Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - what speeds are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you set the SuperCharger as the destination so that you got the pre-charge conditioning?

That would give you maximum possible.

Tesla may be throttling the SuperCharger during peak times, Demand Side Response is used to reduce loads to take peak strain off the grid. This would also reduce expensive peak charge times. Were you charging 07:00-09:00 or 17:00-19:00? However I am not sure this is actively done, not seen any hard evidence.

I don't have a car to compare with but a couple of things come to mind, firstly what was your state of charge when you plugged it in as you will find it is a lot slower as it gets nearer to its full capacity. Also did you set it as a destination on the nav so the battery was preheated? I think it shows when this is happening on screen as again this will affect it.

Great questions - thank you. I was charging at about 4pm but I was at 70% (I was just testing that it deducted from my free allocation - which it did :)). So that might be part of it.

As for setting as destination this must be relatively new. I had a model S 2 years ago and that wasn't a feature. Assume you literally just select the supercharger location as a destination on the sat nav?

Great questions - thank you. I was charging at about 4pm but I was at 70% (I was just testing that it deducted from my free allocation - which it did :)). So that might be part of it.

As for setting as destination this must be relatively new. I had a model S 2 years ago and that wasn't a feature. Assume you literally just select the supercharger location as a destination on the sat nav?

at 70% I would hint it should still be a little higher... but will have to see what I get.

Yes. Select SC on navigation or if you're headed to a supercharger as part of a long trip and the car breaks down your charging stops...

Dennis

I did this yesterday (as mentioned above), selected a Supercharger on my map (Hopwood Services from Birmingham Pickup) and when i got close a message popped up saying the Battery is preconditioning. Once there plugged in (About 40%) and got around 85kw, it then tailed off towards 85%. Charging took 20mins for that.

I was between a M3 (Guy had picked his up too) and a MS (There were about another 2 MS's but they were further down on the stalls)

I don’t know is UK cars are different but for our US M3 that would be about right. There are many posts on this but fastest charge rates are in the 15-30% range when you’ll get 145kW or so. It then tapers as the battery gets full. Really drips after 60%.

As for preconditioning, that’s normally for winter conditions. First see if your car has limited regen. There will be a dotted line on the left at the top. Doesn’t hurt to have navigate there just in case but battery warms up quickly in summer.

Tesla may be throttling the SuperCharger during peak times, Demand Side Response is used to reduce loads to take peak strain off the grid. This would also reduce expensive peak charge times. Were you charging 07:00-09:00 or 17:00-19:00? However I am not sure this is actively done, not seen any hard evidence.

I don't see why they would have fast chargers then only use them for a slower charge to save money when customers are paying a premium price for the charging and makes no sense increasing the rate with V3, if they were very concerned they could install power packs as that is their purpose. I assume what you suggested was just a guess...

don't see why they would have fast chargers then only use them for a slower charge to save money when customers are paying a premium price for the charging and makes no sense increasing the rate with V3, if they were very concerned they could install power packs as that is their purpose. I assume what you suggested was just a guess...

Yes - just a guess!

Thoughts anyone!?

Not wanting to spread FUD ;)

The DNO may stipulate this, however I totally agree it makes little sense.

However from reports from users we know they do throttle back the superchargers if they are busy to save tripping the breaker, V3 was meant to reduce the need to do this. Much like multiple connected TWCs operating in Master / Slave mode.

So have a model 3 (not that I think that's relevant) and was the only car at Heathrow Terminal 5 (Hilton) superchargers yesterday. The speed was 68kwh. That seems very poor.

Thoughts anyone!?

Doesn't sound right. When I first got my model S 5 years ago there were certain hotels where the power levels fluctuated and you wouldn't always get full speed but that was 5 years ago, thought they would have resolved that by now.

Take it to one of the ionity chargers, you should get 190kW

My experience is still limited but I think you need to gather a few data points to get any conclusion. Mine (S not 3) generally charges at about 120kW if SoC is in the lower/middle range but sometimes it doesn't go much above half that even in the same range.

To what extent is preconditioning needed/useful if you've been driving for say half an hour or more? Is the battery then already in the right state or is preconditioning different?

Stopped at Woodhall Services M1South on the way back from Stockport. Car was charged at 50% at pickup. Down to 38% at Woodhall. The first Supercharger stall I parked at didn’t have the CCS connector :rolleyes: The second one wouldn’t work at all - it kept starting then immediately stopping! (Memories of Ecotricity and the Kona here :eek:)
But the third one was fine, and immediately ramped up to 111kW :D

390640A4-59E9-4999-8542-AE4285CBB651.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mr Miserable
What you got sounds about right on the overall spectrum (allowing for your battery state as you arrived; was it your nav destination etc.)
Yes, it was the nav destination, and the journey there took about 90 minutes, but there was no visible indication of battery conditioning before we arrived. Do you get an indication of conditioning? Or maybe due to the outside temperature etc it wasn’t needed?

To what extent is preconditioning needed/useful if you've been driving for say half an hour or more? Is the battery then already in the right state or is preconditioning different?

If battery has not already got to ideal temperature then if navigating to Supercharger (or SatNav having chosen it as a waypoint) car will heat battery in time for arrival.

Of course if battery was already at ideal temperature then no action would need to occur :)