Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Victor, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked and it is there now. Harrisburg to Rochester is 420 km of one of the prettiest drives in the USA through the lowest light pollution levels, with nothing but a HPWC at Bucknell U. Tesla has been slow to fill in I76 at Harrisburg, but has a plan for that. It is also mysteriously avoiding I80 and I86, which if connected would likely put a couple of SCs along the NS route 15 and 99, as well.

I need to get from the DC area to Rochester so am hopeful this oversight will get noticed soon.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Syracuse today is packed. The conference center is hosting a very large event and most of the charging spots are ICEd. They have a huge parking lot but it's totally packed. the lot is unmarked (probably a mistake, as line would help define the parking area and optimize use of the surface).
I was there charging around 7.30am and I have been there a good 30-40 minutes (range charge to get to Watertown and back). It was interesting to see how people approached parking in a obviously not allowed area.

First a few guys drove in, looked at the sign and went back looking for parking further away. Then as the lot was getting busier and busier (I will admit I've never seen it this busy, and I'm here twice a week) the guilt of parking in a charging stall faded.
The first "abuser" tried to park close but not in the parking stall, actually having an even worst effect (blocking 2 charging stalls instead of 1). [Parallel park in front of 2 charging spot without leaving enough space for anybody to back up in the charging station].
But the "BEST" was a lady (ndr, very good looking) wearing a long leather trench coat that pulled in the charging stall and getting out of the car looked towards me, but not straight in the eye. She slightly open the coat showing me the gun and a law enforcement badge (it was a star shaped one, probably a marshal?).

I felt like people was looking at my as if I was the TESLA police... to either let them know it was ok/ or not ok to park.

Syracuse today is packed. The conference center is hosting a very large event and most of the charging spots are ICEd. They have a huge parking lot but it's totally packed. the lot is unmarked (probably a mistake, as line would help define the parking area and optimize use of the surface).
I was there charging around 7.30am and I have been there a good 30-40 minutes (range charge to get to Watertown and back). It was interesting to see how people approached parking in a obviously not allowed area.

First a few guys drove in, looked at the sign and went back looking for parking further away. Then as the lot was getting busier and busier (I will admit I've never seen it this busy, and I'm here twice a week) the guilt of parking in a charging stall faded.
The first "abuser" tried to park close but not in the parking stall, actually having an even worst effect (blocking 2 charging stalls instead of 1). [Parallel park in front of 2 charging spot without leaving enough space for anybody to back up in the charging station].
But the "BEST" was a lady (ndr, very good looking) wearing a long leather trench coat that pulled in the charging stall and getting out of the car looked towards me, but not straight in the eye. She slightly open the coat showing me the gun and a law enforcement badge (it was a star shaped one, probably a marshal?).

I felt like people was looking at my as if I was the TESLA police... to either let them know it was ok/ or not ok to park.

I was there last year when they had some sort of vintage car event. Was very crowded, so much so that a cop directed me away from the lot to park elsewhere. I shook my head no and pointed at the SC and explained that I had to charge there. He let me in I carefully threaded my way to the SC where I found that they had all been traffic coned. Charged easily with quite a few looks and questions. Too bad they didn't do that for you.

Sorry off topic, anybody from Roch area going to Toronto nx Thursday?
I'm going to try to get to there - my car can't make it that far... :( I can borrow a car, but rather not drive up alone.

RESERVING: The most recent version I was given is reservations will be traunched by day. This will determine configurator invite priority. Configurator completion, plus delivery region, options, employee/owner/newbie, will all factor into final delivery order.

So being first in line doesn't matter, getting your order in on the first day might.

Having a quick look at the map.. Rochester now appears to take the prize as largest metropolitan area without a Supercharger in the USA.

Very proud... Of our regressive government here which makes things as difficult as possible for business. Especially Tesla but in general any new fangled business like Uber or Draftkings or similar.

I don't blame tesla for not building here.

With Buffalo and Syracuse, personally I don't feel like Rochester is a priority. But I would love a service center. Even if the guys from Cleveland have been bending over backward to try to accommodate me, a gallery/service center would be great.

I totally agree. Having a retail presence in WNY would elevate Tesla's visibility tremendously. A Service Center in Rochester could improve service accessibility in all of WNY.

Henrietta is probably better due to proximity to 390 south, colleges, the city, etc...
Much better than Syracuse. Western NY is a pretty large place and Syracuse is rather too far from the Buffalo area. A Store and Service Center in the Rochester area could provide coverage for Buffalo and Syracuse as well as the Rochester area until each metro area gets their own facility.

