Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging free forever or not? (Out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drumheller

Jan 20, 2016
Arizona
Zoom hasn't filed its official 10-Q yet. I think that has to happen first.

Yes, at 80,000 lbs by Federal Law, but can be even lower in some places.

I believe any vehicle purchased with free Supercharging for life still gets Supercharging for life if it's still owned by the original owner. That new vehicles don't have this or even that used vehicles sold lose this is not a promise reneged in my view.

I don't have a link handy but I recall musk saying superchargering was free and always would be, implying for all tesla cars. I understand the change but this is an example of musk saying something and changing it.

I don't have a link handy but I recall musk saying superchargering was free and always would be, implying for all tesla cars. I understand the change but this is an example of musk saying something and changing it.
Never heard of that. I think it's likely you are wrong. Actually, I think it's certain you are wrong.

I believe any vehicle purchased with free Supercharging for life still gets Supercharging for life if it's still owned by the original owner. That new vehicles don't have this or even that used vehicles sold lose this is not a promise reneged in my view.

Lifetime free supercharging for at least some cars stays with the vehicle for life of the vehicle. But I dont think that there are any cars with Autopilot 2.0+ hardware have free supercharging. For many old Model S's this is a factor in keeping the resale price high.

Reactions: jpsgoneev and MC3OZ
Lifetime free supercharging for at least some cars stays with the vehicle for life of the vehicle. But I dont think that there are any cars with Autopilot 2.0+ hardware have free supercharging. For many old Model S's this is a factor in keeping the resale price high.
For newer vehicles, lifetime free supercharging goes away upon change of ownership. My 2017 Model S with AP2.5 originally and now AP3 has lifetime free supercharging.

That was before Robotaxi/FSD was a goal (as well as 250kw that makes supercharging as your only charging possible). RT and 300,000 miles a year changes the “free for life” calculation by a lot.

To change is the basic tenant of human life.
If you don’t change you become the next GMFORDCHRYSLERBMWDIAMLERVWHONDATOYOTA

So , stop griping about freebies.

He did say that when the supercharger network was just starting out. But it was meant for long distance travel. Sadly many people abuse it. (Some May not have a choice I guess.)

"Superchargers will always be free. They will be free forever."

The Engadget Interview: Tesla's Elon Musk promises more Superchargers, better service, cheaper EVs that don't suck
I don't believe it. No context. It's the caption for a photo. In the article it says: "Over the course of our conversation, Musk (who earlier co-founded PayPal and who also heads up SpaceX) went on the record calling journalists who didn't understand the benefits of leases 'dumbasses' and pledged that use of the company's Supercharger stations will always, forever and ever, be free." I believe that maybe he said it would always be free for the cars they were selling then (which it was and is), but not for anything they might sell in the future. That would be too stupid.

Disagreed with you because Musk has never said supercharging was free and always will be for every Tesla car. I challenge you to find a link where he says so.

Never heard of that. I think it's likely you are wrong. Actually, I think it's certain you are wrong.

He did say SC would always be free, I remember him saying it and then retracting (not officially retracting) and then going on as it it was never said. Nothing new for him actually but not sure why he ever made such a promise. The 3 sunk that ship. Let's also not forget free again on the S but not transferable then not free, etc, etc.

Last edited:
He did say SC would always be free, I remember him saying it and then retracting (not officially retracting) and then going on as it it was never said. Nothing new for him actually but not sure why he ever made such a promise. The 3 sunk that ship.

Well, this is why: He expected the rest of the auto industry to actually make EVs and not have Tesla carry the burden. He expected owners of Teslas not to abuse the SuperCharger Network. He expected other OEMs to partnership with Tesla on the SuperCharger Network thus taking on some of that cost burden. He expected to have the SuperChargers all under solar by now and might have accomplished that if some of the above things happened.

I can go on if you need me to.

Life is not static. It’s in a state of constant change. Best laid plans and all that. It behooves everyone to keep that in mind when criticizing anyone about having to change course. Certainly people should be held accountable for their words, but let’s be reasonable and sensible. Let’s remember context.

Well, this is why: He expected the rest of the auto industry to actually make EVs and not have Tesla carry the burden. He expected owners of Teslas not to abuse the SuperCharger Network. He expected other OEMs to partnership with Tesla on the SuperCharger Network thus taking on some of that cost burden. He expected to have the SuperChargers all under solar by now and might have accomplished that if some of the above things happened.

Life is not static. It’s in a state of constant change. Best laid plans and all that. It behooves everyone to keep that in mind when criticizing anyone about having to change course. Certainly people should be held accountable for their words, but let’s be reasonable and sensible. Let’s remember context.
I can say for sure: I bought a Model S in 2013. I sold that car to a friend in 2018. At that time I bought a new Model S. As of this date my friend is still getting free supercharging on the 2013 S. I am still getting free supercharging on my 2018 S.

If Musk is such a visionary then based on that logic he is a terrible business man because in what world do people not abuse free fuel? How does Tesla carry the charging burden for the rest of the industry? Last I checked Tesla has a proprietary connector. I knew when he said that it would not last long, most people did except him I suppose. People started abusing charging as soon as there was public charging and before he ever said that. Tesla still has one huge hole in the company they have not filled and when they do things will really get much better on the public perception side. Stay tuned:)

Reactions: Paul_SF

He did say that when the supercharger network was just starting out. But it was meant for long distance travel. Sadly many people abuse it. (Some May not have a choice I guess.)

