Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called and offered to transfer my free Supercharging to a new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I bought my Model S in late 2014 and had it delivered in early 2015. I have free Supercharging for life. Today the Tesla Lawrence Ave (Toronto) location called me and offered to transfer my free Supercharging to a new Tesla if I bought before Dec 31. I have never, ever received a call from Tesla trying to get me to buy a car in the 8+ years that I have owned the car. Never mind offering inducements to get me to buy a new Tesla.

This seems to imply that Tesla is having to make much more of an effort to sell vehicles as demand has softened.

I bought my Model S in late 2014 and had it delivered in early 2015. I have free Supercharging for life. Today the Tesla Lawrence Ave (Toronto) location called me and offered to transfer my free Supercharging to a new Tesla if I bought before Dec 31. I have never, ever received a call from Tesla trying to get me to buy a car in the 8+ years that I have owned the car. Never mind offering inducements to get me to buy a new Tesla.

This seems to imply that Tesla is having to make much more of an effort to sell vehicles as demand has softened.
It's a growth company.

The only competition in the early days was the Nissan Leaf.

It's different now.

Any slowdown in a growth stock is terrible news for the stock.

Um. The local SC in Springfield, NJ has sent me the occasional text or email from time to time; I think it was the age of the 2018 M3 I was driving around.

Dunno about, "Demand softening." No offense, but that's often one of those FUD claims that comes out from naysayers occasionally.. which is kind of the opposite of the typical quarter-on-quarter increasing sales that Tesla has been doing.

Admittedly, this past quarter, Tesla shut down some production lines while getting Project Highland in gear; but their guidance is still something like 45% - 50% year on year increase in unit volumes of cars. Other car companies just wish they were doing numbers like that. Then they call their friends over at CNBC or something and ask for a FUD piece, so they don't look so bad.

Reactions: SO16 and KevinT3141

I've received the same message as an SMS text.

"Hi Hameed, it's Bram from Tesla Oakville.

I wanted to reach out to let you know that starting today you can transfer your unlimited free supercharging ⚡ to a new Model S, Model X or Model Y, if you take delivery by December 31, 2023.

Please reply "YES" if you would like an advisor to reach out to you with more details.

Thank you for your time."

I've received the same message as an SMS text.

"Hi Hameed, it's Bram from Tesla Oakville.

I wanted to reach out to let you know that starting today you can transfer your unlimited free supercharging ⚡ to a new Model S, Model X or Model Y, if you take delivery by December 31, 2023.
Have you received these messages before? Or is this a new thing.

Dunno about, "Demand softening." No offense, but that's often one of those FUD claims that comes out from naysayers occasionally.. which is kind of the opposite of the typical quarter-on-quarter increasing sales that Tesla has been doing.
Except I am a Tesla fanboi who bought a Tesla before most people knew what they were, not someone yelling "Short Tesla" on Twitter for years. And they have never made even the slightest effort to teach out to me in the past about selling me another Tesla. That is very unlike other car companies I have dealt with, like Lexus, etc who nag you after a couple of years to upgrade. Tesla appears to be changing. And why offer me an incentive to buy a new vehicle if they can sell it at full price to someone else?

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Have you received these messages before? Or is this a new thing.
Got the same text as @SilverGS (mine was from Kaleb from Tesla Canada) and I've never received these types of messages before. Enticing offer...but then I would have to give up free premium connectivity for life and FSD I bought at a discount back in 2018. Will be keeping my MX until it dies.

I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of these tactics in the future. After the last earnings call it’s pretty clear they are pulling demand levers more rapidly now. Margins per unit are way down so they need to make up volume now. They pulled the FSD transfer demand lever in Q3 and now Q4 has the FUSC transfer lever.

If you’re considering it, it might be worth waiting until December and get those EOY price drops.

Reactions: Shaz
Got the same text as @SilverGS (mine was from Kaleb from Tesla Canada) and I've never received these types of messages before. Enticing offer...but then I would have to give up free premium connectivity for life and FSD I bought at a discount back in 2018. Will be keeping my MX until it dies.
Yes agreed. I don't have FSD, so don't really care about it. Connectivity is not an issue for me really as I can just hotspot from my phone (15GB of data that I never use). I definitely use FUSC, but I can't afford a new car right now.

If they allow this FUSC transfer in the future when the CyberTruck is out, I will definitely consider it then.

Except I am a Tesla fanboi who bought a Tesla before most people knew what they were, not someone yelling "Short Tesla" on Twitter for years. And they have never made even the slightest effort to teach out to me in the past about selling me another Tesla. That is very unlike other car companies I have dealt with, like Lexus, etc who nag you after a couple of years to upgrade. Tesla appears to be changing. And why offer me an incentive to buy a new vehicle if they can sell it at full price to someone else?
Knowing Tesla I am sure they must have done some data analysis and found that if x % of old owners upgrade they can boost sales by y%. Considering the fact that they have no problems producing suffucient number of cars and that they dont do promotions like traditional car companies, this is just another way for them to boost sales.

Reactions: KevinT3141
How much faster? And are they limited to 40A from a HPWC? I have an older HPWC and my Model S can do 80A at home.
250 kW on Superchargers until about 30% state of charge, still doing 150 kW at 50% and 75 kW at 75%. These are specs for 3/Y... the S/X might be a little faster due to the bigger battery pack. I can't confirm, but they're at least as good as 3/Y.

Home charging is 48 amps, or 11.5 kW. Fast enough to recharge from empty in 5-6 hours. Since the new cars are so much more efficient than the old cars, range added at home is only slightly slower, even though the charge rate is much lower. New S/X should be adding around 44 miles of range per hour compared to your car, which is probably around 55 miles of range per hour.