Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprising software update failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is a new one on me. Yesterday I got the notification that I had a new update waiting, so I clicked to install in the wee hours at the suggested default time.

This morning, car unresponsive to phone app. Fearing the worst I went out to check it. On screen was this dialog: "Software Update. Update could not be started. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car." After closing that dialog I also noticed the Wi-Fi/cellular menu was showing as the five cellular bars with a "no" slash through them. Pulling the menu down showed me "Initializing..." with a spinner and below that, the usual "Wi-Fi Settings" option. The spinner spun, and spun, and spun, so I tried the "Wi-Fi Settings" but that just gave me a box with "Wi-Fi Initializing. Please wait a moment" with a larger spinner, also spinning forever. Tapping the "i" button to show me the MAC address gave "MAC Address: not available". Hmm. Tried rebooting CID. No change. Tried power-cycling the car with the "power and e-brake" pane. The car took quite a long time to become responsive again and in fact only became responsive when I opened the driver's door (whether coincidentally or whether it was ignoring the brake pedal I don't know). Anyway, after that, the Wi-Fi menu was back to showing the Wi-Fi slice-of-pie icon (with just one segment lit, as expected for the location), and the alarm clock icon showing again to indicate an update waiting. So I went ahead and told it to go for it, right away.

The update completed with no further drama, but it was a little strange.