Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Coming from an S, thinking about a 3... Never had to pay supercharging before, approximately how much is it to charge the car up let's say 80% (the long range battery)? I apologize if this has been discussed before, I tried to find it and couldn't locate any solid intel. Thanks!

Coming from an S, thinking about a 3... Never had to pay supercharging before, approximately how much is it to charge the car up let's say 80% (the long range battery)? I apologize if this has been discussed before, I tried to find it and couldn't locate any solid intel. Thanks!
This link below will answer all of your questions. Most states are certain cost per kWh. A few states have cost per amount of time, since it is not legal in those states for a non-utility to sell electricity. Texas for example is one of those states.

In your case, CA is $0.20/kWh. If you would charge from 10% to 90%, estimate adding about 60kWh of charge, would be $12.

Supercharging

For all you Model 3 future drivers without EV experience just remember, Charging at home will by your cheapest cost. Next comes Superchargers, which will be only slightly higher than home, and in some cases, may be even less than home.

But the biggest shock to you will be that both places you charge will be MUCH cheaper than buying gas for your ICE vehicle. jmho

Reactions: gene
Oregon - 0.12/Kwh That's about what I would pay at home with flat rates. I ran the numbers for time-of-day rates, assuming 10 Kwh per day, five days a week and 15 on weekends. Still doesn't work out, as the peak rates are killers (3x), the mid-rates are double the flat rate, and we have an electric water heater, dryer, space heater for one bedroom and a small heatpump for another. I could put a timer on the waterheater, but they aren't really cost effective, as the lowest rate (2 cents lower than the flat rate!) only applies late at night.

Reactions: N8Howell33
I think they have to do it this way to avoid being considered a utility. You are actually being provided the electricity for "free" and being charged for the use of the supercharger hardware.

Right now they are already doing a bit of an end run on that, as they have a coarse below 60kW $x, above 60kW (so up to 120kW) $2x. I do wonder how fine gained they could get on that, to make it an even closer analogue, before Public Utilites Commission o Texas (that's who it'd fall under?) called foul. Say the went in 20kW increments, or even 10kW increments.

As it is, if your just under 60kW or just under 120kW that's a pretty good rate, 8c/kWh. As good as a lot of people get at home for a flat rate, better than I can get where I am. But if the SC is only trickling your battery (for whatever reason) or crosses over the 60kW line and you're up as high as 16c/kWh. That's still a hella lot better than non-Tesla will charge you here (L2 like Blink and DC Fast like EV-Go both run effectively at 40c/kWh) but still it's a really big swing in price that's entirely predictable when you drive up. Finer granularity on the pricing would make it a lot more predictable what price you'll end up paying for *cough* renting the SC equipment to service your car on any given recharge.

For the distance-challenged people that don't live in CA, that's 400 miles roundtrip to San Luis Obispo vs. 1000 miles to San Diego.

@Msjulie: So, that's what, three SC stops? How much time was spent in total charging the 3? I ask since I might be going to LA to see friends in the future with the 3 and was wondering if it's better to hit the SC outside SLO or risk going all the way to Santa Barbara (Buellton) which is about 260 miles. Or perhaps you went down I-5?

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Oregon - 0.12/Kwh That's about what I would pay at home with flat rates. I ran the numbers for time-of-day rates, assuming 10 Kwh per day, five days a week and 15 on weekends. Still doesn't work out, as the peak rates are killers (3x), the mid-rates are double the flat rate, and we have an electric water heater, dryer, space heater for one bedroom and a small heatpump for another. I could put a timer on the waterheater, but they aren't really cost effective, as the lowest rate (2 cents lower than the flat rate!) only applies late at night.

Have you been able to check your actual current usage patterns?

I doubt it would work because of your heating, but it's better if you can get your real data and see how it would be. (Here we're able to request our smart meter data and be sent a spreadsheet).

@Msjulie: So, that's what, three SC stops? How much time was spent in total charging the 3? I ask since I might be going to LA to see friends in the future with the 3 and was wondering if it's better to hit the SC outside SLO or risk going all the way to Santa Barbara (Buellton) which is about 260 miles. Or perhaps you went down I-5?

I didn't take the shortest route on the way down, taking rt 1 till Moro Bay or so then hugging the coast where I could. I stopped 3 times on the way down, only the last being one the car suggested (I actually went to La Jolla then San Diego/back & forth during the weekend). On the way home it was 2 stops but could have been just 1 - had a dog with me that couldn't wait till the car-scheduled stop and I didn't stay the extra amount needed so I had a brief Harris Ranch stop. Got home with 36miles left.

Have you been able to check your actual current usage patterns?

I doubt it would work because of your heating, but it's better if you can get your real data and see how it would be. (Here we're able to request our smart meter data and be sent a spreadsheet).

Yes, I can and have download hourly data, loaded it to a spreadsheet, made the mods for a Model 3 and ran the numbers. Actually, did this for a six-month period, although there really isn't much variation month to month.

approx. between $10-$13 for charging battery pack from 10% to 80%

The two tiered rates of SC use in most (all) states is pretty generous to the Tesla driver overall but it will vary somewhat by car and circumstance. I think it is overall correct to say that a 20 - 80% SoC charge will average out to about 1C charge rate -- so lower tier for the SR model at about 1 kwh a minute; and higher tier for the LR Model 3 at 1.5 kWh a minute.

I suppose you can game the system if the pennies are that important but most people will value their time a lot more. One side-effect of the charge scheme (that I presume Tesla thought of, clever people that they are) is that milking the SC for the last few SoC percent is increasingly expensive. So take what you need to reach the next destination safely and with confidence but no more.

I like it!