Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Victor, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This supercharger is HEAVILY needed, especially for someone staying in the Rochester area... We came into town for a wedding and over the past two days I have had to spend hours slumming it at a local Ford dealership to get enough juice back to handle day to day driving (even getting 21mph charging back, still a pain in the @$$) and trip back to Buffalo tomorrow. My uncle has made fun of us and it makes owning an electric car look like a pain, when in reality it is SO great.really hoping they open it in Rochester before Christmas (they'd almost have to to achieve their 2016 map prediction)

Does anyone know which chargers are the fastest in the Rochester area? RITmaybe?
I'll be visiting family for a weekend in Nov. They are live in an appt with no good charging options. I'll be mostly in Victor but will also be passing thru Henrietta.
It's a bit far but the Ford dealership just outside Webster (across street from marina Mitsubishi) gives you up to 22 mi per hr back. It kept us alive while we stayed near Webster at relatives house that had very old electric and I didn't feel comfortable charging there. Bonus is there is a bar across the street from the Ford charger.

It's a bit far but the Ford dealership just outside Webster (across street from marina Mitsubishi) gives you up to 22 mi per hr back. It kept us alive while we stayed near Webster at relatives house that had very old electric and I didn't feel comfortable charging there. Bonus is there is a bar across the street from the Ford charger.

Thanks for the info...unfortunately, I'll have my kid with me so the bar won't be much use to me. I'll try out RIT during while I'm there. I'd hope their chargers would be ok.

I'm up in Rochester quite a bit (my son plays soccer at UofR), and i've used the Tesla HPWC at RIT many times - its definitely faster than the Level 2 chargers at the car dealerships; it'll give you 80amps (~42 miles per hour), BUT be sure to treat the cord right. I've noticed during the summer that i'd find it on the ground or kinked up from a careless previous user, and after about 15 min at full power, it used to reduce the power to 40amps (still equivalent to a Level 2, but half the flow you could have). I always coil it up nicely (which, really, is the least one should do to show some appreciation for the free juice and the service of hosting a HPWC), and the last few times it's given me full power always.

I'm up in Rochester quite a bit (my son plays soccer at UofR), and i've used the Tesla HPWC at RIT many times - its definitely faster than the Level 2 chargers at the car dealerships; it'll give you 80amps (~42 miles per hour), BUT be sure to treat the cord right. I've noticed during the summer that i'd find it on the ground or kinked up from a careless previous user, and after about 15 min at full power, it used to reduce the power to 40amps (still equivalent to a Level 2, but half the flow you could have). I always coil it up nicely (which, really, is the least one should do to show some appreciation for the free juice and the service of hosting a HPWC), and the last few times it's given me full power always.
Do you have the dual charger option? I didn't think the Tesla HPWC would go that high otherwise. I have mine at hope on a 100amp breaker and I only get the standard 26miles/hr.

I also checked in with campus safety..they didn't know much about the chargers other than the locations.

So..parked at the chargers near the gym at RIT. 2 model S were there when I arrived. Went back a while later and I was the only car in the charger area. An hour after that when we were leaving, all but one of the EV spots were taken by non-EV cars even though there was a lot of other parking. So if you go in the afternoon, you may have trouble parking near the gym. But...I'd suggest finding the Tesla chargers on campus anyway since the gym ones were only doing 12 mph.

From your fingers to Elon's ears (eyes?). Anyone else notice the story regarding the failure of Tesla to add enough service centers to keep up with customer needs? Saw it in Green Car Reports.
We have friends in Upstate that would by a Tesla but can't justify it without a local Service facility. Where do you take yours for service? Columbus?

Reactions: neroden
We have friends in Upstate that would by a Tesla but can't justify it without a local Service facility. Where do you take yours for service? Columbus?

I have used the Mississauga, ON, and the Lynnbrook, OH Service Centers. Last week, for the first time I used Ranger Service for my third annual service. I had been paying for it with my service agreement but had not previously taken advantage of the service. I had a very positive experience and saved myself 6+ hours of driving back and forth to Lynnbrook.

I just saw that a blue permit dot has appeared in the region of the Eastview Mall in Victor, NY! Looks like there may, in fact, be a Supercharger in place in time for my #2 grandson's Bar Mitzvah this June! Otherwise, I'll continue to make do with my Son's NEMA 14-50 outlet.