Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turlock, CA - 3000 Countryside Dr. (probably cancelled)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed at the beginning of 2020 this popped up as coming soon. There are two electric utilities serving Modesto and I know the person at one of the two utilities who receives these requests. In early 2019 this person told me that Tesla had approached his utility requesting service for a supercharger location at the Target location in Turlock, CA. This in the vicinity of Modesto. The utility informed Tesla that an easement was needed to start utility construction (transformers, lines, etc.) since Tesla does not own the property. They balked at having to do that and pretty much left the request pending and according to my contact, they haven’t been contacted since. Presumably they may be negotiating an easement with Target or the property owner or attempting to obtain city permits. Or they could just have moved on and started to look at other locations in this area.

Looking forward to this along with a couple of other proposed locations since the Hwy 99 corridor is severely underserved with Tesla Superchargers at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
Ok. Upon further research, the City of Turlock permit system shows:...

Thanks for the research!

The search engine is at:

https://www.cityofturlock.org/buildinginturlock/buildingsafety/buildingpermits/researchpermits.asp

Then you need to enter the address number: 3000
Then the street name: Countryside DR

Then you would see:

upload_2020-1-16_16-20-59.png

@BlueShift for sc.info:

Supercharger--Turlock, CA

3000 Countryside Dr, Turlock, CA 95380

Stalls: unknown
Power: unknown (with $150,000 price tag, it could be 72 kW Urban Supercharger)

Thanks for the research!

The search engine is at:

https://www.cityofturlock.org/buildinginturlock/buildingsafety/buildingpermits/researchpermits.asp

Then you need to enter the address number: 3000
Then the street name: Countryside DR

Then you would see:

View attachment 501021

@BlueShift for sc.info:

Supercharger--Turlock, CA

3000 Countryside Dr, Turlock, CA 95380

Stalls: unknown
Power: unknown (with $150,000 price tag, it could be 72 kW Urban Supercharger)

I would hope that these would be regular V2 or V3 Superchargers. I don't think that there are that many residents of Turlock who own Teslas and would need to charge locally. Highway 99 is sorely lacking in charging options for long distance travel. Turlock north has ample coverage, but south only has Fresno until the Visalia and the other planned sites are operational.

If Tesla were smart, Turlock would have at least 14 stalls, if not more. The ten currently in Fresno are nearly full seven days a week from late morning until mid-afternoon (albeit locals are part of the problem.)

If the latest status update was that the permit was created all the way back in 2018, then it's probably no longer valid... Usually these expire after a year. Still a nice find and I would keep an eye/ear out for other permits in Turlock!

If the latest status update was that the permit was created all the way back in 2018, then it's probably no longer valid... Usually these expire after a year. Still a nice find and I would keep an eye/ear out for other permits in Turlock!
It’s possible they do expire after a period of time although the city’s system seems to distinguish between different permit status: i.e. issued, created, canceled, completed, etc.

Also it looks like they have another permit set up which shows 18-25 charging stations installations (destination chargers too?). Wondering if that’s just a duplicate..
01F28376-E3D5-43A4-936C-AAFCEBF1EB53.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
The "18-25" is almost certainly a file number being referenced, not the number of charging stalls/stations. It's probably related to the planning/zoning process (maybe a planning application number?). I would interpret it as file/application #25 from 2018.

Reactions: KathyApplebaum
The target parking lot is not a good place for a traveling charger. It takes a solid 5 minutes to get there from the freeway and that parking lot fills up often. 72kw Chargers would be good there though.

This shopping center would be towards the top of my list on places for an extended stop if I was traveling through. Lots of walk-able food options and easy to get to. I mapped the travel from the furthest ramp (southbound) to the area I think they'd stick the chargers, and it's 3 min from the freeway. The lot only becomes an issue around the holidays, but even then, the edges of the lot (where the chargers would likely go) don't get used.

At any rate, I'm betting the newer pin in Modesto means they're moving forward there. Turlock has cheaper power though....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 81
My contact at the local utility serving this location (TID) says this is still happening. Tesla is going full speed ahead with the build here and there has been plenty of back and forth communications between TID and Tesla within the last couple of weeks to prepare to break ground. He says they will have both superchargers and level 2s here.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
My contact at the local utility serving this location (TID) says this is still happening. Tesla is going full speed ahead with the build here and there has been plenty of back and forth communications between TID and Tesla within the last couple of weeks to prepare to break ground. He says they will have both superchargers and level 2s here.

Awesome! Is it still at the same address?