Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ecarfan, the Costa Mesa dealership is up-the-street from the Costa Mesa Service Center (approx. 200 yards). The sales person's title there is "Owner Advisor".
IT'S NOT A DEALERSHIP!!! Tesla has company owned stores. It does not sell through dealerships. You wouldn't call an Apple Store an Apple dealership, would you?
Sorry for the rant, but selling directly rather than through dealerships is one of the best things about Tesla. Owners should careful about the terminology.

Was at the Costa Mesa dealership today and talking to my owner's advisor, he said Tesla is setting up a SC station in Santa Ana. Any body else hear anything about it?!?

I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago claiming he had a friend on the inside telling him they were building a supercharger station off the 5 fwy at the Santa Ana Mainplace mall. Of course, this information is unconfirmed by Tesla so take it with a grain of salt. They could just be looking at the site, there's no way of knowing for sure if it's the final choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi ecarfan, the Costa Mesa dealership is up-the-street from the Costa Mesa Service Center (approx. 200 yards). The sales person's title there is "Owner Advisor".

I think he's referring to the Tesla delivery center. There are two facilities in Costa Mesa on Pullman St. One is a Tesla Service Center/Store, and the other is a delivery center where owners can pick up their new cars. It used to be a Service Center, but they outgrew the building and they're now using exclusively for customer deliveries.

IT'S NOT A DEALERSHIP!!! Tesla has company owned stores. It does not sell through dealerships. You wouldn't call an Apple Store an Apple dealership, would you?
Sorry for the rant, but selling directly rather than through dealerships is one of the best things about Tesla. Owners should careful about the terminology.

Sorry TexasEV, it was the owner advisor who used the word "dealership" with me throughout our conversation. Not to offend anyone.

Sorry TexasEV, it was the owner advisor who used the word "dealership" with me throughout our conversation. Not to offend anyone.
If that is the case, that Tesla employee needs to go through his company training program again. I have never had a conversation with a Tesla employee where the Tesla showrooms and service centers were referred to as "dealerships", because that is not what they are, and Tesla corporate never describes them that way. I recommend you stop using that term, it is incorrect.
Regarding a rumored Supercharger at the Main Place Mall in Santa Ana, at the moment I am located just a few miles from there. I will go cruise the mall parking areas and see if anything is going on. I doubt it, but with Tesla you never know, Superchargers sometimes pop up unexpectedly, as the Burbank location did earlier this year.

Last edited:
If that is the case, that Tesla employee needs to go through his company training program again. I have never had a conversation with a Tesla employee where the Tesla showrooms and service centers were referred to as "dealerships", because that is not what they are, and Tesla corporate never describes them that way. I recommend you stop using that term, it is incorrect.
Regarding a rumored Supercharger at the Main Place Mall in Santa Ana, at the moment I am located just a few miles from there. I will go cruise the mall parking areas and see if anything is going on. I doubt it, but with Tesla you never know, Superchargers sometimes pop up unexpected, as the Burbank location did earlier this year.

Sorry for the noob mistake, will not use that term in the future

I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago claiming he had a friend on the inside telling him they were building a supercharger station off the 5 fwy at the Santa Ana Mainplace mall. Of course, this information is unconfirmed by Tesla so take it with a grain of salt.
I drove through all the parking areas at the Main Place mall in north Santa Ana. No sign of any Supercharger construction.
There is a single EV charging station on the ground level in the rear parking structure. It's on Plugshare. I didn't bother to stop and check it out.
For now I'm treating the idea of a Supercharger in Santa Ana as a rumor until it's confirmed by a building permit or actual construction.

Sorry for the noob mistake, will not use that term in the future
No worries, it's a common error, but an important one to correct publicly so potential Tesla owners do not get confused and think that Tesla offers the same lousy "dealership" experience that all other car manufacturers provide. The Tesla buying experience is completely different, and far better.

Mainplace mall wouldn't be a bad spot for a supercharger - decent places to eat and lots of things to do. There's also a little plaza right across the street near the chipotle/habit burger/Starbucks that would be a bit less crowded.

I think mall location is a mistake. From seeing certain places that have lots of venue, ppl tends to abuse the charging. Plug in and leave for a nice long hour ur two dinner. Or go shopping, etc.

I think place it at Starbuck's locations are best. Just enough for restroom and coffee to kill 30 mins of charge need

lol!!!

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I think mall location is a mistake. From seeing certain places that have lots of venue, ppl tends to abuse the charging. Plug in and leave for a nice long hour ur two dinner. Or go shopping, etc.

I think place it at Starbuck's locations are best. Just enough for restroom and coffee to kill 30 mins of charge need

lol!!!

