Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to send to note to a newspaper in Gualala to inform their readers about the Supercharger voting. There was my original effort:

Voting is underway in the Spring Tesla Supercharger voting cycle. Gualala is one of the sites in contention for receiving a Supercharger, which will be determined by the number of votes received. The site to vote is: Supercharger Voting | Tesla A map will be displayed where you can zoom into the Gualala area to see the pin where you can add your vote. Gualala is located between Supercharing sites in Santa Rosa and Petaluma to the south and Fort Bragg to the north. Supercharger sites are known to bring visitors to an area where they will have time do some shopping while waiting for their cars to charge.

That seemed kind of bland, so I put it into ChatGPT and asked it to create a headline and punch up my text. Here's what it provided:
Headline: "Electrify Gualala: Cast Your Vote for a New Tesla Supercharger Station Today!"

Excitement is buzzing as the Spring Tesla Supercharger voting cycle kicks off! The picturesque town of Gualala has entered the race to secure a state-of-the-art Supercharger station, with its fate hanging in the balance of your votes. Make your voice heard by heading to Supercharger Voting | Tesla and finding the Gualala pin on the interactive map to cast your vote.
Nestled between existing Supercharger sites in Santa Rosa and Petaluma to the south and Fort Bragg to the north, Gualala's strategic location is a prime candidate for the next charging hub. An influx of Tesla drivers stopping to recharge their vehicles can boost the local economy, as they explore the town's charming shops and attractions while waiting for their cars to power up. Don't miss this electrifying opportunity to energize Gualala - vote now!

I wanted to send to note to a newspaper in Gualala to inform their readers about the Supercharger voting. There was my original effort:

That seemed kind of bland, so I put it into ChatGPT and asked it to create a headline and punch up my text. Here's what it provided:
This simply omits that in order to vote you must have an account at tesla.com. Which involves providing a bunch of personal information.

they got rid of like death valley and yosemite valley, and yosemite had a ton of votes, i assume they figured they couldnt put chargers in these locations?
lee vinning is nice, going from groveland to mammoth lakes was a stretch, not even sure if it would be possible to reach any other charging station
I think probably, sadly the NPS has to remain sort of agnostic and not go with an OEM chargers at least not till all could have magic docs and be reliable.

Magic docks in death Valley and Yosemite would be the ticket
I tried to update my post, but i guess my timer ran out…

I forgot to add that I think they would HAVE to have some/good cellular coverage or a point of sale option for non-Tesla drivers - again assuming Magic Dock capability for all ports.

In yosemite valley the coverage is poor, spotty for sure. I’m not sure about Death Valley. But having to have coverage is key if one is going to app based purchase and authenticate

I forgot to add that I think they would HAVE to have some/good cellular coverage or a point of sale option for non-Tesla drivers - again assuming Magic Dock capability for all ports.

In yosemite valley the coverage is poor, spotty for sure. I’m not sure about Death Valley. But having to have coverage is key if one is going to app based purchase and authenticate
Starlink?

Reactions: israndy and bmah
Starlink?
STARLINK with local open wifi would be fine, my concern is that others would tap into it too much. IF one had the app, they could limit the wifi internet ports and channels to the Tesla app and authentication channels (for credit card authorization or whatnot).. and they would probably have to open it to the app stores and download of JUST that app. I’m sure all that can be done, it just gets clunky.

But Starlink works for Tesla stuff, like activating billing for a charging session, or downloading the latest OS to the car. I can stream Netflix over it while I wait to charge. I don't really need my phone active for things other than Texting and I think my friends can wait until I drive away from the Supercharger and pick up reception on the road to hear from me...

Is this a NPS requirement for chargers? We aren't talking about the CA money that requires payment screens. Everything could run through starlink. People would just have to have the app downloaded ahead of time and it could be programmed to allow access to the starlink network for app use only for initiating charging and whatnot. Probably not setup that way now but it should be possible.

Understand the frustration of adding new places. Having pushed the button
for Gualala, a no-brainer, I put the following note up at Twitter Charging:

"Conspicuous-by-absence is a way to input “San Francisco, CA”. Imagine, a city of 800,000 with only *one* supercharger site location not in a fee-based garage. It’s a city with many apartment dwellers with no way to do 220V (old housing stock), without $$$ spent by landlords."

Yeah, it's a first-world problem, I know.

Understand the frustration of adding new places. Having pushed the button
for Gualala, a no-brainer, I put the following note up at Twitter Charging:

"Conspicuous-by-absence is a way to input “San Francisco, CA”. Imagine, a city of 800,000 with only *one* supercharger site location not in a fee-based garage. It’s a city with many apartment dwellers with no way to do 220V (old housing stock), without $$$ spent by landlords."

Yeah, it's a first-world problem, I know.
Are you saying one has to PAY TO ENTER the garage on Van Ness just to use one of the 12 superchargers? So the Marina 6 are the only open ones, that seems pretty odd.

And I’m not sure we have CURRENT data, but the city has put the current resident population closer to 720K these days… I know, splitting hairs.

Reactions: loquitur