"Superchargers will always be free. They will be free forever."

The Engadget Interview: Tesla's Elon Musk promises more Superchargers, better service, cheaper EVs that don't suck

Disagreed with you because Musk has never said supercharging was free and always will be for every Tesla car. I challenge you to find a link where he says so.

It was already posted. It was in the Engadget interview that was published April 5th, 2013

"Musk assures us that the company will meet its goal of 100 Supercharger stations, initially pegged for 2015, well earlier and that usage of those stations will "always be free." Always? "They will be free forever.""

I also recall seeing Elon stating it in a video I saw years ago but I haven't found that video again to link it here.

That wasn't implying that cars bought before a certain point in time would have free supercharging for life. It's clearly stated that the supercharging stations will be free forever.

I don't have an issue with the change. I didn't see "free forever" as sustainable. The issue I take is with the condescending attitude so often found in this thread against someone who dares to post a factual thing from the past that displays Elon Musk is human.

It lowers the value of this thread.

Reactions: JustMe and wtlloyd
Yes and it was and still is for all cars purchased before that announcement. A man of his word

That wasn't what he said. He said the supercharging stations would be "free forever". Change is fine. People here claiming it never happened because they don't want to believe it are why I'm pointing this out.

I don't believe it. No context. It's the caption for a photo. In the article it says: "Over the course of our conversation, Musk (who earlier co-founded PayPal and who also heads up SpaceX) went on the record calling journalists who didn't understand the benefits of leases 'dumbasses' and pledged that use of the company's Supercharger stations will always, forever and ever, be free." I believe that maybe he said it would always be free for the cars they were selling then (which it was and is), but not for anything they might sell in the future. That would be too stupid.

Tesla was a tiny company trying to survive. They were bending over backwards for car owners. The level of service I received when I first bought my Model S was outstanding. Today, it's almost impossible to get a human on the phone.

Again, the issue isn't that it changed. The issue is with the attitude found in this thread where if someone posts something that Elon said and later changed, that posted harvests the disagrees and is treated as if they are personally attacking Musk. That attitude harms the value of an investment thread where objectivity and facts are very useful.

Reactions: JRP3
If Musk is such a visionary then based on that logic he is a terrible business man because in what world do people not abuse free fuel? How does Tesla carry the charging burden for the rest of the industry? Last I checked Tesla has a proprietary connector. I knew when he said that it would not last long, most people did except him I suppose. People started abusing charging as soon as there was public charging and before he ever said that. Tesla still has one huge hole in the company they have not filled and when they do things will really get much better on the public perception side. Stay tuned:)

He’s not a terrible businessman; he under estimates the greed, the selfishness, the general nastiness and evil of the human race. He gives humans the benefit of the doubt. He assumes they’ll make the right choice, do the good/ethical/moral/right/logical/sensible thing. You have a different view of people.

That’s not a character flaw, btw. For either of you.

Yes, Tesla has a proprietary connector. Did you miss the part about expecting OEM partnerships? Tesla’s connector is the best. Why wouldn’t he expect others to get on board? And it’s not like Tesla didn’t try to get everyone on board to standardize the plug; they did. I specifically remember Elon and JB talking about that back in the day.

Last edited:
It was already posted. It was in the Engadget interview that was published April 5th, 2013

"Musk assures us that the company will meet its goal of 100 Supercharger stations, initially pegged for 2015, well earlier and that usage of those stations will "always be free." Always? "They will be free forever.""

I also recall seeing Elon stating it in a video I saw years ago but I haven't found that video again to link it here.

That wasn't implying that cars bought before a certain point in time would have free supercharging for life. It's clearly stated that the supercharging stations will be free forever.

I don't have an issue with the change. I didn't see "free forever" as sustainable. The issue I take is with the condescending attitude so often found in this thread against someone who dares to post a factual thing from the past that displays Elon Musk is human.

It lowers the value of this thread.

Most of us know Elon is human, and not perfect.

Most of us also know "Circumstances Change", and the more bold statements someone like Elon makes on the public record, the higher chance someone in future will point out the statement was not correct.

While he sometimes gets it wrong Elon is at least "authentic", and usually believes what he is saying at the time he says it.

While he rarely lies, he has to be selective about what information he shares and often shares too much rather than too little.
If prefer this imperfect communication to corporate speak and weasel words...

But mostly he gets things done way faster than the competition, and the company has never been in better shape, or better place for rapid growth.... As well overall the company has a mission which is very beneficial for humanity...

Given that no human is perfect, I prefer humans that try to make the world a better place, and people who achieve something...

Again, the issue isn't that it changed. The issue is with the attitude found in this thread where if someone posts something that Elon said and later changed, that posted harvests the disagrees and is treated as if they are personally attacking Musk. That attitude harms the value of an investment thread where objectivity and facts are very useful.

I agree; he said it.

I’ll throw a disagree many times because the attitude when pointing out his faults is rarely objective. There’s often an undertone of smugness and superiority. I’m against that for a lot of reasons that belong on another forum.