Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging with multiple cars and accounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I question that came up recently is my parents both now have Tesla car, my mom just got a 2023 Model Y. Also they both have their own Tesla accounts with having access to each others car. So when it comes to supercharging, whose account will be charged? since they each have access in there own accounts to the other car, its not clear who's account will be charged, I.E if my dad driving my moms car and vice versa, as well if they are traveling together. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Sophias_dad is correct. Car Y account has a linked credit card/bank for payment. Car X account has a linked credit card/bank for payment.
The linked card/bank will be charged when car X or Y is Supercharged.
I get that much, but both accounts still have access to the other ones car. So each account can see both cars. so it 2 cars connected to 2 accounts. i understand it would be simpler if it was just 1 car per account, but each use separate account with both cars visible

i understand it would be simpler if it was just 1 car per account, but each use separate account with both cars visible

Its still simple. Perhaps you are not looking at it in their app, so you cant see what is being talked about? If 10 people had access to 1 Tesla being signed into their own Tesla accounts and apps, there would still be (1) card registered to the car for supercharging.

Both parents having separate Tesla accounts doesnt matter.

Reactions: WyoDude
I get that much, but both accounts still have access to the other ones car. So each account can see both cars. so it 2 cars connected to 2 accounts. i understand it would be simpler if it was just 1 car per account, but each use separate account with both cars visible
Whichever account the car was ordered with is the primary account. That’s the account that supercharging will be billed to regardless of who is driving it. Any other account will be a secondary account.

So dads car, ordered with dads account, will always bill supercharging to dads account.

Moms car, ordered with moms account, will always bill supercharging to moms account.

It doesn’t matter that they have both added the other car to their own accounts. It doesn’t matter who’s driving which car at the time of charging. The primary account is the one that is billed.

I gotta say, if I'm letting Stacy's Mom be driven by someone else, I clearly either share a pool of money with that person or trust that they'll pay me for whatever supercharging is done, or we'll just settle up in trade. On a related note, Stacy's Mom has not been driven by anyone else(except for Tesla service people) without me in the car :)

Your initial question, "So when it comes to supercharging, whose account will be charged?", is answered clearly then - that the credit card/bank linked to the car being Supercharged will be billed.

They can see 2 cars in the app because they gave each other access to their cars, not access to each others account. This makes access to the cars easier without access to somebody's account.

I log in my account (using my email address/password) and see 2 cars in the app. One under my account and one car my wife gave me access to. She can't see my car in her app because I did not give her access. She can't drive my car. ;)

Can you clarify which set-up you rather have?

Perhaps you are not looking at it in their app, so you cant see what is being talked about?
Yeah, I am doubting that it's really how it's being described. A car is associated onto one Tesla account. I didn't think being able to associate as a "secondary" onto another account is even a real thing.

We have two Tesla cars, but we made sure to order them both on one Tesla account. So my phone and my wife's phone are both logged into that one Tesla account, and we can both see and control both cars, because both are on that one account. That's my guess as to how this is really set up.

Yeah, I am doubting that it's really how it's being described. A car is associated onto one Tesla account. I didn't think being able to associate as a "secondary" onto another account is even a real thing.

We have two Tesla cars, but we made sure to order them both on one Tesla account. So my phone and my wife's phone are both logged into that one Tesla account, and we can both see and control both cars, because both are on that one account. That's my guess as to how this is really set up.

Separate Tesla accounts can see multiple cars if the secondary account is added as an additional driver.

Both my and my wifes cars, I am the primary purchaser so on Tesla's end they are both assigned to me. I added my wife as an additional driver (after I had her sign up for her own tesla account), simply because I try not to share login accounts if I dont have to (IT best practice). My wife and I share everything (joint bank accounts, etc etc) but for all that stuff I try to have us have separate logins if possible.

Anyway, She has her own Tesla account, with her own email address etc, but she can see both cars (and our powerwalls too actually) in her tesla account. For the cars, I had to just add her as an additional driver. for the powerwalls, I had to contact tesla energy support and have them assign it to her somewhere on their system.

We both see everything (Both cars and The powerwalls) in our separate Tesla accounts. As far as supercharging goes, I put a card in there for both cars, and thats what it would use if she took either car to supercharge.

Not creating unnecessary, redundant, unused accounts is also good IT practice though. There really is no point to having to create and maintain an extra account just to create a circular reference.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this, because shared login = not desirable, to me, pretty much full stop.

