Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sustainable investing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
We've had various discussions on aspects of sustainable investing in other threads, namely coal divestment, funds that focus specifically on renewable energy, etc. What I haven't seen is a thread dedicated to sensible sustainable investing that's not so narrowly defined.

In other words, if the goal is not specifically to divest from a particular negative sector or focus on a specific positive sector, but instead simply to build a relatively balanced portfolio which includes solely low-carbon stocks while roughly mirroring the attributes of a traditional index fund-where to start? What fund(s) would you use to build such a portfolio?

I understand that by definition if we're excluding carbon-intensive companies we're not going to get the exact attributes of an index fund. Rather, I'm looking for specific advice on how to build something as 'Boglehead'-like as possible while keeping it low carbon.

I'm aware of fossilfreefunds.org, which seems like a good starting point. I was recently sent a link to Aspiration's Redwood Fund (REDWX) as one possible investment choice. Rates well on fossilfreefunds and seems to be doing well.

So, discuss! Have you converted your own portfolio to low-carbon funds? (No fair replying with 'I'm 100% in TSLA!' This thread is focused on more balanced portfolios.) If so, what do your funds and allocations look like? Is there a service out there in the vein of Betterment that has options for low-carbon choices? (I've suggested this to Betterment and it's on their radar but not imminent.)

Thanks.

I'm mostly investing in global or total world funds, it's local fund companies here and they have sustainability policies, they "refrain from investing in companies that violate international laws and regulations as well as violations of human rights, labor law, corruption, serious climate and environmental damage, tobacco, controversial weapons (land mines, cluster and nuclear weapons) and companies with low durability".

I recently also added a very small tilt to countries with a clear goal to increase BEV transport, China and India markets right now.