Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So people who agree with you get a "Nice post", and people who disagree with you are told that they don't understand you, and need schooling. That's not agree to disagree. You actually have to perform the "agree" part, of "agree to disagree".

And honestly if there is anybody on this thread that don't understand your position by now, they should seek medical attention. You don't need to keep re-iterating it.

How about instead bringing some facts to the discussion to support your position?

Equally, why don't you address those who agree with me? Instead you address mostly me or people who agree with you?

It is only natural.

Equally, why don't you address those who agree with me? Instead you address mostly me or people who agree with you?

You mean, as in my exact previous post prior to that reply?

Nothing personally. Just law of large numbers. Most posts in this thread either came from you, or agree with me.

So if I just randomly reply to some percentage of posts on this thread, that's how they'll be distributed as well.

You mean, as in the exact previous post prior to that reply?

Nothing personally. Just law of large numbers. Most posts in this thread either came from you, or agree with me.

So if I just randomly reply to some percentage of posts on this thread, that's how they'll be distributed as well.

If you choose to see the thread that way, I guess it is very hard for me to show any support for my point of view. Therefore I most conclude my chances of being heard are quite slim.

There is only so much effort one wants to or can use on a given topic. :) That's OK, all good. We agree to disagree.

As charging etiquette, I agree locals or more to the point any kind of non-essentials move over if full.

How do you know they all weren't long-distance charging, though?

electric-vehicle-charging-hang-tag.jpg

The first ever Electric Vehicle Charging Etiquette Hang Tag EVSticker.com

...2) AT&T is throttling people that reaches a certain "limit" (even though it is unlimited), whereas Tesla is not nor implying they will do so. If you do long distance drives even a 100k miles a year, Tesla is not saying that is a problem...

There was some suggestion that they may have 'experimented' with lowering the charge rate for cars seen to be doing chronic local charging.

There was some suggestion that they may have 'experimented' with lowering the charge rate for cars seen to be doing chronic local charging.
Assuming that is true (I haven't heard of Tesla throttling and officially Tesla is only saying they will be sending notices), that's only for local charging (conditions of use). That has nothing to do with a charge limit (throttling after you reach x-amount of miles). So it's not a one-to-one comparison. The FTC also said it's okay to throttle data because of congestion (whereas AT&T throttled once you reach a certain limit regardless of congestion), so that is another factor (meaning you can throttle if there is a reasonable explanation why you did so).

Assuming that is true (I haven't heard of Tesla throttling and officially Tesla is only saying they will be sending notices), that's only for local charging (conditions of use). That has nothing to do with a charge limit (throttling after you reach x-amount of miles). So it's not a one-to-one comparison. The FTC also said it's okay to throttle data because of congestion (whereas AT&T throttled once you reach a certain limit regardless of congestion), so that is another factor (meaning you can throttle if there is a reasonable explanation why you did so).

Is there a conditions of use specifying local charging is not allowed for Supercharging? Anyone have a quote?

This whole situation / story keeps reminding me of the AT&T Unlimited data plans where they decided certain users were "abusing" their plan, and so slowed their datarates in response...

ATT’s unlimited data throttling to be punished with $100 million fine | Ars Technica

ATT still throttles “unlimited dataâ€￾—even when network not congested | Ars Technica

Avoid reduced speeds with unlimited data plans - AT&T Wireless

So they say "unlimited data", but then they say "data allowance"... If you exceed your "allowance" they will find ways to "ding you".
Suggesting you use Wi-Fi whenever you can is analogous to Tesla suggesting they would prefer if you charged at home instead of at the Supercharger.

Of course, just yesterday, the FCC fined AT&T $100,000,000 for this practice.

I personally doubt that Tesla would ever do this. They just want to remind people to be cool. The problem with that idea is that most (but maybe not all) people who intentionally want to take advantage of the free peanuts at the bar will continue to do so.
Also, throttling customers would only make congestion at urban SC's all that much worse. Bad for both Tesla and customers in the long run. It just won't happen.

Is there a conditions of use specifying local charging is not allowed for Supercharging? Anyone have a quote?
Again with the "is not allowed" thing (see the free peanuts analogy). Tesla has not say local charging is not allowed. Tesla has however said superchargers are primarily for long distance charging and made an explicit exception about exclusive local charging use for those without home charging.

No one thinks it is reasonable to ban all local charging (esp. occasional use). However, many feel it is completely reasonable to limit those that do local charging exclusively on superchargers when they have home charging (although to be clear Tesla has not done so yet, they are only sending notices; so this talk is all theoretical). And legally, that doesn't seem to be a problem either judging by how the FTC does it for throttling (Tesla can make an argument along the lines of congestion), and from what I see in false advertising claims (the poll numbers so far on people's impression of Tesla's advertising on this matter).

I should put it out there that I am not advocating throttling. Throttling can actually make congestion worse if you get a stubborn owner that stays regardless of throttling. I think notices are fine and that we as a community should be discouraging people from doing local charging in this way (rather than pushing them to do so). That's the main reason why I'm still commenting here as I don't think encouraging an expectation that this is totally fine is good for the future of the supercharger network and the Tesla owner community as a whole.

Last edited:
Again with the "is not allowed" thing (see the free peanuts analogy). Tesla has not say local charging is not allowed. Tesla has however said superchargers are primarily for long distance charging and made an explicit exception about exclusive local charging use for those without home charging.

No one thinks it is reasonable to ban all local charging (esp. occasional use). However, many feel is completely reasonable to limit those that do local charging exclusively on superchargers when they have home charging (although to be clear Tesla has not done so yet, they are only sending notices; so this talk is all theoretical). And legally, that doesn't seem to be a problem either judging by how the FTC does it for throttling (Tesla can make an argument along the lines of congestion), and from what I see in false advertising claims.

I should put it out there that I am not advocating throttling. I think notices are fine and that we as a community should be discouraging people from doing so (rather than pushing them to do so). Throttling can actually make congestion worse if you get a stubborn owner that stays the station regardless of throttling.

By the way, I think banning local Supercharging would be perfectly fine. I just don't think it would be fine for existing cars sold under a different promise. It needs to be done clearly, for new contracts and I'm cool with that.

Maybe it should be done. I wouldn't mind. I'd expect my future Model X to have this limitation, then.

This is one of those many times I'm happy that I'm not in California. On my recent 18-supercharger round trip with the family, 13 times we pulled into a completely empty supercharger, 4 times where one car had arrived prior to us, and 1 time where two cars were there. The maximum usage I observed was 4 of 8 stalls taken at the Turkey Lake supercharger - all three cars arrived after me.

^^^^ ME too! (That said, just because it's not in my back yard yet doesn't mean I'm ok with it being in other people's backyard. I think once it's in ANYBODY's backyard I want to stop it or eventually it will be in my backyard.)

I think most people are concerned that as car sales ramp that congestion will come to THEIR neighborhood and be exacerbated by people "opportunity" charging rather than by people "necessity" charging. Basically a new twist on range anxiety - "what if I get there and I can't charge?"

I don't think people believe small percentage of folks grabbing peanuts will break Tesla's back financially. It is about maintaining awesome customer experience, and having the customer base engaged in assuring it.

AR:
Do you feel Tesla owners should NOT be engaged in assuring other owners have an awesome customer experience?
Do you feel EV owners should do nothing to accelerate movement along the EV adopter curve towards Early Majority?