Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SURPRISING 50 MILE Range Boost in a 2017 Model S60D With 17.17.4 (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jim Holder

Keep calm and trade on
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2017
Mars
Hi All!

Finally got the update to 17.17.4 last night and much to my surprise after charging to 100% my range displayed 270 miles (!) when it normally maxes out at around 219. So I drove it around for a bit and it's still up there in the 260's...

My average Wh/mi of 360-380 is accurate (see the display on the right for the past 15 miles is still there from yesterday pre-update), so it can't be a misreading by the system (or could it?).

Could it be the new FW uses a new algorithm for calculating range (not mentioned in release notes) OR after a FW update the car needs to calibrate again and soon my "range" display will fall back to where I remember it (around 219 miles on 100% charge)?

Anyone else see a range bump?

:cool:

IMG_3436.jpg

I personally think charge percentage is not as good as rated miles.

Get in another EV and rated miles will still mean something: You can drive and know what to expect
because rated miles is a unit of energy calibrated to the cars performance.

XX% means nothing. How big is the battery? What is the energy per mile? You have a
lot of learning to do to figure out how far you can go.

Get in another EV and rated miles will still mean something: You can drive and know what to expect
because rated miles is a unit of energy calibrated to the cars performance.

Ask yourself this question: will you travel the same number of miles for a given battery charge, regardless of speed?

Temporal context is everything.

XX% means nothing. How big is the battery? What is the energy per mile? You have a
lot of learning to do to figure out how far you can go.

Have you ever driven an internal combustion engine vehicle?