Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called and offered to transfer my free Supercharging to a new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same text and email, and decided to go for it. I have a 2018 S 100D with SC05 (non-transferable) FUSC. Wifey and I decided we would like to move that over to a new Model Y Performance, so I placed the order late last night. We didn't get charged the $250 deposit (it was given back to us as referral bonus) so we spent $52,490 for Model Y P, $1000 for white interior, $1390 destination fee = $54,880.

This is less than the Model Y LR I bought in August 2021 ($56K), delivered in June 2022 and sold in December of 2022 for $60K. And moving the SC05 FUSC to it will be a great bonus. I uploaded all my license and insurance info last night, and by this morning the bank had already approved my car loan (funding the entire amount, payment at delivery is just for Tax, Title, License).

Strange thing - they've already assigned a VIN to me in my order details. That was fast? Or is that an mistake? Maybe there is a new one of this configuration in inventory nearby already? That would be sweet, I'd be able to have a new ride this weekend.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I bought my Model S in late 2014 and had it delivered in early 2015. I have free Supercharging for life. Today the Tesla Lawrence Ave (Toronto) location called me and offered to transfer my free Supercharging to a new Tesla if I bought before Dec 31. I have never, ever received a call from Tesla trying to get me to buy a car in the 8+ years that I have owned the car. Never mind offering inducements to get me to buy a new Tesla.

This seems to imply that Tesla is having to make much more of an effort to sell vehicles as demand has softened.
I have received these offers over the years from Tesla. My first Tesla was the RWD MS 85. The whole delivery centre folks stood on both sides of the exit door and applauded as we drove away. They called me in 2016 when Dual motors and Auto Pilot rolled in. I traded my RWD for the MS85D with Autopilot 1 (not FSD). I bought an MX Plaid last month to replace my wife’s Acura MDX, again when i got texts from Tesla. Now tempted to replace my MS and transfer the Supercharging based on the follow-up texts. Not sure if I will go for the Plaid though. The net price difference after taxes between MS LR and MS Plaid in Ontario is $35K.

Reactions: Struja
I have received these offers over the years from Tesla. My first Tesla was the RWD MS 85. The whole delivery centre folks stood on both sides of the exit door and applauded as we drove away. They called me in 2016 when Dual motors and Auto Pilot rolled in. I traded my RWD for the MS85D with Autopilot 1 (not FSD). I bought an MX Plaid last month to replace my wife’s Acura MDX, again when i got texts from Tesla. Now tempted to replace my MS and transfer the Supercharging based on the follow-up texts. Not sure if I will go for the Plaid though. The net price difference after taxes between MS LR and MS Plaid in Ontario is $35K.
I actually lol at your pickup experience on your first. Mine wasn’t quite that good but those were the days when I thought the Tesla customer service experience was quite amazing.

It's a growth company.

The only competition in the early days was the Nissan Leaf.

It's different now.

Any slowdown in a growth stock is terrible news for the stock.
Easy there with the Nissan Leaf as competition in the early days. Model S was destroying all ICE performance records and car review metrics of its time while the Leaf was barely outlasting the golf carts...not to mention its lack of ecosystem.

My delivery date just got updated again. I went from “Mid October” to now I’m at November 11 - December 23 (which is the latest date I’ve ever been given). Hopefully I get it before December 31 to still get the deal.
I want to order my MS and take advantage of the FUSC. But the delivery date says December/January. So what happens if Tesla fails to deliver before December? I can understand if the car is made available by Tesla but we fail to pick it up. But if they don’t deliver how is it our fault? Anyone got clarity on that?

Except I am a Tesla fanboi who bought a Tesla before most people knew what they were, not someone yelling "Short Tesla" on Twitter for years. And they have never made even the slightest effort to teach out to me in the past about selling me another Tesla. That is very unlike other car companies I have dealt with, like Lexus, etc who nag you after a couple of years to upgrade. Tesla appears to be changing. And why offer me an incentive to buy a new vehicle if they can sell it at full price to someone else?
It probably is more difficult to sell 2 million cars a year compared to 35k. Especially with higher interest rates.

I want to order my MS and take advantage of the FUSC. But the delivery date says December/January. So what happens if Tesla fails to deliver before December? I can understand if the car is made available by Tesla but we fail to pick it up. But if they don’t deliver how is it our fault? Anyone got clarity on that?
Well, I might be the test case. I ordered my S on September 8, 2023. On the day of order, I was told mid October. Now there is a very good chance I don’t get the car until the new year. Who will be to blame if I don’t and why shouldn’t I get the transfer?

Well, I might be the test case. I ordered my S on September 8, 2023. On the day of order, I was told mid October. Now there is a very good chance I don’t get the car until the new year. Who will be to blame if I don’t and why shouldn’t I get the transfer?

Historically, Tesla has told customers in this situation to go kick rocks. The only exception I’ve seen with this was with the recent FSD transfer. Close to the end of Sept they pivoted and said if you ordered before Sept 30 they will honour the transfer even if you take delivery after the deadline. And since that is the most recent demand lever situation, it remains unseen how they will sort out the FUSC transfers past the deadline date.

I would bet money that they don’t even know themselves at this point and they’ll just make it up as they go.

Reactions: hydro
Historically, Tesla has told customers in this situation to go kick rocks. The only exception I’ve seen with this was with the recent FSD transfer. Close to the end of Sept they pivoted and said if you ordered before Sept 30 they will honour the transfer even if you take delivery after the deadline. And since that is the most recent demand lever situation, it remains unseen how they will sort out the FUSC transfers past the deadline date.

I would bet money that they don’t even know themselves at this point and they’ll just make it up as they go.
I’ve been told to kick rocks enough times by Tesla so much that I’ve come to expect it.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Maybe chat with a human - go to the showroom or try the website chat - I've had good results with both. Could be they can give you some insight.

I actually lol at your pickup experience on your first. Mine wasn’t quite that good but those were the days when I thought the Tesla customer service experience was quite amazing.

If it wasn't for these forums, I would still think Tesla customer service is pretty amazing. Few car issues even on a 7 yo car. Spent one morning at a service center, and to get my screen upgraded I went to another and got a loaner. Otherwise it's serviced by a super nice guy in my driveway. The other day we moved the car down the street so he could work on my door handle in the sun and not be too cold; he was super nice and even marked down the time needed to fix it to save me a bit.

This morning I test drove a new MX and MY at a different service center. No sit-down-and-discuss-rates-with-me, just a crazy nice guy showing me how to configure the X and Y and letting us drive it away. No sales sit-down afterwards, we walked away and he said he would email, which he did. ??? That's insane service in all respects. Maybe I'm lucky or just not too picky, but I can only think of one or two other companies that I deal with that are like that, and they're local, not publicly owned or anything.

If it wasn't for these forums, I would still think Tesla customer service is pretty amazing. Few car issues even on a 7 yo car. Spent one morning at a service center, and to get my screen upgraded I went to another and got a loaner. Otherwise it's serviced by a super nice guy in my driveway. The other day we moved the car down the street so he could work on my door handle in the sun and not be too cold; he was super nice and even marked down the time needed to fix it to save me a bit.

This morning I test drove a new MX and MY at a different service center. No sit-down-and-discuss-rates-with-me, just a crazy nice guy showing me how to configure the X and Y and letting us drive it away. No sales sit-down afterwards, we walked away and he said he would email, which he did. ??? That's insane service in all respects. Maybe I'm lucky or just not too picky, but I can only think of one or two other companies that I deal with that are like that, and they're local, not publicly owned or anything.
I use to have the same ranger come to my house (or my work) to fix any repairs, it was great. He was awesome and super attentive.

Recently, I had a service appointment at a newer service location (in Vaughan) and I was basically told to piss off when I asked for a loaner. I wasn’t even offered an Uber voucher to get to work. It was literally piss off and find my way home/ work or leave with no service. I tried to speak to the service manager and was told to double piss off (not at all joking). Needless to say, I pissed off without servicing my car. Lol

Having said that…still love the car.

I use to have the same ranger come to my house (or my work) to fix any repairs, it was great. He was awesome and super attentive.

Recently, I had a service appointment at a newer service location (in Vaughan) and I was basically told to piss off when I asked for a loaner. I wasn’t even offered an Uber voucher to get to work. It was literally piss off and find my way home/ work or leave with no service. I tried to speak to the service manager and was told to double piss off (not at all joking). Needless to say, I pissed off without servicing my car. Lol

I find this annoying. I paid over $100k for my car and I expect premium service, like I used to get from Lexus when I owned a Lexus vehicle.

Wow that's odd, I just got service done at Vaughan service center and I was given a loaner no issues. I was actually surprised that they did as these posts had my expectations really low when I had to drop my car off. I have the extended warranty agreement so maybe that's why?

Reactions: KevinT3141
Wow that's odd, I just got service done at Vaughan service center and I was given a loaner no issues. I was actually surprised that they did as these posts had my expectations really low when I had to drop my car off. I have the extended warranty agreement so maybe that's why?
People with issues always post, people with none rarely do - just a fact of the internet. I've always got a Model 3 loaner when I asked for one in Ottawa.

Reactions: Shaz
A few things…

1. I’m told they do give loaners to warranty customers.

2. My issue wasn’t even about the loaner but how callous I was treated and the fact that the service manager wouldn’t even come out and have a discussion with me.

3. Reading to google reviews from the Vaughan location, it seems like quite a few others have had some pretty bad customer service issues.

A few things…

1. I’m told they do give loaners to warranty customers.

2. My issue wasn’t even about the loaner but how callous I was treated and the fact that the service manager wouldn’t even come out and have a discussion with me.

3. Reading to google reviews from the Vaughan location, it seems like quite a few others have had some pretty bad customer service issues.
I see...yeah that sucks, sorry to hear you had that experience. Luckily I haven't had any bad experiences with the Vaughan Service Center so far.