Reactions: WyoDude
It's about organization and streamlining too. I want all of the documentation, service history, service requests, billing information, communication with service centers, purchase contract information, etc. etc. to all be in one place for all of our Tesla cars. Having that scattered across multiple accounts is not good. It's also a bit ease of use that my wife never wants to deal with it, so I am the one who will be making the service requests in the app for both cars.

I had my wife and son create separate accounts and I then listed them as additional drivers. It leaves me in control of my account. Any of us can easily change their password (or go through a password recovery) without bothering the others. I can let my son drive one car, but not the other. I don't have to worry that someone besides me will buy some upgrade, etc...

It also makes profiles work better as the profiles use the account to sync settings between cars.

Reactions: Goobers
It's about organization and streamlining too. I want all of the documentation, service history, service requests, billing information, communication with service centers, purchase contract information, etc. etc. to all be in one place for all of our Tesla cars. Having that scattered across multiple accounts is not good. It's also a bit ease of use that my wife never wants to deal with it, so I am the one who will be making the service requests in the app for both cars.

Its not scattered, its all under my account since I am the primary owner. My wife doesnt deal with "any of that" either.

Her having her own account doesn't force her to do anything. You want all the data on one account, there's no difference from simply YOU doing it anyway.

Not creating unnecessary, redundant, unused accounts is also good IT practice though. There really is no point to having to create and maintain an extra account just to create a circular reference.
No, that practice only really applies to multiple accounts tied to the SAME person. In actual IT, each person having an account means you have actual control over individual access rights as needed. And in the case of an issue, it limits the effect of the issue. In case anyone is wondering, there's group policies for grouping accounts with similar roles/access.

And what "circular reference"? As far as multiple Tesla accounts to a car, one is an actual owner's account while the rest are just access accounts. The owner's account has additional privileges that access accounts don't have. One such thing is the ability to limit the other accounts in some way (one example is speed limit). So, while the secondary accounts might have to rely on the primary for some things, nothing requires the primary to rely on the secondary, as your "circular reference" seems to imply.

In case anyone is wondering, there's group policies for grouping accounts with similar roles/access.

You sound like an IT person (like I am). I also create and assign windows group policy settings to computers (and users) in various containers in my day job, which is likely why I feel so strongly about not sharing accounts (unless you create a generic account that is specific for sharing for some business purpose or other).

Before Tesla had the ability to assign additional drivers, it was much harder to have multiple people share a vehicle, so my wife and I shared my Tesla login. When it became possible for us to have separate logins I had her create her own and we did it that way.

Note that we have each others passwords for our various login accounts in places (bank, 401k etc) and in almost all cases we jointly own all of these things so either of our logins works to "do stuff".

With Tesla specifically, it used to be that additional drivers couldnt request roadside assistance in the app (they had to call) so I made sure my wife both had my login, and also had the Tesla roadside assistance number in her phone in case of any issue.

Anyway, @Rocky_H , I am certainly not saying you are doing anything wrong for yourself, or trying to intimate anything like that. I just was saying why I had it that way for myself. There is always a sliding scale between security and convenience, and they are in general, on opposite sides. Increasing security very rarely increases convenience (there are exceptions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Goobers
Yeah, I did tech support for a couple of years at a community college before I was encouraged to move from Chicago to San Diego.

Stuff happened, I moved back to Chicago and now, I do deliveries for my sister and her husband’s restaurant.

I do miss putzing around with computers. Anyway…

I didn’t know about the ways Tesla’s accounts worked, or rather, didn’t work in the past.

Note that we have each others passwords for our various login accounts in places (bank, 401k etc) and in almost all cases we jointly own all of these things so either of our logins works to "do stuff".
That was kind of my point. We jointly own our house. We jointly own our homeowners' insurance. So we have an account for that, that either of use can use to "do stuff" We also jointly own these cars.

There is always a sliding scale between security and convenience, and they are in general, on opposite sides. Increasing security very rarely increases convenience (there are exceptions).
And I think this is a case that is the exception or reverse case. Each additional login account associated to another external email address is another added attack vector of an account possibly being compromised, so it is additional risk. Not having those extra logins reduces the risk vectors of accounts getting hacked.

I know what you are saying in most kinds of environments where every person MUST have their own accounts as separate entities, then sure, we should make it to not have people sharing passwords onto other people's accounts, because there shouldn't be good reasons to log into a "wrong" account. But all cars owned/titled to the same entity can be one account. There doesn't have to be a need for the extra accounts at all.