Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just emailed Bill Dodd the outgoing county supervisor asking what he might know. He was active in the extension of Devlin Rd announced at the beginning of the year. I also asked him if this was part of some larger development. He's a good guy and friend so expect he'll respond.

I took a drive out there just now. I doubt it will be a the 221 Devlin Road address. That's the location of the Allied Propane business, but it's way away from any other businesses. Not a bad idea since the site features a propane tank the size of a house. The permit application shows two sites, 221 Devlin Road and on the NW corner of Devlin Road and Airport Blvd. Not a lot to do around there either, but the area is under intense development right now, so there will likely be at least one place to eat. The rest of the development consist of various wine related warehouses and businesses. It's far away from the tourist parts of Napa Valley, a popular place to put a bottling line and truck cheap wine in from the Central Valley and put "Bottled in Napa Valley" on the label.

NapaBill: I guess everyone around here know Bill Dodd. He's in my Rotary Club.

I've not heard or seen any evidence of a location. The Home Depot/Target parking lot is very active and can't believe they'd try and shoehorn a SC in there. Behind that is new theater complex that would seem more likely. Also, the Factory Outlets don't have much room for a SC site. And anything upvalley from there gets rather pricey.

Take a look at Second Los Angeles Supercharger location? - Page 3. That is about the best estimate you can get from the Tesla fuzzy dots. If you believe that analysts, then the Napa Supercharger will be somewhere on the south side of town, maybe between the center of the town of Napa and the Napa Airport.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I should have kept reading the thread before posting...

Found it! Napa County Permit

P14-00339

Project Description:

Tesla Motors - Allied Clean Fuel
Very Minor Modification
Eight (8) electric vehicle charging station with a 15' high solar canopy over charging stations

Legal Description:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]PCL 2 MAP NO 3820 14P/M48 AVIG ESMT 1745/469 TRA=1743/092 NSD SWR ESMT=1992-000463 PG&E ESMT=1803/534[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's south of Napa near the intersection of Devlin Road and Airport Blvd. Looks like it's still being reviewed by our local bureaucracy.[/FONT]

Nice. Here it is on Google Maps: Devlin Rd & Airport Blvd, Napa, CA 94558 - Google Maps

Devlin Rd & Airport Blvd area would be a great spot (except maybe current food & shops) as it is on the way to Napa & Calistoga weather you are headed north on I-80 & take the Hwy 29 exit (uhg - lots of lights) or wait and take the Hwy 12 exit.
If you are headed north on I-680, take I-80East for a couple hundred feet, and then take the Hwy 12 exit. Enjoy Napa and Calistoga and stop again on the way home. If you stay overnight, many hotels, resorts, wineries now have HPWCs for guests.
Now there is plenty of battery reserve to keep the AC on and your wine purchases chilled as you taste and buy throughout the valley. Awesome!

I have to say, it seems like the northern outskirts of Bay Area having five-six Superchargers is an overkill. I know there are several factors that influence the locations, and not everything is in our minds when we wish for stuff, but let's propose to Tesla to have Superchargers along 101 northward from the Bay Area. Several of us have been mentioning it here. Not sure if it's in Tesla's radar already.

That's right by the Chardonnay Golf Club. That location was at the outer end of my comfortable round-trip range from home so now I know I can top off there if the P85D I'm getting next quarter has less actual range.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, it seems like the northern outskirts of Bay Area having five-six Superchargers is an overkill.

Maybe this is some insight into a Tesla long term strategy of allowing Model S owners to travel without having to plan charging. ICE drivers usually don't have to plan for the availability of gas stations. But most would say that there are other higher priority supercharger locations to enable long distance Model S travel, both in CA and the rest of the country.

I agree on having something up 101 and not 5, do not know why you need Napa. If you want to go to the north and toward the coast it is not possible. Would love to drive up the coast to Oregon but not possible at this point.

