Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla there testing moments ago. I 'think' the test car was supercharging!
IMG_9782.JPG

Yes, testing was completed successfully and contractors are in process of finishing the landscaping. Just waiting for county approval this coming Monday. If approved, this much awaited SC will be operational on Monday itself.

I was told that they did not require the transformer as they are getting 480 volts direct feed from Dominion.

i will be posting some pictures shortly, and yes I did seek and was granted the permission to do so by couple of Tesla representatives and the foreman.

Eagerly awaiting official ribbon cutting announcement from Tesla.

Yes, testing was completed successfully and contractors are in process of finishing the landscaping. Just waiting for county approval this coming Monday. If approved, this much awaited SC will be operational on Monday itself.

I was told that they did not require the transformer as they are getting 480 volts direct feed from Dominion.

i will be posting some pictures shortly, and yes I did seek and was granted the permission to do so by couple of Tesla representatives and the foreman.

Eagerly awaiting official ribbon cutting announcement from Tesla.

Great news!

Awesome.

I know the appearance issues are up to the local authority, but that gorilla cage they're using for the chargers sure looks goofy.

Well said.
Maybe symbolic but IMHO is very much indicative of the current state of affairs as well as future of our coming generations.

TESLA is the Gorilla that is going to take over the world and shift the paradigm.

Paradigm shift is imminent.

Last edited:
Looks great, aside from the complete lack of a Roadster HPC. Sure would be nice to be able to use these Tesla stations...

Space, the Final Frontier!

Adding an HPC with an HPC to MS adapter bolted on, or a 70-80 Amp J1772 would be easy and a relatively inexpensive add-on. For example a 277 Volt to 240 Volt or a 480 Volt to 240 Volt transformer at 20 kW is not that expensive.

I am with you, but the real limitation is parking spaces. Right now, it's a simple message to hotels, shopping centers, etc.; you dedicate some parking spaces and a little land, then Tesla will bring you premium customers, and maybe you will get some green brownie points. Roadsters and overflow charging for MS's is confusing, and Leafs can be a pain in the neck... :wink:

I've worked to put some High Amp J1772's in my neck of the woods, that help MS's and Roadsters, but dedicated parking is always the issue. Figure out how to work with the Sun Country Highway folks like they have in Washington, North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project. In addition, it does look like the Sun Country program is drifting into the U.S. with Best Western Hotels. Look at this map across the Southern U.S.: EV Trip Planner - Sun Country Highway

I visited early this afternoon and talked to the contractor. The electrical inspector came this morning and approved the work. While I was there, the site inspector arrived and I went to eat lunch. When I got back, the inspector was still there and we talked briefly while he admired my Model S. I gather there was still a minor item of site work still to be done. The contractor left to go to the county offices to start the paperwork to obtain a "Certificate of Occupancy."

The utility transformer is the one that was there before the work started. It is rated at 300 kVA. If this site gets heavy use, I suspect the transformer will need to be replaced with a larger one. The site is still barricaded and the contractor was unwilling or unable to say when it might go live.

The utility transformer is the one that was there before the work started. It is rated at 300 kVA. If this site gets heavy use, I suspect the transformer will need to be replaced with a larger one. The site is still barricaded and the contractor was unwilling or unable to say when it might go live.

See my post at Can I use a dual charger if I do not have that option? - Page 2.

I am now convinced that the Tesla chargers emulate a good approximation to a resistive load on the grid. If that is true, then kVA=kW. Best charging case for the seven stalls is three cabinets at 135 kW and the one cabinet connected to a single stall at 120 kW. That totals to 525 kW. The local Tesla owners will have to coordinate a little charge-a-thon, stress test and see if you can get close.

Make that transformer hum!!! :biggrin:

Disclaimer: Not an electrician!!!

Ok, got that out of the way, I looked all over for placards that seemed "helpful" in identification... There was NOTHING visible on the white cabinets that I could see (any tips on where to look???)

First picture is actually the power meter itself. the window didn't come out well given the rainy situation, but it looks like your basic power meter. It is turned off so without even plugging in a car I can tell you that it wouldn't give you a charge. The next two are shots of the back and then front of the distribution centers. I couldn't spot anything on either of them that seemed "helpful" but maybe that serial number will mean something to someone. The date is interesting at least, these have a November date on them. Anyway, I will happily try to take more detailed pictures if someone can point out where I should try looking.
IMG_20140428_180834.jpg
IMG_20140428_180847.jpg
IMG_20140428_180909.jpg

Ok, got that out of the way, I looked all over for placards that seemed "helpful" in identification... There was NOTHING visible on the white cabinets that I could see (any tips on where to look???)

The Supercharger (white) Cabinet labels are on one of the beveled corners, about 4"x3" or so in size. Here is a picture of a label from Hamilton, NJ, from Supercharger - Hamilton Marketplace, NJ - Page 3. These are labels for the latest, 135 kW cabinets.

2014-04-01%2015.17.09-1280.jpg

See my post at Can I use a dual charger if I do not have that option? - Page 2.

I am now convinced that the Tesla chargers emulate a good approximation to a resistive load on the grid. If that is true, then kVA=kW. Best charging case for the seven stalls is three cabinets at 135 kW and the one cabinet connected to a single stall at 120 kW. That totals to 525 kW. The local Tesla owners will have to coordinate a little charge-a-thon, stress test and see if you can get close.

Make that transformer hum!!! :biggrin:

Up thread, someone (ABVA?) made reference to Tesla getting a direct 480V feed from Dominion (the power co) and thus avoiding a transformer. Does that make sense?

Edit: see post 143, above.

Last edited:
The Supercharger (white) Cabinet labels are on one of the beveled corners, about 4"x3" or so in size. Here is a picture of a label from Hamilton, NJ, from Supercharger - Hamilton Marketplace, NJ - Page 3. These are labels for the latest, 135 kW cabinets.

Oh... Well, looking through the other thread... of course it would be in like the one place I didn't look. I was trying to get the pictures I could quickly since I was actually up on the landscaping and didn't want someone to come by and yell at me for snooping around too closely. Plus it was raining... I will try to go back over tomorrow and try again, since I think I know where to look now. (research failure...)

Up thread, someone (ABVA?) made reference to Tesla getting a direct 480V feed from Dominion (the power co) and thus avoiding a transformer. Does that make sense?

Edit: see post 143, above.

JST: yes that was me in post #143. And yes, there is no other transformer in the vicinity. Statement about direct feed of 480V from Dominion (Power Company) was from an individual from the contractor crew.

Please refer to post #86 and #87 as well, may be that will clarify the absence of a transformer.

Last edited:
OK, got what we were looking for. I seem to be doing the math wrong since the output is listed as 410 Voltage and 210A... which comes out to 86.1kW which I know can't be right. Must be missing something here for the multiplication... But in any case, this is the panel that was requested!
IMG_20140429_181028-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, comparing that with the 135kW one above, if you notice this also says on it "ASY,SUPERCHARGER,GEN I,NA" whereas the 135kW one says "GEN II, 135kW"... I hope they didn't give us old crappy 90kW superchargers... lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Figured I would provide the other photo I took which shows all of them, it is a little hard to make out but you can just barely read on the adjacent one that it says the same thing along the top "ASY,SUPERCHARGER,GEN I,NA"... Just in case someone was curious if they were in-fact all the same.
IMG_20140429_181037.jpg