Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Williams, CA - 6th Street (LIVE 18 Dec 2019, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, let's try again.. September 28th Giants/Dodgers game... This thing gonna be done? I'm guessing PGE is to blame on this one, or is it V3 hardware issues? I grumbled the entire time eating at Granzellas across the street that "I could be charging right now". It made my Ribeye taste terrible.

They have truck parking across the street so I parked my truck over there to eat at grandella's. By the way poking my head over at the Tesla charging station. Doesn't look like they're making much progress It kind of seems to be the same as a month ago.I see the battery packs and all the conduits in but there's no charging stands. Looks to me that's all they're missing

I saw this thread pop up with a new post and got excited. I'm headed back from Ashland tomorrow (chaperoning 7th graders on a multi-day Oregon Shakespeare Festival field trip). It would be a great stop, allowing me to skip Corning. But this pedestal backlog sadly seems to be continuing.

I saw this thread pop up with a new post and got excited. I'm headed back from Ashland tomorrow (chaperoning 7th graders on a multi-day Oregon Shakespeare Festival field trip). It would be a great stop, allowing me to skip Corning. But this pedestal backlog sadly seems to be continuing.
We’ll be there in 2 weeks on our way to Ashland/OSF and points further north. I hope the inaction gets cured and they’re ready by then! :)

I Spoke to a Redding buiding official last week, Tesla is in talks, but hasn't formerly submitted. I'll be giving them a routine call every couple weeks to check in.
Who’s the Redding official? I would like to email them as well. Live in Redding and it is severely lacking a charger. In arid Redding is trying to force it to go by the sundial bridge with no good services. I believe initially this is why they placed in mt shasta.

Was just there on Saturday, October 5th. Doesn’t look like much progress since the last photos were posted on this thread. Perfect place for a supercharger. Granzella’s is a good place to get a snack or a meal and has clean bathrooms. Sometimes parking can be an issue and imagine spots will be ICE’d on busy days.

Attachments

• 1D7DD4BA-D973-4F50-9C62-674E2A5E6FE9.jpeg
    1D7DD4BA-D973-4F50-9C62-674E2A5E6FE9.jpeg
    905.2 KB · Views: 110
  • AE5530B5-0EA8-4EE9-BA51-D15DEC606237.jpeg
    AE5530B5-0EA8-4EE9-BA51-D15DEC606237.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 101
  • C063FD3D-8C51-40DE-8506-CF0D8BDCABB6.jpeg
    C063FD3D-8C51-40DE-8506-CF0D8BDCABB6.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 0530B86C-F02A-4B74-AC73-D6DAAE930631.jpeg
    0530B86C-F02A-4B74-AC73-D6DAAE930631.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 835352BD-1647-4790-BE41-4C859CD82229.jpeg
    835352BD-1647-4790-BE41-4C859CD82229.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 8D4BE2D7-A9C5-4E0A-AE09-0C97AC39AD9A.jpeg
    8D4BE2D7-A9C5-4E0A-AE09-0C97AC39AD9A.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 90
  • B4E2416C-B39E-4749-9984-036902727D66.jpeg
    B4E2416C-B39E-4749-9984-036902727D66.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • A70CDF0A-74C6-4CDF-B018-E6868CBDB382.jpeg
    A70CDF0A-74C6-4CDF-B018-E6868CBDB382.jpeg
    766.6 KB · Views: 106
Was just there on Saturday, October 5th. Doesn’t look like much progress since the last photos were posted on this thread. Perfect place for a supercharger. Granzella’s is a good place to get a snack or a meal and has clean bathrooms. Sometimes parking can be an issue and imagine spots will be ICE’d on busy days.
Thanks for the update. I was hoping to use this Saturday on our way north. Oh well. Maybe I’ll try Chico.

Can any expert eyes tell whether these will be 150kW or 250kW?

Thanks for the update. I was hoping to use this Saturday on our way north. Oh well. Maybe I’ll try Chico.

Can any expert eyes tell whether these will be 150kW or 250kW?
It was concluded upthread that the 3 clusters of conduits for 12 stalls must be for V3 Supercharger cabinets. The V2 cabinets only serve two stalls each. Therefore, Williams will be 250kW.

Who’s the Redding official? I would like to email them as well. Live in Redding and it is severely lacking a charger. In arid Redding is trying to force it to go by the sundial bridge with no good services. I believe initially this is why they placed in mt shasta.

