Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension wish list - persistent high ground clearance mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that the current air suspension on the S can go to approx 7" and the X, 9"? My understanding is that the high ground clearance modes shut off at 10mph. I'd love to have a similar mode for the 3 with some changes. Here in the very snowy upstate NY/New England, the ability to go to 9"+ of ground clearance up to 45-50 mph is very helpful for our snow covered roads. Not talking about Jeep level off-roading or anything, rather Subaru Outback clearance. If the 3 has an adjustable suspension option, hope that Elon and the crew take this into consideration.

I thought of this in the past too.

I suspect it would conflict with Tesla (quite understandable) statement that the cars are designed for use on smooth roads.
Whilst higher clearance in snow might be desirable - and you can use "Extra High" up to 20mph, it would also possibly encourage some to use it for additional clearance for uneven tracks.

I thought of this in the past too.

I suspect it would conflict with Tesla (quite understandable) statement that the cars are designed for use on smooth roads.
Whilst higher clearance in snow might be desirable - and you can use "Extra High" up to 20mph, it would also possibly encourage some to use it for additional clearance for uneven tracks.

Good points, however some of us are more interested in utility than all-out performance. The Model Y may fill this void. I'd be happy with two traditional suspensions options from the factory to make their lives easier. One, a standard 5" clearance for performance oriented interests (both P and normal) and 8"-9" "Outback like" options for the more utility minded, along with 18" wheels for more resiliency on bad roads. I'd take the small efficiency hit for this.

Reactions: rajpatel486
Just a little reminder.... remember that when you are driving through snow that deep, your front radar antenna will become impacted with snow, and will not be able to do its job; so drive accordingly. That said, a couple of additional inches of height could lessen this effect.

Reactions: Red Sage
Just a little reminder.... remember that when you are driving through snow that deep, your front radar antenna will become impacted with snow, and will not be able to do its job; so drive accordingly. That said, a couple of additional inches of height could lessen this effect.

Can't find the link now, but the newer S/X have heaters on all the camera/sensors for just this reason - they stay clear in all conditions.

Can't find the link now, but the newer S/X have heaters on all the camera/sensors for just this reason - they stay clear in all conditions.
Right, but that's for snow covering your vehicle. This guy's saying that if you're driving in snow that's at or above the level of a sensor, it will not be able to function properly because snow will always be in front of it, no matter how hot the sensor gets.

Unless Tesla introduces a flamethrower/laser beam system that clears a path several hundred feet in front of the vehicle on snowy days. Although I'm sure it would clear a lot more than just snow off the road!

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
Expect the M3 to have a considerable list of options.

Base models to meet the entry price commitment.
Optioned models to make the money.

This is one aspect of auto manufacturing where Tesla would be mad not to follow established practice.

Just enable the James Bond Lotus mode. You can slide in the snow.

Even in 3 inches of snow when they plow the roads they create higher mounds. This is hard packed snow that can be like a rock. The roads can be clear but intersections with these ridges I close my eyes and hope my front end is not ripped off.

Most people have noted that on Model S, air suspension does not make much of a difference to ride quality so I presume people get that option simply to alter ground clearance for snow. That got me thinking, isn't there a cheaper and more reliable solution to adjust the height and fix it at a particular static setting.

That got me thinking, isn't there a cheaper and more reliable solution to adjust the height and fix it at a particular static setting.
Lower setting is better for high speed and reduces drag... Higher is better for pulling in driveways. If it was static and you had such a driveway you either sacrifice range or scrape your car all the time.

My Prius scrapes every time ... it's annoying.

Reactions: Jayc
Most people have noted that on Model S, air suspension does not make much of a difference to ride quality so I presume people get that option simply to alter ground clearance for snow. That got me thinking, isn't there a cheaper and more reliable solution to adjust the height and fix it at a particular static setting.
here's a video where an accelerometer was used to compare an air suspension Model S and a coil Model S at 45MPH (access road) and 62MPH (freeway)
There was a noticeable difference at the freeway speed. The blue line is the air, orange the coil.
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 9.17.08 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Jayc