If enough Model 3s are on the road by summer, we might see the expansion then. Otherwise, it will be delayed until the fall in anticipation of the 2018 holiday travel season.

Just my two cents. . . .

Attempted to charge at Tejon Ranch on Thursday 15 February 2018 at around 2:30 p.m. Only two spots available. Very slow charge rate. My vehicle's battery only had 15 percent left, but the fill rate was less than 35 kW. I moved to the other available stall again it was very slow, less than 35 kW.. I left without charging and drove to the Bakersfield I-5 Supercharger. Fill rate at Bakersfield I-5 was very fast more than 100 kW. There was only one other vehicle at Bakersfield I-5 charging. Took me east of my destination but not that inconvenient because Stockdale Highway west to my destination in Bakersfield city proper was a fast roadway.

Last edited:
Attempted to charge at Tejon Ranch on Thursday 15 February 2018 at around 2:30 p.m. Only two spots available. Very slow charge rate. My vehicle's battery only had 15 percent left, but the fill rate was less than 35 kW. I moved to the other available stall again it was very slow, less than 35 kW.. I left without charging and drove to the Bakersfield I-5 Supercharger. Fill rate at Bakersfield I-5 was very fast more than 100 kW. There was only one other vehicle at Bakersfield I-5 charging. Took me east of my destination but not that inconvenient because Stockdale Highway west to my destination in Bakersfield city proper was a fast roadway.

I'm guessing the other car your charger is paired with plugged in not too long before you, and they're getting a majority of the juice.

DBA66519-9AE4-48A9-AFCF-0F392D3FA327.jpeg

Ha. I was there around that time of day as well. Was lucky to score a charger without anyone else in B. Got a healthy 90-95kw charge. Happened to snap a pic too. One of these you?

We charged at Tejon Ranch yesterday, Sunday, Feb 18 at about 2PM. We moved from one charger that was only providing about 106 mi/hour to another one that was pumping about 230 mi/hour. The site filled while we were charging with up to three cars waiting (one, a blue Model 3). One charger (the last in the row) was out of commission. Someone had written in chalk on the pavement warning that it wasn't working. There was a lady with a Tesla hat sitting in a chair near her van who was telling folks, as they drove in, about the unusable charger...and moving them to a waiting line. Very helpful. I asked her if she was a Tesla Ranger; she laughed, said no, she was a Tesla "parking attendant." Thanks for the needed assistance Tesla, until the charger could be repaired! Obviously, more charger are needed at this site.

Attempted to charge at Tejon Ranch on Thursday 15 February 2018 at around 2:30 p.m. Only two spots available. Very slow charge rate. My vehicle's battery only had 15 percent left, but the fill rate was less than 35 kW. I moved to the other available stall again it was very slow, less than 35 kW..
The stalls paired to the stalls you plugged into were in use. Since those cars were there first they were getting as much power as they could handle, and you were getting whatever was left. That is the way Superchargers work (except for the new “Urban” style Supercharger stalls which are unpaired but provide a lower maximum power).

I was there on Saturday twice on a day trip to Fresno. I could have skipped it in the morning, but we had to take a washroom break. In the afternoon, I dropped off my wife at the outlet across the street and went over to charge and eat dinner. I just missed needing to wait in line and completed my charge about 30 mins after I arrived. Several thoughts come to mind:
1. Adding a SC on the 99 between Fresno and Tejon Ranch could relieve some congestion here
2. Adding a SC at the outlet across the street would be very convenient. There's plenty of space for it
3. My Model 3 charge's faster (mph) than my S - sweet!
4. Nobody should whine about needing to pay for a SC. It's dirt cheap and did discourage me from overuse

I was there on Saturday twice on a day trip to Fresno. I could have skipped it in the morning, but we had to take a washroom break. In the afternoon, I dropped off my wife at the outlet across the street and went over to charge and eat dinner. I just missed needing to wait in line and completed my charge about 30 mins after I arrived. Several thoughts come to mind:
1. Adding a SC on the 99 between Fresno and Tejon Ranch could relieve some congestion here
2. Adding a SC at the outlet across the street would be very convenient. There's plenty of space for it
3. My Model 3 charge's faster (mph) than my S - sweet!
4. Nobody should whine about needing to pay for a SC. It's dirt cheap and did discourage me from overuse

There are plans on the "Coming Attractions" teaser that Tesla has on its website that there are Superchargers planned for Bakersfield proper and Visalia/Tulare. We are also slated for an additional Supercharger here in Fresno. It is unknown whether this will be at a different location or merely an expansion (plenty of room) at the current location.

You are correct that we need more SC's along 99. They not only would relieve congestion at Tejon Ranch, but they would also stagger the charging stops for people heading to eastern California from the Valley and from the bay area. For example, now I need to charge in Mojave (a 10-minute detour off SR58). With Bakersfield, I could charge there, skip Mojave, and charge in Barstow.

We were driving our 3 from San Diego to Mariposa via Fresno last night and ideally would have charged at Tejon and gone up 99, but the nav system always had it full or almost full and we had already eaten while charging in San Clemente. Bakersfield and Buttonwillow were better, but I pushed it and went on up 5 to Kettleman City where the system typically listed 3 of 40 stalls in use. Amazing place, great lounge with a barista, food and the trip up 41 seemed much better than I remember.

If Bakersfield, Buttonwillow and Kettleman City were supposed to relieve Tejon, it is not working. I think this shows how important the 99 corridor is. Bakersfield proper and Visalia will help, but Tejon is nicely placed. My wife drove the 3 from our home in Mariposa to San Diego and only needed to charge once in Tejon while eating dinner. Too bad Marisco's is gone. (I flew down and we drove back.) More chargers in Tejon would be great.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Saw this on a Facebook page today
Thanks for posting that. I’ve changed the thread title. With Buttonwillow, Bakersfield, and the new Santa Clarita Supercharger now operational, hopefully this temporary closure at Tejon won’t inconvenience to many people.

By the way, the sign shown in this photo is at the Harris Ranch Supercharger (this photo was not taken at the Tejon Supercharger, in case anyone is confused).

6bb3475a-9edf-43b6-901f-86a6be9f04f3-jpeg.295898

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and McManX
Wow wonder how long it will be closed. “Starting” seems to suggest it will be extended. Maybe a more significant overhaul than just added more stalls?
I'd imagine a transformer upgrade is needed to add more chargers. And if they put pedestals in the stalls across from the existing ones (i.e. the spots closest to the street), then they'll have to dig up some part of that lot, probably across the entrance.

Fortunately Santa Clarita is now open, so it should be able to take up the slack.

Reactions: McManX