Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging settings during trips.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you use the built-in Trip Planner it plots supercharging stop locations, charging times, and charging limits. It is my understanding the charge limit will vary from one stop to another depending on predicted time, distance, and state of charge. Does the trip planner automatically set the charge limit at each stop or do you read the recommendation on the trip planner and manually set the charge limit to that recommendation before plugging in at each stop?

It will tell you to "continue on" with your trip when it is ready, but it does not set a fixed limit and does not stop charging until you unplug or reach your pre-set limit. There is no reason to refuse power like when you are at home taking short trips.

If your charge limit is set too low, I think you will need to manually increase it.

Reactions: Big Earl
You set the limit in your car; the "Trip Planner" doesn't move that around. And when you're on a trip, going from Supercharger to Supercharger, I think it's a good idea to just move that all the way up to 100% during your trip. That would be a waste if you're taking a little longer walking around at a stop or finishing eating, and your car has stopped at a lower limit and isn't charging and is assessing idle fees for you just because you're not back yet. Make all that time useful, with keeping charging going until you do get back. And once you're done with your trip, go ahead and set it back down to 80 or 90% or whatever you usually use.

Does the trip planner automatically set the charge limit at each stop or do you read the recommendation on the trip planner and manually set the charge limit to that recommendation before plugging in at each stop?

There's no need to manually re-adjust or set the charge limit, UNLESS it's already set below the SOC you'd need to get to the next Supercharger/your destination.

2 years and MANY road trips in my car have demonstrated that it's a good idea to charge to ~10% higher than the car's suggestion, just in case.

The only exception I've seen to all of the comments so far is that if you're at a very busy location the car will actually set charge limit. I think it sets it to 85% or maybe something slightly more than 10% more than what you need to arrive at your next destination. But it does allow you to readjust it higher if you want to and it doesn't complain. This has happened to me twice I believe. Both times the place pretty much cleared out before I got to that new set limit and it didn't matter anyway.

Reactions: ahcpa
When charging in Knoxville, Tennessee at Thanksgiving it told me that I had a charge limit of 80%, since I did not feel comfortable with making my destination I continued to charge to 90%. All of the Stalls were full, when I arrive and no one was waiting when I decided to continue to charge.

In that massive parking lot that goes forever? Yeah that's one of the ones I had an automatic limit set as well. I've charged there 2 or 3 times and it seemed like the charging traffic came in waves. One moment you're there by yourself and the next moment there's two cars waiting for a spot. The same happened in Memphis, where I've charged probably six times now.

I like the Knoxville spot because there's probably half a dozen or more restaurants to walk to, plus a lot of shopping. Hopefully after covid it'll be a better stop :D Same with Memphis!

rging traffic came in waves. One moment you're there by yourself and the next moment there's two cars waiting for a spot. The same happened in Memphis, where I've charged probably six times now.

I was there on Thanksgiving Day and the only thing open was the Starbucks... I would highly suggest that if you need a bathroom on a Holiday, (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.) that you go prior to arriving...

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudMusic