Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wall, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wall, SD

Interstates: I-90
US Numbered Highways: US-14*

I-90:
To: Murdo, SD - 81.7 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Oacoma, SD - 150.6 miles

It's also 117.9 miles to Pierre, SD.

This is another useful splitter, which will divide a 135 mile gap.
(The would leave the largest gap on I-90 between Bilings, MT and Sheridan, WY, also a 135 mile gap. Tesla doesn't indicate that it will be filling that gap this year.)

* US-14 is concurrent with I-90, although they splits a little to the east

Last edited:
This is bueno, and makes more sense after Custer as a stop eastbound, although I'll miss the strategically-posed statue adjacent the Rapid City location aka the sad, dying mall. Although maybe it'll emerge from bankruptcy as an Amazon distribution center or some such. Don't laugh - RC had the busiest Walmart in the country there for awhile. Evidently people in Eastern Wyoming (of whom there are more than you'd think) don't mind a little drive.

I will say that if you're ever caught in a sunny day hailstorm at that Rapid City mall, there is cover directly across from that SC which will hold at least 2 vehicles.

That's the only thing about SD and to a lesser extent, CO and WY the last couple times through - that hail is no. joke. atall.
3.5 months until Sound of Silence 6 in Custer... South Dakota (and then the Wall SC, hopefully).

Ahh, western South Dakota. Home of the ever vigilant state troopers just itching to bust a Californian for transporting unlawful materials to poison their youths (or yutes if you are from Joisey.)

Seems your correspondent was breezing eastbound along Interstate 90 at mile marker 21 at 78 MPH in a 75 MPH zone in a rental car with California plates. Zap! went the radar. On came the red lights. A personal conversation ensued with your correspondent sitting in the passenger seat of a South Dakota state trooper's prowler. Copious notes were recorded in this conversation. Then, Rex, the drug-sniffing canine circumnavigated the rental car. Rex was wagging his tail feverishly at the right rear quarter. Your correspondent was subject to a search of his person and a thorough search of his belongings that were in the rental car. Three-quarters of an hour later with all personal effects replaced in their rightful locations, this weary traveler departed with a warning ticket for violating the speed limit by 3 MPH. This souvenir is way better than a picture postcard of Mt. Rushmore.

As I was dismissed, I asked the trooper what his batting average was with incidents like this. He had two in the past three years, and did not remember the number of total stops and searches. He was cool but I felt like he was just following orders from Pierre.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Ahh, western South Dakota. Home of the ever vigilant state troopers just itching to bust a Californian for transporting unlawful materials to poison their youths (or yutes if you are from Joisey.)

Seems your correspondent was breezing eastbound along Interstate 90 at mile marker 21 at 78 MPH in a 75 MPH zone in a rental car with California plates. Zap! went the radar. On came the red lights. A personal conversation ensued with your correspondent sitting in the passenger seat of a South Dakota state trooper's prowler. Copious notes were recorded in this conversation. Then, Rex, the drug-sniffing canine circumnavigated the rental car. Rex was wagging his tail feverishly at the right rear quarter. Your correspondent was subject to a search of his person and a thorough search of his belongings that were in the rental car. Three-quarters of an hour later with all personal effects replaced in their rightful locations, this weary traveler departed with a warning ticket for violating the speed limit by 3 MPH. This souvenir is way better than a picture postcard of Mt. Rushmore.

As I was dismissed, I asked the trooper what his batting average was with incidents like this. He had two in the past three years, and did not remember the number of total stops and searches. He was cool but I felt like he was just following orders from Pierre.
This disgusting practice is quite common in many states. Try driving I-40 through northern AZ with out of state plates. I literally know guys who have been pulled over for driving too slow and even driving *exactly* the speed limit (they claimed it was somehow suspicious that he never wavered from the speed limit). And of course out come the "drug" dogs every time.

Reactions: Big Earl

How long ago was this? The speed limit for I-90 was upped to 80 mph (at least it was for the East River stretch I drove in December).

In 2011, I'm not sure if any state had 80mph speed limits. It was around that time that they did small (like 50 mile stretches) test strips of 80mph speed limits in southern Utah and West Texas. After a year or two that, it seemed like several western states adopted the 80mph limits fairly quickly.

Wall City Council meeting minutes from 1/22/2019 suggest parking lot (where the SC will be built) was delayed due to underground tank removal, but that construction would begin the week of February 25th (last week) and would be completed in 5 phases West to East. This is obviously all subject to winter weather delays - but it's encouraging the site work is moving forward and perhaps the SC work might begin in March/April (?). Seems iffy that it would be done before the Custer Rally, but I'm sure everyone coming from the East (myself included) will be stopping there either way to check it out.

01-22-2019 Meeting Minutes