I suspect the main thing to avoid would be a location with a grocery store or Costco which locals go to every week.

lol!!!
I think an hour to have dinner is absolutely fine. I will never question that. 2 hours is way too much, and disrespectful of others

Only if it needs an hour to fully charge. But if already fully charge and take up space, esp when the parking lot is busy... That is not cool too
Don't get me wrong. I think a car that is fully charged should not remained parked. OTOH, people have things to do, and TM specifically stated that SC's are placed in locations that are convenient to shops and restaurants. Thinking of just one of the places I charged, Barstow, I plugged in, then went to Chili's for a meal. If I was done in 40 minutes, while still in the middle of my meal, should I have run out and moved my car when I would be done in another 20 minutes? Well, yes I would if there are others waiting. But, that is me (and most of us here it seems). No matter what, I think there should be a 60 minute limit at every single SC across the country. That would settle a lot of problems.

If I was done in 40 minutes, while still in the middle of my meal, should I have run out and moved my car when I would be done in another 20 minutes? Well, yes I would if there are others waiting. But, that is me (and most of us here it seems).
I've done this at Harris Ranch (gotten up and moved the car mid meal before it was at 90%, because there was a line).

You can also leave a note on the dash with a phone number to call if someone needs the spot and none are available. That works well when there was no line when you arrived, and you cannot see the Super Chargers from the restaurant to check if one has formed.

- - - Updated - - -

No matter what, I think there should be a 60 minute limit at every single SC across the country. That would settle a lot of problems.
60 minute is not enough to safely get to the next Super Charger in some cases. Yesterday I needed an hour and twenty minutes just to get to 240 RM (starting at 30RM), which was cutting the 192 mile trip from GardnerVille SC to Lone Pine SC fairly close (it was less the 30 degrees outside)

I've done this at Harris Ranch (gotten up and moved the car mid meal before it was at 90%, because there was a line).

You can also leave a note on the dash with a phone number to call if someone needs the spot and none are available. That works well when there was no line when you arrived, and you cannot see the Super Chargers from the restaurant to check if one has formed.

- - - Updated - - -

60 minute is not enough to safely get to the next Super Charger in some cases. Yesterday I needed an hour and twenty minutes just to get to 240 RM (starting at 30RM), which was cutting the 192 mile trip from GardnerVille SC to Lone Pine SC fairly close (it was less the 30 degrees outside)
Right on both counts. I do have a card that I could leave on my dash, but haven't needed it so far.
As far as the 60 minutes goes, perhaps 90 minutes is better. That is because sometimes the charger is slow, or you are further down the queue for energy.

Thinking of just one of the places I charged, Barstow, I plugged in, then went to Chili's for a meal. If I was done in 40 minutes, while still in the middle of my meal, should I have run out and moved my car when I would be done in another 20 minutes? Well, yes I would if there are others waiting.
People cannot be expected to continuously monitor the Superchargers while dining or shopping. However, there is a simple solution. Whenever all operative charging stalls are occupied, Tesla could automatically message all owners whose cars have finished charging. Ideally, perhaps sensors could be employed to catch cases where some stalls are ICEd or occupied by cars that aren't plugged in. Of course, Tesla would have data on owners who repeatedly fail to move their cars, and could pester them with reminders if appropriate. Some owners might have legitimate reasons to be slow in returning, so such a system should err on the side of grace.

People cannot be expected to continuously monitor the Superchargers while dining or shopping. However, there is a simple solution. Whenever all operative charging stalls are occupied, Tesla could automatically message all owners whose cars have finished charging. Ideally, perhaps sensors could be employed to catch cases where some stalls are ICEd or occupied by cars that aren't plugged in. Of course, Tesla would have data on owners who repeatedly fail to move their cars, and could pester them with reminders if appropriate. Some owners might have legitimate reasons to be slow in returning, so such a system should err on the side of grace.

If you have app, it tells you when you're close to full in your SC session...

Isn't that adequate to "stop what you're doing" and head back and move the car?

I use that plus the EV Card from Pluginamerica.org or the Take Charge and Go EV hang tags.

Last edited:
If you have app, it tells you when you're close to full in your SC session...

Isn't that adequate to "stop what you're doing" and head back and move the car?
Yes, and that is very considerate of you, but many people would prefer not to interrupt their meal, etc., if it's not necessary.
I use that plus the EV Card from Pluginamerica.org (link to follow) or the EV hang tags (link to follow).
That is great, and more people should follow your lead, but not everyone is going to remember to do that consistently, or want to leave a personal phone number in public view.

Yes, and that is very considerate of you, but many people would prefer not to interrupt their meal, etc., if it's not necessary.

That is great, and more people should follow your lead, but not everyone is going to remember to do that consistently, or want to leave a personal phone number in public view.

Well... There are plenty of Apps that can provide one with a "disposable" text/phone number (Textfree on iOS or use a Google Voice number or something like that) that is always an easy option.

Frankly, SCs are typically too fast for a sit-down meal, that I expect to have to move the car 'cause it's done before dessert is even delivered. In many places, the restaurant is adjacent (as in Harris Ranch or the Applebee's at Hays, KS, or the many Arby's that host SCs, (Wichita, KS or Limon, CO))