Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension creaking noise front right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concern: vehicle makes a clicking noise on bumpy roads and slower speeds.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Replace Front Stabilizer Bar Links
Replaced passenger front stabilizer link. Noise no longer present.

Part Quantity
FR STABAR LINK LH (1027391-00-B) 1

Does anyone have an idea what this is? It's gotten progressively worse. I have a service appointment next week, just wanted to see if anyone has had the same experience.

I had the identical experience in my X90D, bought it in April 2016 and has about 77000 miles on it. I had Tesla Mobile service come and check it out. After poking around for an hour, the tech asked me to take it in to a service center. At the service center, a tech drove my car around and heard the difference in this sound with the suspension at the 'high' vs the 'low' level. At high the sound seem to have diminished. He had an "aha' moment and went wrote up a service order. I was told I was out of warranty and so had to pay $1112.50 to make the sound go away or live with the problem. I dont believe that a $100,000 car should need to have major suspension parts replaced within a 100,000 miles! I am disappointed that Tesla isnt covering this under warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor FRT Hours FRT Price
Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment) 1.6 175.00
Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (Includes Alignment) 1.5 175.00

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD) 542.50
Parts: Price

1027327-00-D - FR UPR ARM ASSY RH 285.00
1027322-00-D - FR UPR ARM ASSY LH 285.00
Subtotal Parts Price: (USD) 570.00

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD) 1,112.50
Discount: (USD) 0.00
Shipping: (USD) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (USD) 0.00
Total Amount: (USD) 1,112.50

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service,
Tesla Service Houston-Westchase

Reactions: Rossy
I *sugar* you not.. I took my Dec 2018 MX to the SC yesterday about this very issue. They did a test drive with me and tried to dismiss it as "just a Model X thing".. and not covered under warranty. The tech was saying that it was mostly body flex causing some brushing of surfaces, which apparently is a non-covered item under warranty.

I still dropped off the car with them to do a diagnostic, chargeable at $175 diagnostic fee out of pocket - unless the diagnostic reveals an issue that's covered under warranty. Rattles, creaks, etc. are apparently not covered under warranty on a 4mo old car! o_O

I had the identical experience in my X90D, bought it in April 2016 and has about 77000 miles on it. I had Tesla Mobile service come and check it out. After poking around for an hour, the tech asked me to take it in to a service center. At the service center, a tech drove my car around and heard the difference in this sound with the suspension at the 'high' vs the 'low' level. At high the sound seem to have diminished. He had an "aha' moment and went wrote up a service order. I was told I was out of warranty and so had to pay $1112.50 to make the sound go away or live with the problem. I dont believe that a $100,000 car should need to have major suspension parts replaced within a 100,000 miles! I am disappointed that Tesla isnt covering this under warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor FRT Hours FRT Price
Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment) 1.6 175.00
Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (Includes Alignment) 1.5 175.00

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD) 542.50
Parts: Price

1027327-00-D - FR UPR ARM ASSY RH 285.00
1027322-00-D - FR UPR ARM ASSY LH 285.00
Subtotal Parts Price: (USD) 570.00

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD) 1,112.50
Discount: (USD) 0.00
Shipping: (USD) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (USD) 0.00
Total Amount: (USD) 1,112.50

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service,
Tesla Service Houston-Westchase

I just had BOTH upper control arms replaced today under warranty. Car 2 years old 49,000 miles squeaking started. Just got in under the wire on this one...

A friend whose dad owns a car repair shop told me that he heard a clunking noise when the car's suspension goes up/down and left/right and that I should get it looked at. Had to take Wattzen in to get a replacement windshield thanks to a rock...and while there..they looked into the noise. Apparently the fore and aft suspension links are torn and need replacement and this is not covered under the extended warranty bc it's a wearable component on the car according to the tech. Have 66k miles on my 8/16 AP1 X.

Now I am doing research and it looks like this should not have happened. Anybody else have a similar issue? What was the outcome?
I've had many issues with my vehicle and most were addressed under warranty (door latches, control module, wiring harness, defective FWD glass panels, ghosting windshield, etc......). Never could fix the wind noise issue at the driver door although I did just watch a video about placing electrical tape on the quarter panel glass so I will take a look when I get him back.

I *sugar* you not.. I took my Dec 2018 MX to the SC yesterday about this very issue. They did a test drive with me and tried to dismiss it as "just a Model X thing".. and not covered under warranty. The tech was saying that it was mostly body flex causing some brushing of surfaces, which apparently is a non-covered item under warranty.

I still dropped off the car with them to do a diagnostic, chargeable at $175 diagnostic fee out of pocket - unless the diagnostic reveals an issue that's covered under warranty. Rattles, creaks, etc. are apparently not covered under warranty on a 4mo old car! o_O

Had same issue with a brand new BMW. Squeaks, rattle, etc not covered under warranty

Ended up having my wife drive with car the car while I rode with my head under on the passenger floormat and my arms up under the dash. Eventually found some bolts that needed re-torquing. My post on Bemmerfest got a lot of thumbs up from people that had the same issue.

Hi all. Picked up my X Long Range in September and sometime in November it started creaking when accelerating and decelerating. Easiest to hear when just starting. Finally took it in to service in West Los Angeles, and the lead tech took a test drive with me. He, too, said that it is a Model X thing having to do with the air suspension. This coupled with a occasional loud rattle in the hatch door has me really put off on Tesla. People ask how I like it and I cannot give the enthusiastic response I could at the beginning.

One other thing - the front drive produces a loud gear whine. Heck, even the transmission on the Highlander I had before the X didn't make that much noise. Again, tech said it is typical. Does anyone else with a Raven X hear gear whine?

ON a side note, I was looking in the parts catalog tonight and it looks like they are on revision E of the Upper Control Arms

1027322-00-E - FR UPR ARM ASSY LH

Perhaps they continue to strengthen those parts. Would be interesting to get some comparison photos of the prior versions to see what exactly is changing.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Rossy
Does anyone have an idea what this is? It's gotten progressively worse. I have a service appointment next week, just wanted to see if anyone has had the same experience.

Hi there. I just started experiencing the EXACT same sounds/squeaking in my 2020 X. Unfortunately we are 150 miles away from home visiting family for Thanksgiving. What was the final resolution? Any insight as to whether safe for us to drive home?