Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: Why did you pre-order a TESLA Model 3?

What were your TOP TWO REASONS for pre-ordering a TESLA Model 3?

• My concern for the ENVIRONMENT

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • I am always an EARLY ADOPTER and this is the wave of the future

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • It's the FREAKIN' COOLEST car out there... gas or electric

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • I believe in what ELON MUSK/TESLA is doing and I want to support him/TESLA

Votes: 109 42.7%
  • Model 3 is the only EV car that I BOTH truly lust after AND can afford

Votes: 85 33.3%
  • I just plain LOVE the car

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • The TECHNOLOGY/PERFORMANCE

Votes: 123 48.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't really care less about the environment. Tesla (and it's owner/fanbase) has figured out how to "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" with modern media by producing performance electric cars when everybody else is trying to appeal to the treehugger with 70hp motors.

Reactions: TSLAholic
Other....

Why Not? A base model 3 is cheaper than the battery upgrade for a Roadster. Our Model S will be closer to 5 years by the time the 3 comes out and i prefer a smaller car than the Model S but with the range.

I couldn't really care less about the environment. Tesla (and it's owner/fanbase) has figured out how to "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" with modern media by producing performance electric cars when everybody else is trying to appeal to the treehugger with 70hp motors.

I am hoping the survey might reveal if there are more "treehugger" buyers or "performance/technology" buyers.

Furthering Tesla's mission is cool, but on the practical side I don't like buying gas, or changing oil, or working on/listening to engines, and I am very much looking forward to the day when I won't have to do it anymore. I like the advancement of car design that they offer. I have never bought a new car and the Model 3 is the first electric that is within the reach of both my wallet and my usage pattern.

Other: I need a new car soon. We've had an EV as our main vehicle since 2000, and I won't buy a gas car. So I might as well buy the best car available.

For years I've said that if I can have an honest 200 mile EV, then I no longer need a hybrid. So I'll take the 300+ mile option and be in great shape.

The model 3 would be an EV, that is long range, supercharger access, safety as priority, autopilot, massive infotainment screen are my reasons for reserving the model 3. I would be out of a car one year or so by the time I take delivery of my model 3, so I need a car is my main reason.

All of the above.

Also, I've been looking for a car that finally beats the 2004 Toyota Prius at what it's good at.

There are plenty of good vehicles out there which can do different things better (Volt, F-150, sporty cars). But it's a hard car to make obsolete.

The Model 3, the Bolt, and the Leaf 2.0 look like they have a chance at it. Tesla was the first vendor willing to take my money (though not necessarily the first to deliver the car), but that's offset by it (presumably) being the nicest if the lot.

Also, it's exciting to follow the development of this car. Watching this car take shape over the next couple of years is like having a sports team to root for, except that it's something I care about (engineering and Design) and the outcome will actually matter.

Last edited:
My main reason was to have an option to buy an early Model 3, and get the US federal tax credit before it is phased out. It is an option that I can exercise, or I can also request a refund at any time.

This option is much better than keeping the money in the bank. The interest rate is similar (~0%), and in my opinion Tesla will be putting the money to much better use than the bank. It may be a little bit risker than a FDIC insured bank account, but I think the risk is small and very acceptable to me.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Luke42 and hoang51
I have owned a 2010 Prius since new and want to upgrade. Toyota gives me no option to upgrade both efficiency and performance wise at once and also own a car that genuinely looks good. TBH I have concerns about how reliable the Model 3 will be but with the simplicity of an EV and Tesla's experience, I am hoping it will not be too bad. I don't however expect Toyota level build quality and reliability, the only times I have had to go to dealership during past 6 years with my current car has been for annual MOT/Service and worn out brake replacement.

+ I am an Engineer myself so I like new gadgets

I'm a gadget nerd. It will compliment my home network, smartphone, smartwatch, tablet, laptop, etc etc etc....

And if it's half as fun to drive as the S...even better.

But it will also become our "distance" car.

The in-laws live 550 miles away in VA, and even as the SC is set up right now, we can easily get there with plenty SoC to spare, and since my FiL spent 30 years working for the Dept. of Ag, he's very "green". When we visit in July, I'm helping him run a 50A/Nema 14-50 to a post beside the house, just for our visits (and probably his larger table saw projects....)

AutoPilot on those long trips mean I won't need a nap as soon as we arrive in VA.

Affordable: Far more than I'll have spent before, but still a great advance.
Long-distance: the car is designed to be aerodynamic to try to make long-distance driving work at highway speeds.
Electric: so many reasons to support electrification
Compact: we like smaller, more maneuverable vehicles
Car: don't need an SUV

The base model is the serious purchase.
I'll pay for Supercharging because I'll want to be able to use it. There's one that will probably be useful during winter.
Glad to have all the driver safety tech.
Plan to spend pocket money on Autopilot.
Don't need AWD.

Last edited:
I want to become all electric. No ICE in my future. To do that I need more range than my current Nissan Leaf. My options at this point appear to be the Model 3 or the Bolt, or possibly Leaf 2 in a couple of years. I won't consider Leaf 2 if it doesn't have a thermal management system for the battery, as I live in AZ and their air cooled batteries haven't proven to hold up very long. After GM's shenanigans in Indiana, I am very unlikely to support GM with my next EV purchase. Plus, I think the 3 will be a much better car than the Bolt or Leaf 2.

I hate going to the gas station. While my 2006 Camry only has 88k miles and could probably go for another decade (or more), I'm tired of it and want to replace it. I've looked at and/or driven: Audi A4, Lexus IS350/ES350/ES300h, BMW 330e, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Volvo S60... none of which makes me want one over the other. They're all... the same, in a sense. The Tesla is different. I actually want it, whereas the others I could certainly be happy with them.

I don't need 200+ miles of range. I'd be happy with ~150. But I'd really like 250 so that it can be a family trip option rather than always having to take my wife's Pilot.

Why do I plan to buy? I believe in the cause/wave of the future/etc... but mainly, there isn't another car on the market right now that interests me. I'm sick of having to choose between a functionally great but boring commuter with no style or a badass looking but unreliable and ultimately disappointing American sports car. I'm hoping the Model 3 gives me all I want in a car. So far, I'm excited by what I see.

Why did I preorder? Because I want to have one this decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke42