Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the critical SC stop for my travel to NJ next Friday. I know they need town approval and all but if the test is successful, I should be able to use it on Friday and try not to use the Bethesda SC . Can someone who live close by try it out on Thursday and report back on this tread? I really appreciate it.

Do you have dual charger? I live close by to here and have HPWC that you can use if you want.

Pics from today. Eight stalls. Superchargers and transformers all appear to be in. One of the stalls has its shell and cable hooked up; the other 7 don't yet.
jyryvuju.jpg
7ubu9u3y.jpg
a7aqejag.jpg
3ymabydy.jpg
yju6u7u2.jpg

Pics from today. Eight stalls. Superchargers and transformers all appear to be in. One of the stalls has its shell and cable hooked up; the other 7 don't yet.

The crabapple blossoms look lovely, but I don't see a transformer in any of your pictures. See a picture from Blanding, UT for reference.

Don't count your Joules* until you see a transformer...hope this Supercharger in Woodbridge is on-line soon!

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

The crabapple blossoms look lovely, but I don't see a transformer in any of your pictures. See a picture from Blanding, UT for reference.

Don't count your Joules* until you see a transformer...hope this Supercharger in Woodbridge is on-line soon!

View attachment 47501

Sorry. There is a transformer behind the distribution center, but I didn't get any clear pics of it, or get close enough to see if it is different/bigger than the one that had been pictured up thread.

Edit: from memory, it looks unchanged from the one in Tyl's pic in post 102.

Sorry. There is a transformer behind the distribution center, but I didn't get any clear pics of it, or get close enough to see if it is different/bigger than the one that had been pictured up thread.

Edit: from memory, it looks unchanged from the one in Tyl's pic in post 102.

Thanks for the update, and sorry if I was a little pedantic about the transformer; several folks have confused the distribution center for a transformer at other sites.

Good luck and hope many of you get to charge in Woodbridge soon! :biggrin:

Thanks for the update, and sorry if I was a little pedantic about the transformer; several folks have confused the distribution center for a transformer at other sites.

Good luck and hope many of you get to charge in Woodbridge soon! :biggrin:

No worries--I had confused them, too! But after looking at your diagram I recalled that the actual transformer was also onsite. If I had realized what it all was, I would have gotten pics of that, as well.

Since I haven't had the chance to get over there, someone in one of my Google+ circles posted some updated photos of the site which I thought I would share here.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I find it interesting that they are "caging" in the cabinets instead of putting a brick wall around them like they have done on other sites. I like this a bit more since you can see "behind the curtain" so to speak :)

Anyway, the site looks to be just about finished, so we might be pretty close to on track for opening next week. I will try to make a trip over there this weekend at the latest to see if I can grab some power from the site (assuming they have removed all the barriers and such by then).

Edit: back to the 10 vs 8 thing, I was re-looking through the previous photos taken and if you notice this one in particular:
WdbdgSC0005.JPG

You can see there is one labeled "5" and "5a"/"5b", so they clearly ran the piping expecting 10 stalls, but then you look at the distribution centers, and it doesn't look like they left enough room on the concrete slab to put a 5th distribution center... even though the piping is there for it... *scratches head* I really don't get what they were doing here... Either they accidentally ran too many pipes, or they changed their mind halfway through the project, or they left it "open" for future expansion... but didn't leave enough room for it... This really confuses me...

Anyway, Fingers crossed this is a 135kW site!!!

Last edited:
The reason why they are caging it is because thats what the owners of the mall want. They already have cages like this (for other purposes) and they want to keep it same for everywhere. I will be going by there tomorrow afternoon and keep you all posted.

You can see there is one labeled "5" and "5a"/"5b", so they clearly ran the piping expecting 10 stalls, but then you look at the distribution centers, and it doesn't look like they left enough room on the concrete slab to put a 5th distribution center... even though the piping is there for it... *scratches head* I really don't get what they were doing here... Either they accidentally ran too many pipes, or they changed their mind halfway through the project, or they left it "open" for future expansion... but didn't leave enough room for it... This really confuses me...

Anyway, Fingers crossed this is a 135kW site!!!

Sorry to be pedantic, but the flow is Transformer->Distribution Center->Supercharger Cabinets->Charging Stations (Stalls, Pedestals). There is one Distribution Center feeding multiple Supercharger Cabinets, each feeding two Charging Stations. See my earlier post, #124 for reference.

As to Cabinet #5, it's clearly for future growth. If you look at pics in JST's post #123, it is pretty obvious there is space for Cabinet#5. It is common practice at Supercharger Sites to install conduit for one or two spare/future growth cabinets.

I hope for 135 kW cabinets in all the new installs. It's clearly labeled on the cabinet; this should be easy to see through the bars. BTW, with a typical 90% efficiency, 135 kW out, needs 150 kW in per cabinet. If all 4 cabinets are at full power, that is 600 kW, technically more than a 500 kVA transformer can handle. However this is a peak, low-probability case, and utilities commonly overload transformers for short periods of time. If someone gets a chance, see what the transformer rating is. It should be stenciled on the transformer somewhere.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the flow is Transformer->Distribution Center->Supercharger Cabinets->Charging Stations (Stalls, Pedestals). There is one Distribution Center feeding multiple Supercharger Cabinets, each feeding two Charging Stations. See my earlier post, #124 for reference.

As to Cabinet #5, it's clearly for future growth. If you look at pics in JST's post #123, it is pretty obvious there is space for Cabinet#5. It is common practice at Supercharger Sites to install conduit for one or two spare/future growth cabinets.

I hope for 135 kW cabinets in all the new installs. It's clearly labeled on the cabinet; this should be easy to see through the bars. BTW, with a typical 90% efficiency, 135 kW out, needs 150 kW in per cabinet. If all 4 cabinets are at full power, that is 600 kW, technically more than a 500 kVA transformer can handle. However this is a peak, low-probability case, and utilities commonly overload transformers for short periods of time. If someone gets a chance, see what the transformer rating is. It should be stenciled on the transformer somewhere.

And unfortunately the transformer isn't clearly visible in these pics, either--it's behind the distribution center, between that and the porta-john that you can see in some of the pictures. If anyone else heads over there, that would be the thing to get some shots of, since we haven't seen it clearly in anyone's pics yet (including mine).

Wonder what the odds of this being open by next weekend would be? I'd stop through and check it out on my way south if I could top off there. Shouldn't need to, since the Newark DE to Glen Allen VA trip is doable, but would make a decent pit stop.

Wonder what the odds of this being open by next weekend would be? I'd stop through and check it out on my way south if I could top off there. Shouldn't need to, since the Newark DE to Glen Allen VA trip is doable, but would make a decent pit stop.

Personally I would be doubtful of late next week based on delays we've seen in the past. Tesla and their contractors need to improve their timeline accuracy before guessing when they'll be done. We've seen too many hiccups lately to say it will be done by a given date in my opinion. It is starting to improve again though.

hey I don't knock valuable information from anyone. Your input is appreciated. I knew this was The flow, but assumed from the piping that it was one distribution center per cabinet to two stalls. As in for 10 stalls you would need 5 distribution centers and 5 cabinets. From what I seem to be grasping from your comments you can have more than one cabinet to a distribution center? As in they could safely add one more cabinet while keeping the same number of distribution centers?

hey I don't knock valuable information from anyone. Your input is appreciated. I knew this was The flow, but assumed from the piping that it was one distribution center per cabinet to two stalls. As in for 10 stalls you would need 5 distribution centers and 5 cabinets. From what I seem to be grasping from your comments you can have more than one cabinet to a distribution center? As in they could safely add one more cabinet while keeping the same number of distribution centers?

Can definitely have more than one supercharger cabinet (two stalls) per distribution center. I believe the one they just installed in Hamilton has three slots used and two open for expansion, for example. So could be 5 supercharger cabinets to 1 distribution center. Probably could be more if they spec'd it properly.

The Distribution Center is like a giant circuit breaker box and each Supercharger Cabinet is a giant EVSE with DC out. Most of the Square-D Distribution Centers can handle up to 2,000 Amps on their busses. That is 1.7 MW, maxed out, enough electricity for almost a 100 houses! A 135 kW cabinet needs 180 Amps, 3-Phase, 480 Volts in. Because they are using fancy electronic circuit breakers, that can run at 100% of a continuous load, that means that a single Distribution Center can supply up to 11 cabinets feeding 22 charging stations. Except for some of the original 6 Supercharger sites, that got new equipment upgrades, every Supercharger Site that I have seen, had one transformer feeding a single Distribution Center, feeding multiple cabinets, each feeding two charging stations.

The Distribution Center is like a giant circuit breaker box and each Supercharger Cabinet is a giant EVSE with DC out. Most of the Square-D Distribution Centers can handle up to 2,000 Amps on their busses. That is 1.7 MW, maxed out, enough electricity for almost a 100 houses! A 135 kW cabinet needs 180 Amps, 3-Phase, 480 Volts in. Because they are using fancy electronic circuit breakers, that can run at 100% of a continuous load, that means that a single Distribution Center can supply up to 11 cabinets feeding 22 charging stations. Except for some of the original 6 Supercharger sites, that got new equipment upgrades, every Supercharger Site that I have seen, had one transformer feeding a single Distribution Center, feeding multiple cabinets, each feeding two charging stations.

So then... There is a LOT of room for upgrade??? Or could this also be future proofing the site for when they up the output again, since they have already said they can hit 150kW... Maybe they are planning for even higher than that in the future?