I only spoke with the building Official, he has not replied to an inter-agency request the last email I sent, you can get it off the Redding website. Id be willing to bet Redding has little to no clue where and when Tesla is going in Redding, unless Redding is giving Tesla a sweetheart deal on Power (they are their own utility), but I doubt it. Post Q's in the Redding thread to discuss.

Everyone who has posted detailed photos here rocks! Thanks! It lets me armchair learn about the new V3 supercharger architecture.

I annotated a couple of photos tonight with my guesses of what the various conduits are for.

If anyone could get a shot of the "nameplate" on the transformer (basically any writing you can find on it) I would appreciate it! I am dead curious what size transformer that is (which will be the overall limitation of the supercharger location if indeed each cabinet can suck down a megawatt). I am guessing that transformer is no larger than 1.5 megawatt (though you can abuse them and use them above their nameplate value for shorter periods of time).

Pads.jpeg

Cabinets.jpeg

Let me know your thoughts! Any additional photos are appreciated as things progress! If someone could get photos of the light poles too that would be interesting to help confirm where the various extra smaller conduits go. I am guessing perhaps to the light poles, but they could also be for fiber (for future WiFi, etc...). Any other conduits are of course interesting to see photos of.

I am really looking forward to this being online!!!

I previously speculated on the Santa Rosa thread that the small conduits that come together at the end of the row of Supercharger cabinets is for site power management. They could be for measuring or communicating the power delivery of each cabinet or even each stall as well as measuring the total site draw from the utility transformer. This would allow a small computer to manage the draw of the site so that it remains within the power limits of the site, even though the theoretical maximum demand could overload the utility transformer. Remember that each V3 stall can theoretically deliver 250kW. 12 stalls is theoretically 3MW aggregate demand. I suspect that a 2500 kVA transformer will be used at the site. That is the size used at the Las Vegas Linq Supercharger site.

See my similar comments about the site power manager in the Santa Rosa thread here: Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (under construction, no transformer Aug 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I previously speculated on the Santa Rosa thread that the small conduits that come together at the end of the row of Supercharger cabinets is for site power management. They could be for measuring or communicating the power delivery of each cabinet or even each stall as well as measuring the total site draw from the utility transformer. This would allow a small computer to manage the draw of the site so that it remains within the power limits of the site, even though the theoretical maximum demand could overload the utility transformer. Remember that each V3 stall can theoretically deliver 250kW. 12 stalls is theoretically 3MW aggregate demand. I suspect that a 2500 kVA transformer will be used at the site. That is the size used at the Las Vegas Linq Supercharger site.

See my similar comments about the site power manager in the Santa Rosa thread here: Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (under construction, no transformer Aug 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

Interesting.

So yes! I was thinking something similar. Somewhere they likely have a device dedicated to site power management (not overloading the transformer, not overloading what the utility has said they can use, playing games with time of use / demand charges, etc...)

I am thinking that the photo you just linked to is a little different design than this one. In the Williams one, the conduits look like they daisy chain from one unit to the next. In yours, it looks like there are two of them from each SC cabinet to that grey box. These conduits are very large for control cables, but not all that large if they were trying to do power sharing between cabinets.... So yeah, I don't know what exactly they are for.

Also, in the Williams example, I wonder how they do data communications out? Are they using the very small conduits back to the switchgear and they have the comms gear in the switchgear cabinet? (seems odd)

Note that if you look through the photos in this thread it looks like the four small conduits coming up at the end of the SC cabinet row (metal) got added later. I almost missed them. So I was thinking they were unrelated to the ones that I presume go from the SC cabinets to the switchgear pad (but who knows, they could go from the SC cabinets to the end of row and then a single one going to the switchgear pad?). Hard to tell without pulling on the mule tape and seeing what moves on the other end. ;-)

I think you mean Corning.

Corning has been busy for a few years even during the week can be almost full.

There was a line of 4 this holiday weekend.

I'm excited.

I ate at the deli once, it was quite decent. Lots of options, so this will be a good food charger, more so than Corning.

There is a place behind the gas station and McDonalds that sells garden art. The older man who sells the stuff makes it himself with his family (it retails at a lot of nice garden centers). Its a fun place to go, you'll see it when coming in from the North, you won't miss it. You'll see his latest stagecoach and dragons... Probably very entertaining for little kids. He makes it from the metal of old cars.
If you're ever on 395 in eastern California, use the SC in Lone Pine, cross the highway, walk north a bit to a while building with "The Grill" painted on the side. Order the pork chops with a side of green beans. Heavenly! Seriously. It's right across the street from a McDonald's.

Reactions: Owner