Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging program change (good news)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s good news for those that have yet to buy a M3; but not exactly equitable for those of us non-owners who were among those taking delivery of the car. We couldn’t test drive one before buying; most were probably not even lucky enough to see one on the street before taking delivery of our own M3. Yet while we are eligible to offer a referral code; we didn’t receive any supercharging benefit. I have had my M3 for just under 7 months and only used supercharging once on a longer day trip. The rest of my charging is done at home during super off-peak hours. While I don’t particurly need supercharging; I’m sure many people who took early deliveries might find the benefit helpful. Perhaps Elon can retro-actively give us very early adopters some supercharging benefit. What does everyone else think?

It’s good news for those that have yet to buy a M3; but not exactly equitable for those of us non-owners who were among those taking delivery of the car. We couldn’t test drive one before buying; most were probably not even lucky enough to see one on the street before taking delivery of our own M3. Yet while we are eligible to offer a referral code; we didn’t receive any supercharging benefit. I have had my M3 for just under 7 months and only used supercharging once on a longer day trip. The rest of my charging is done at home during super off-peak hours. While I don’t particurly need supercharging; I’m sure many people who took early deliveries might find the benefit helpful. Perhaps Elon can retro-actively give us very early adopters some supercharging benefit. What does everyone else think?
We bought two Model 3s this year and neither received free Supercharging. Both were first day reservations, made before the reveal. That's not the best way to reward early adopters. :(

We had something similar happen when buying one of the first S100Ds in 2017, but in that case, they retroactively awarded free lifetime Supercharging. It would be nice if they would apply it to all Model 3s that have already been delivered.

Just got this retweet from Elon:
Tesla updates Referral Program to include all vehicles. All Model 3 variants, including $45k Mid Range now eligible for free unlimited Supercharging

You have to read the fine print. Free unlimited supercharging...for six months.

Model S, Model X and Model 3: Six Months of Free Supercharging

Owners can give five friends six months of free Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3. All owners who received a $100 Supercharging credit with a referral order placed between September 19 and October 19 will also receive six months of free Supercharging.

You have to read the fine print. Free unlimited supercharging...for six months.

Owners can give five friends six months of free Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3. All owners who received a $100 Supercharging credit with a referral order placed between September 19 and October 19 will also receive six months of free Supercharging.
That's six months more than what we got on either of the Model 3s we bought.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla has a history of doing this. They generally add stuff and keep the price about the same - larger battery, tech package/premium audio/air suspension and other features are examples. In this case, they added six months of free supercharging.

A 2018 S100D costs the same as my 2013 S85. Has parking sensors, folding mirrors, HD backup camera, premium audio, cold weather package, LTE, individual readout TPMS, AWD, and larger battery (70 miles more range) - to name just a few things.

It appears so for new orders. For orders in the past month it looks like you may get both.
Hope so. I got solar panels and evse at home, free charging at work. I would only go to a super charger just to check it out. To have 100 credit for emergency fill would be great.

But I don't think it's both. Teslarati article says "in place of the $100 credit".

Last edited:
It’s definitely both for orders placed between 9/19-10/19.

Attachments

• 75F30289-97D9-406B-B91D-F350F5C1815E.png
    75F30289-97D9-406B-B91D-F350F5C1815E.png
    467.3 KB · Views: 116
We bought two Model 3s this year and neither received free Supercharging. Both were first day reservations, made before the reveal. That's not the best way to reward early adopters. :(

We had something similar happen when buying one of the first S100Ds in 2017, but in that case, they retroactively awarded free lifetime Supercharging. It would be nice if they would apply it to all Model 3s that have already been delivered.
Same boat as you 2 model3 already delivered. I doubt they will make it retroactive. I don’t mind. The free supercharging is really limited value, don’t take many long range trips and rates low. I just hope that they don’t raise fees to cover costs of those free ones. It does remind me of your typical ICE Delors where someone always gets a better deal.

Same boat as you 2 model3 already delivered. I doubt they will make it retroactive. I don’t mind. The free supercharging is really limited value, don’t take many long range trips and rates low. I just hope that they don’t raise fees to cover costs of those free ones. It does remind me of your typical ICE Delors where someone always gets a better deal.

Seriously. I’m not liking how Tesla is basically like a dealer. Someone always gets a better deal.

Never again will I reserve or early adopt a Tesla.

is it free supercharging for a year? for the duration of ownership? for the life of the car?

I can tell you that in NJ locals are STILL using superchargers instead of charging at home. even with some garages charging $2.50 for a few hours of parking!!

from the Tesla site:

Referral Program

Tesla customers can give friends exclusive benefits on Model S, Model X, Model 3 and solar panels with their personal referral code.

Referral Program as of Oct 20th

Placed my order way back on June 29th and supposed to take delivery tomorrow. No referral used at the time because there was no reason to (AWD, non-P). Any chance they will let me retroactively use a friend’s referral code to get the 6 months of supercharging? I mean, if not no big deal b/c I’ll still be driving the world’s most amazing car. But if they will, I mean, I like icing on my cake!