Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite a few in NorCal
1000010114.png

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
It will be interesting to see how the firing of the SC team impacts current deployment
It can only hurt the expansion of the network. Seems like a really bad decision. It was only a few months ago that Elon was touting the SC network as being a revenue generator and how it would be a major company if it was a stand alone business. And yet now all those people are disposable? Makes no sense, especially since all the other North American EV sellers have capitulated and committed to using the NACS.

Are you implying it's the construction crews that got the ax? I would think more those that work in property acquisition, and those that do plans for the supercharger station, maybe some that build the Superchargers there in NY. But it seems like it was an attempt to remove a log jam of production, they really don't come very fast and furious, or to do a big cut in salaries, maybe then hire a new staff at a cheaper rate, hell I'd take that job. Keeping Superchargers safe and happy would be an awesome mission.

Are you implying it's the construction crews that got the ax? I would think more those that work in property acquisition, and those that do plans for the supercharger station, maybe some that build the Superchargers there in NY. But it seems like it was an attempt to remove a log jam of production, they really don't come very fast and furious, or to do a big cut in salaries, maybe then hire a new staff at a cheaper rate, hell I'd take that job.
i dunno, its just a guess. if its me id never want to work for tesla, and im kinda not really happy on the amount of money ive spent on their products because of stuff like this, yet i still keep buying their *sugar*. ugh.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Let's remember that the entire autopilot/FSD team has been fired at least twice, and yet Tesla continues to make progress in that area. It's not exactly a great (or even ethical?) way to treat employees, but I wouldn't expect it to slow Tesla down that much as a company.
Fair point, but the complete elimination of Supercharger admin personnel is different because of the negative publicity generated and the anxiety it is producing among Tesla owners and potential buyers (Today all my Tesla friends are emailing me asking what the heck is going on). A major obstacle for many potential buyers is an inability to charge where they live (condo owners, people without garages, renters, etc.) and if they read that Tesla appears to be cutting back on Supercharger buildouts that is a problem!

A properly run company would manage these mass layoffs better and have a public relations department that could reassure anxious owners and potential buyers that Tesla had a plan and the Supercharger network would continue to expand. But Tesla doesn’t do that because Elon doesn’t believe in effective communication and projecting an image of stability and a commitment to customer service and support. He used to, but since becoming one of the richest people in the world he’s changed, and for the worse. Now his irresponsible behavior on X is turning people away from Tesla and the Tesla BOD does nothing to restrain him, instead they indulge him or just close their eyes and enjoy their massive salaries.

I used to be a supporter and long TSLA. Not any more.

My guess is they are going to shift to supplying hardware and service/ maintenance contracts for superchargers and let owner operators happen similar to gas stations.
this is what makes me worry about my fusc, maybe newer upcoming superchargers i wont have free supercharging anymore because they wont be tesla owned. luckily theres a pretty extensive network to get me almost anywhere, but it wont get me everywhere.

My guess is they are going to shift to supplying hardware and service/ maintenance contracts for superchargers and let owner operators happen similar to gas stations.
Perhaps...and I would be happy to see Tesla start moving in that direction (both with respect to Superchargers, but also sales/service centers -- I think the scale of what they are trying to become somewhat demands it).

But to do so so dramatically and completely boggles my mind, particularly at this critical stage now that they are opening up the network to other makes. I have to think there is some kind of plan we just don't know about yet, but I certainly can't figure it out.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
My understanding is that the folks laid off were doing all the back office work to acquire/negotiate properties, plan, engineer, get permits , coordinate with utilities, etc. Actual SC build has always been outsourced as far as I know.
There were definitely some Tesla employees on the ground though. They even have cars that say Tesla Supercharger on them. They also performed maintenance on the chargers. Not sure if they got fired.

Reactions: Zorg
That would be yet another bad decision in a series of bad decisions lately.

Tesla supercharger is awesome mainly because of its reliability, if Tesla moves toward allowing 3rd parties to purchase them, it’ll turn into another Electrified America network, EA is notorious for being unreliable because some individual owners of the stations do not care about maintenance or any repairs once they’re installed.

My understanding is that the folks laid off were doing all the back office work to acquire/negotiate properties, plan, engineer, get permits , coordinate with utilities, etc.
All those functions seem critical to expanding the Supercharger network. Could they be outsourced? I suppose so, but I have difficulty envisioning how that approach could be cheaper or more efficient.
Actual SC build has always been outsourced as far as I know.
Agreed.