Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Disabled while on trip [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe. Tesla's internal IT systems are terrible, and most employees will tell you anything to get you off the phone and out of their hair. We'll see if when he calls when he gets to the Super Charger if he'll really be able to charge with their approval. I would give it a 50/50 that will go smooth at every stop.

(mod note: edited out quoted offending comment)

What was edited out, and why was it "offending?" I don't see that you made any change my original message, or that there was anything offensive about it.

Isn't the card on record also used for Service Center visits?

In US, anyway, it won’t be charged for service without authorization and, if I recall my last experience correctly, they still required me to confirm the info on the card because they’re not allowed to assume the card on file belongs to the person who contracted the service. Seemed a little unnecessary but maybe that’s why they’ve added 2FA (since then).

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Turned out I needed to update cc because card on file w/Tesla had expired. Supercharger allowed me to charge prior to updating card (only tried 1 time).

Be that as it may, what you describe is scary as hell for all of us on the road, far from home. I suggest you consider a CHAdeMO adapter.

I borrowed a friend's to see how fast DC charging compares with a supercharger. It's not bad and provides a layer of insurance for the situation you found yourself in.

If you log into your Tesla account online can you see the other car?? I’m just curious as to how others might possibly head this off at the pass by periodically checking our accounts to make sure no ghost vehicles show up.

No, the only thing that shows on our account on our end is our Model 3, solar panels, and then Telsa shop history.

We made it home today but the error is still there. We contacted Tesla support by phone while about 15 minutes away from the supercharger thinking they could get the session approved by the time we got there but they didn't. We ended up wasting another 10-15 minutes at the supercharger waiting for a supervisor to approve it. The lady we spoke to today stated they no longer see another vehicle on the account, but none of our supercharger uses since Saturday show up on our account. The error stating Supercharging unavailable and to add a card still shows on our vehicle. I just logged in at our home desktop to see if maybe the "blue button" to pay unpaid charges shows up, but nothing. Looks like we will end up calling them again after Thanksgiving to try to get this cleared up......:mad:

No, the only thing that shows on our account on our end is our Model 3, solar panels, and then Telsa shop history.

We made it home today but the error is still there. We contacted Tesla support by phone while about 15 minutes away from the supercharger thinking they could get the session approved by the time we got there but they didn't. We ended up wasting another 10-15 minutes at the supercharger waiting for a supervisor to approve it. The lady we spoke to today stated they no longer see another vehicle on the account, but none of our supercharger uses since Saturday show up on our account. The error stating Supercharging unavailable and to add a card still shows on our vehicle. I just logged in at our home desktop to see if maybe the "blue button" to pay unpaid charges shows up, but nothing. Looks like we will end up calling them again after Thanksgiving to try to get this cleared up......:mad:
Glad you are home! I was getting exhausted just reading this thread while relaxing at my chalet and waiting for the snow to stop.

Thanks for circling back and letting those following along know you got home ok.

I hope this gets resolved. Even more so, I hope you find the specific cause and resolution, so that others can benefit from your experience.

I called tesla yesterday as it's still showing payment method required on the charging tab. They said everything shows good on their end and recommend me using one to see if it works. I haven't had the chance yet to see but I'm guessing nothing has changed. None of the charges on our trip show on the history and no pay button shows either.

UPDATE 12/20/20:

Tesla contacted me via email on 12/15/20 and stated they were a manager with support. They stated that the issue has been resolved and moving forward supercharger trips should work. They stated the charges from our trip will not be charged to us for our troubles.

We were able to test if superchargers worked again this morning and it appears its fixed. The message showing payment method required on the charging tab is gone, and the charger did work. So in the end it was something on the Tesla side that they needed to fix. It was a good learning lesson but scary being away from home and not being able to just charge when needed. They definitely need to be able to fix this issue a lot quicker then they did but I applaud them for following up and getting it fixed in the end.

UPDATE 12/20/20:

Tesla contacted me via email on 12/15/20 and stated they were a manager with support. They stated that the issue has been resolved and moving forward supercharger trips should work. They stated the charges from our trip will not be charged to us for our troubles.

We were able to test if superchargers worked again this morning and it appears its fixed. The message showing payment method required on the charging tab is gone, and the charger did work. So in the end it was something on the Tesla side that they needed to fix. It was a good learning lesson but scary being away from home and not being able to just charge when needed. They definitely need to be able to fix this issue a lot quicker then they did but I applaud them for following up and getting it fixed in the end.
Thanks for the update. Pity Tesla wasn't able to fix their problem more quickly.

I can understand it being annoying to have to call Tesla before each supercharging session. And an inconvenience if you had to wait. But I don't get "scary". It never got worse than having to call first, did it?

Thanks for the update. Pity Tesla wasn't able to fix their problem more quickly.

I can understand it being annoying to have to call Tesla before each supercharging session. And an inconvenience if you had to wait. But I don't get "scary". It never got worse than having to call first, did it?

I agree it's scary because, given Tesla's track record for poor customer service and how their internal IT systems are a dumpster fire, you just don't know if you're going to be able to super charge at the next stop and you're far away from home.

I agree it's scary because, given Tesla's track record for poor customer service and how their internal IT systems are a dumpster fire, you just don't know if you're going to be able to super charge at the next stop and you're far away from home.
Agreed. "Scary" is a perfectly appropriate term. What if no one at Tesla answers, or is willing to turn on charging because they are too dumb? Sure, it could end up being as "annoying" as a few hours lost, but it could also be something worse, just as needing medical attention and unable to drive to a local hospital, or getting home in time to help someone.

Glad you made it home and account issue on their end was fixed. Also nice to see you were comped for the supercharging at least.

I have twice had an issue “filling up”. First time was on vacation using rental car (an ice but not important). Card got rejected. cc company noticed suddenly my card was being used in a different State from where I live. I didn't realize I should alert my cc company of a trip out of state but then I wasn’t someone who traveled much so guess glad they were being security proactive. I did have airline tickets (from the area I lived) and a car rental on same card but lesson learned. When my husband was traveling out of country, he called cc company ahead of time to have it noted on his account he would be making the trip to avoid any unwelcomed surprises when charging purchases.

The second time was with my Model 3. Had supercharged several times with my new car and no problems. Was with my husband and got the message on a subsequent trip. Knew my cc account was fine so was annoyed and puzzled what the issue was. My husband ended up adding his cc to my account and was able to supercharge then. Turns out, like someone else mentioned happened to then, the reason was my cc had expired and I hadn’t updated my account with the new expiration date. Duh!

Mentioning above as things to think about if you do get the can’t charge message. Probably more common reasons than your Tesla account being mixed up with someone elses.