Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha I can't stand toll roads and the awful service plazas, but to each his own! Anyways, we are getting off topic. It should be noted that Buttonwillow has both a Subway and a Starbucks. It's also a much easier on/off for northbound travelers. The amenities at the "Bakersfield" location are pretty meh. I'll grant you that. I just stopped at Santa Clarita afterhours so everything was closed, but it looks promising although it is a significant diversion.

Much needed upgrade. Here's a throw-back picture of me being one of the first "official" Supercharger users on October 20, 2012 when there were only 2 stalls.
2012-10-20 19.03.06.jpg

Thanks for reminding us of the beginning of the Supercharger network in the US, which was only 5 1/2 years ago. That prompted me to go back to page 1 of this thread, when there were 4 stalls at Gilroy, 1 stall at Harris Ranch, and the 2 Tejon stalls (as well as two Supercharger locations on the East Coast). And now...

B109B692-A33E-4235-B619-85A2396ABBAE.jpeg

Totally agree. From my understanding, the space is there.
Question: the thread title says expanding to 16 stalls, but I cannot find where that information was obtained. Can this be confirmed?
There was a sign in place with this info.

Attachments

• 2018-03-12 15.13.58.jpg
    2018-03-12 15.13.58.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 2018-03-16 07.41.40.jpg
    2018-03-16 07.41.40.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the clarification. It seems wasteful to not take the opportunity to expand this further. I can't imagine the cost differential is that much different between 16 and 24. Well, I am sure it is not trivial, but certainly less than expanding it again in 2 years.
I think 16 will be plenty with Santa Clarita opening recently

Enough for now? Sure, especially with Buttonwillow and Bakersfield opening last year. Still, what about 2 years from now?
Regardless, the expansion is welcome.

There are plans for a Supercharger in Bakersfield proper along SR99, just a stone's throw north of Tejon Ranch, as it were. I do not know how many people who use Tejon Ranch take 99 (like me) as opposed to 5, but certainly when Bakersfield opens that will further reduce the stress on Tejon Ranch. Right now it is imperative for me to stop at Tejon Ranch heading home from the Los Angeles area unless I wish to detour onto Interstate 5. Heading south, it appears to be dicey to try to reach Sta. Clarita (although I will try to next fall when I head south.)

In addition, Santa Barbara and Ventura owners who desire to go avoid the LA metropolitan area can reach the Grapevine at Castaic Jct. (SR126) on Interstate 5 then head north to their destinations. They too must stop at Tejon Ranch now.

Then there is the minority of owners from the Central Coast area who take SR166 east from Sta. Maria to reach Barstow for trips to Vegas or northern Arizona. Today they must detour south to Tejon Ranch before continuing through the bustling metropolis of Arvin and climb on SR229 to SR58 to continue their eastward journey. The putative Bakersfield Supercharger will avoid this detour as well.

While a Supercharger on the east side of Interstate 5 would be a welcome addition, I do not foresee a major issue at the extant location within 2-4 years once Bakersfield proper is open.(*) But then, too, my crystal ball has been known to become hazy and fall off the table.

(*) Much will depend upon the ultimate location of this Supercharger. If it is north of the junction with SR58 along SR99, Tejon Ranch might be more convenient and have more options available. We shall see!

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and GSP
Unless they’re planning on adding chargers at the outlets across the freeway

That piece I don't understand about. If they have the plan to add chargers at the outlets across the freeway, then why bother closing this one now? I would think these chargers be kept open while they build out the new location and then transfer this over afterward or disconnect them.

However, if they do plan to do it across the freeway, something similar to Kettleman would be a great addition. It is a perfect spot as for those going southbound it is a good stop prior to hitting that mountain and those going northbound, it is a good filler up so they can skip all the way to kettleman.

Reactions: Chuq
There are plans for a Supercharger in Bakersfield proper along SR99, just a stone's throw north of Tejon Ranch, as it were. I do not know how many people who use Tejon Ranch take 99 (like me) as opposed to 5, but certainly when Bakersfield opens that will further reduce the stress on Tejon Ranch. Right now it is imperative for me to stop at Tejon Ranch heading home from the Los Angeles area unless I wish to detour onto Interstate 5. Heading south, it appears to be dicey to try to reach Sta. Clarita (although I will try to next fall when I head south.)

If you get a max charge at Fishcamp, the Model 60s (and future Model 3s) can barely make it to Tejon, if the wind isn't blowing in your face and you keep you speed down. If headed back from Yosemite, you could take other routes or catch the inconvenient Fresno charger. Or, you could charge up on the 99 before Tejon and have a good day instead of a bad day. A SC on the 99 is well past due and it would also reduce congestion at Tejon.

Reactions: McManX