If you are headed up from the South Bay (San Jose, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Gilroy), to drive to Napa & Calistoga, and make a tour of some wineries along the Silverado Trail, you have to find a Blink, a NEMA14-50, or a HPWC for a few hours to make it home or back to the Fremont SC. I've done it a few times; I belong to a couple wine clubs and really love going up there. A wine trip is a dead end destination round trip, and it is tough. Vacaville is too far east to be practical for a South Bay to Napa/Calistoga trip.
If they put a Supercharger on 101 at Geyserville, that would connect Calistoga to 101 via Hwy 128. And Geyserville is the right distance north of the new Supercharger in Petaluma. So I am loving this new Napa SC!

And I agree about building out the more coastal 101 route. We have friends we'd like to see out that way just as soon as the SC's are ready.

T
If you are headed up from the South Bay (San Jose, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Gilroy), to drive to Napa & Calistoga, and make a tour of some wineries along the Silverado Trail, you have to find a Blink, a NEMA14-50, or a HPWC for a few hours to make it home or back to the Fremont SC. I've done it a few times; I belong to a couple wine clubs and really love going up there. A wine trip is a dead end destination round trip, and it is tough. Vacaville is too far east to be practical for a South Bay to Napa/Calistoga trip.
If they put a Supercharger on 101 at Geyserville, that would connect Calistoga to 101 via Hwy 128. And Geyserville is the right distance north of the new Supercharger in Petaluma. So I am loving this new Napa SC!

And I agree about building out the more coastal 101 route. We have friends we'd like to see out that way just as soon as the SC's are ready.
That is your problem, you need to go to the real wine country. If you came to Sonoma you could supercharge in Petaluma and do some tasting in Alexander Valley or Dry Creek, anyway I hear they make auto parts in Napa!

I just emailed Bill Dodd the outgoing county supervisor asking what he might know. He was active in the extension of Devlin Rd announced at the beginning of the year. I also asked him if this was part of some larger development. He's a good guy and friend so expect he'll respond.
Prompt reply received this am:
"Hi Bill:

Yes, there is a Tesla Supercharger station that will be going in at that location. The estimated time of opening is about one year from now. The station is part of a larger alternative fueling station that will be built on that property. If you have further questions about the project, you can call the planning department at 253-4417.

Sincerely,

Michael Karath
Staff Assistant BOS
Napa County
Office: 707.299.1477
Cell: 707.637.7890
[email protected]"

Haha you guys are hilarious. Merrill, count me in for some Zin tasting at Ravenwood!

Back on topic for a second: has anyone recently stopped by the Petaluma SC to check on progress, now that the weather cleared up and is staying dry for a while?

Haha you guys are hilarious. Merrill, count me in for some Zin tasting at Ravenwood!

Back on topic for a second: has anyone recently stopped by the Petaluma SC to check on progress, now that the weather cleared up and is staying dry for a while?
I was there Saturday and had not changed since the previous Saturday, to wet and with the holidays not sure how much work will be done.

Zex, starting in Humboldt on a full charge, how far south can you get on the 101 can you get before you have to charge, and where do you stop to do so?

The farthest that I have done was 242mi from Benbow to Magdalena/280. That trip ended @~35mph for 5mi or so on 280 (with 2mi at 'charge now'). those hills from SF down to LAH suck!
I think was driving ~60-62 in the 65 areas and close to 55 in the 55 zones.
Tomorrow I need to try and get down there before 3pm so I plan on leaving early, having breakfast at Benbow and charging for ~1hr then heading to Hopland Solar Living Institute for maybe soup and/or salad at the pizza place and charging for at least 1 1/2 hr.
I will have 2 big dogs w/me and it looks like it will be raining tomorrow so it should be 'fun'
I also plan on trying to make cookies tonight to drop by San Rafael Service so I guess I could leave Hopland early and figure what I need at San Rafael
these are my guidance #'s
Home - Benbow - 25kWhr
Benbow - Hopland - 30-35 kWhr
Hopland - LAH - 45 kWhr

the best I have done it in is 95 kWhr total. I think 100-105 is what I 'need' but that is driving like a turtle

probably should be a 120-130kWhr trip driving like I'd want to

..and I am very curious to see if I can get to the Petaluma SC 230 miles away.. I know I 'can', just at what speed?

Last edited: