Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be yet another bad decision in a series of bad decisions lately.

Tesla supercharger is awesome mainly because of its reliability, if Tesla moves toward allowing 3rd parties to purchase them, it’ll turn into another Electrified America network, EA is notorious for being unreliable because some individual owners of the stations do not care about maintenance or any repairs once they’re installed.
My post mentions sell hardware and service contracts, meaning Tesla is still on the hook for reliability and service but it requires them less upfront capital to expand the network. I personally think this is the next logical step to putting EV charging on every corner like Starbucks.

Look at their energy business, megapacks require service contracts. The supercharger systems will most likely follow suit and be cash flow positive.

Reactions: nwdiver
My post mentions sell hardware and service contracts, meaning Tesla is still on the hook for reliability and service but it requires them less upfront capital to expand the network. I personally think this is the next logical step to putting EV charging on every corner like Starbucks.

Look at their energy business, megapacks require service contracts. The supercharger systems will most likely follow suit and be cash flow positive.
I don’t think you can compare mega packs and superchargers, with mega packs a business can easily calculate their ROI, much less so with superchargers.

EV charging stations for private businesses have been around for a while now, and yet not many businesses are installing them (unless paid for by the government) and even fewer are keeping up with maintenance. If businesses aren’t paying to maintain the current chargers, why would they pay to maintain Tesla chargers?

And I’m not saying Tesla won’t be able to sell the hardware, I’m more worried that the private superchargers will go the way of the EA network because of stingy owners

Reactions: israndy

Exactly! I've never understood how Tesla is putting in a station that will attract business and the business that is benefiting from that station is still getting paid by Tesla for bringing in more business. Makes no sense.

It will be a lot better for everyone if the host helps to pay for the station instead of the other way around.

... I’m more worried that the private superchargers will go the way of the EA network because of stingy owners

As long as Tesla's name is NOT at the top of the charging pedestal, I don't care.

To me, one of the biggest mistakes Chargepoint, EVgo, and the like have made was placing their name on the charging stations. Yet responsibility for paying for the maintenance was that of the site operator. If the site operator let the service contract expire, and the station falls into disrepair, it makes CP/EVgo/etc look bad - not the site operator.

As long as Tesla's name is NOT at the top of the charging pedestal, I don't care.

To me, one of the biggest mistakes Chargepoint, EVgo, and the like have made was placing their name on the charging stations. Yet responsibility for paying for the maintenance was that of the site operator. If the site operator let the service contract expire, and the station falls into disrepair, it makes CP/EVgo/etc look bad - not the site operator.
That would be an ideal solution, protects teslas supercharger reputation and sets more realistic expectations for users.
I’ve watched pretty much all of outofspec YouTube cannonball race videos and the amount of EA network chargers that were just non operational for one reason or another is why I decided to stick with Tesla.

Reactions: israndy
To me, one of the biggest mistakes Chargepoint, EVgo, and the like have made was placing their name on the charging stations.
I think it's just ChargePoint that sells the stations. EVgo and EA own and operate. There are probably smaller groups that sell their stations, our local power company just bought a few Tritium DCFCs from the network Loop, and Loop has the contract to fix them for our power company.

Reactions: RTPEV