Much better than Syracuse. Western NY is a pretty large place and Syracuse is rather too far from the Buffalo area. A Store and Service Center in the Rochester area could provide coverage for Buffalo and Syracuse as well as the Rochester area until each metro area gets their own facility.
Honestly, both Rochester and Syracuse service centers are needed.

Syracuse is needed for central NY: everything from Binghamton to Watertown to Utica, for which Rochester is way too far west. Therefore Syracuse should come *first*. Rochester is not OK for Utica or Watertown or Ithaca or Binghamton, but Syracuse is tolerable.

But Syracuse is a long way from Buffalo. Rocheter or Buffalo (or, heck, Batavia) should come after Syracuse.

Honestly, both Rochester and Syracuse service centers are needed.
Agree. All mid sized cities need service centers.

Rocheter or Buffalo (or, heck, Batavia) should come after Syracuse.

Sure, says the guy from Ithaca. :)

But if you look at where the center of the big hole is, Rochester serves all upstate best first. I suspect if you did a study of population by income and factored distance from a SC, the dot might be Batavia.

Originally posted 2/12/2016:

Several months after I asked, my son seems ready to move ahead on having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in his garage at his place in Fairport so I can conveniently juice up when we visit. I'll reimburse him for his costs. Bet I see the outlet before we see a blue dot for the Rochester Supercharger.

As per my previous prediction, my son had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in his garage for my use. I paid for the installation ($385) and actually used it yesterday. I see that Tesla is still showing a SC in the Rochester area for, "2016". I would be surprised (but pleased) if one were up by the time of my second grandson's Bar Mitzvah in June of 2017. I would much rather see a Rochester area Service Center.

• Love
Reactions: jrreno
I just checked and it is there now. Harrisburg to Rochester is 420 km of one of the prettiest drives in the USA through the lowest light pollution levels, with nothing but a HPWC at Bucknell U. Tesla has been slow to fill in I76 at Harrisburg, but has a plan for that. It is also mysteriously avoiding I80 and I86, which if connected would likely put a couple of SCs along the NS route 15 and 99, as well.

I need to get from the DC area to Rochester so am hopeful this oversight will get noticed soon.

Amen to the Rochester to DC trip! I am taking delivery of my 90D on Monday and this is a big anxiety issue for me. Supercharger through Syracuse and Bing would add 2.5 hours to the trip! I am going to take my chances through Bucknell but curious if I can make it to the Harrisbug SC. Has anyone done this route yet?? I'm in Victor

Paul - welcome! Congrats on your soon to be delivery!

Check out EV Trip Planner. Use it religiously! It is dead on accurate and was built by a high school kid (Who I've been told is now doing an internship with Tesla - hey, it was on the Internet, it must be true!)

Anyway, a 90D (With 19" wheels) from Victor NY, driven at a NORMAL rate of speed without heat or heavy AC should do Harrisburg. PROJECTED rated mile usage is 245 miles. Play around with some of the variables on the site. . . If you've got a heavy foot, might want to bump up the speed multiplier to 1.05 or 1.1. Usually for a long highway trip though, 1x is fine (I just did Philly to Binghamton and was between 70 and 80 most of the way and 1x was dead on.) We were heading to Rochester to see family and had to charge on 110v for DAYS at 2-3mph. Nothing like home! :)

Amen to the Rochester to DC trip! I am taking delivery of my 90D on Monday and this is a big anxiety issue for me. Supercharger through Syracuse and Bing would add 2.5 hours to the trip! I am going to take my chances through Bucknell but curious if I can make it to the Harrisbug SC. Has anyone done this route yet?? I'm in Victor

You should be able to make it with a 90D in the summer. in the winter I don't think so...
I could not make it with my 70D, I had to go to Binghamton

Paul - welcome! Congrats on your soon to be delivery!

Check out EV Trip Planner. Use it religiously! It is dead on accurate and was built by a high school kid (Who I've been told is now doing an internship with Tesla - hey, it was on the Internet, it must be true!)

Anyway, a 90D (With 19" wheels) from Victor NY, driven at a NORMAL rate of speed without heat or heavy AC should do Harrisburg. PROJECTED rated mile usage is 245 miles. Play around with some of the variables on the site. . . If you've got a heavy foot, might want to bump up the speed multiplier to 1.05 or 1.1. Usually for a long highway trip though, 1x is fine (I just did Philly to Binghamton and was between 70 and 80 most of the way and 1x was dead on.) We were heading to Rochester to see family and had to charge on 110v for DAYS at 2-3mph. Nothing like home! :)
Awesome! I'm going to give it my first shot on Sunday evening for the first business trip! I'll let you know how it goes!

What is your experience with car washes in the winter? I have the standard suspension and a little worried about the "wheel ramp" washed will do harm to the undercarriage or battery if it isn't just right.