Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping is Coming [Discuss how it will be accomplished]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now here is an intersting idea that I might use. If they use an "Auxiliary battery" say in the frunk as others have proposed that is high power, low weight, but slow charging, or no charging. That might interest me. Say for example that I have a meeting in San Francisco, and it will require 30 minutes at Gilroy to make the trip. If Gilroy has a line for charging, then I am late for my meeting. If I have an auxiliary battery that is used only when the main battery is close to empty, and can be swapped out when used, that would supply insurance that I can make my meeting on time. This would be an interesting addition to the line.

Now here is an intersting idea that I might use. If they use an "Auxiliary battery" say in the frunk as others have proposed that is high power, low weight, but slow charging, or no charging. That might interest me. Say for example that I have a meeting in San Francisco, and it will require 30 minutes at Gilroy to make the trip. If Gilroy has a line for charging, then I am late for my meeting. If I have an auxiliary battery that is used only when the main battery is close to empty, and can be swapped out when used, that would supply insurance that I can make my meeting on time. This would be an interesting addition to the line.

inI love this idea! It also makes sense that the time it takes to have one put in your frunk, connect it, and drive off IS FASTER than filling your ICE with gas. I'm in, now lets speculate how much we are willing to pay for 500-1000 SPARE miles?

In another thread on this topic, I proposed a "Road Trip" solution:

1) Drive to the furthest Swap Station you can reach on your battery's full charge.
2) Swap batteries. Yours gets tagged, charged, and put on a shelf
3) Drive to the next charging station and swap again.
4) Reach your destination. Charge overnight/whatever.
5) Drive home, stopping at Swap Stations as needed.
6) Stop at the first Swap Station and get your fully charged original battery back.
7) Drive home.

Your battery is used only in your car, so no worries about its condition.

This approach works for me. Kludgy, but workable. You're joining the leasing scheme (which we know is at least workable, from betterplace's experience) but just for the duration of your trip.

I suppose one question is what about trips that don't end up on the same route. Ie I use a super charger and then land at a swapping station, but that station is 500 miles out of my way for return trip cause I'm coming home a different way. Also if they get rid of superchargers then I won't be happy that I paid for the install, and why would they have spent the money to equip all cars with it? If they super charge the battery while its in storage than there is no need for the super charger equip in the car... So if they knew it was coming it seems a waste of resources to install it in every car....

They could software limit the 60kwh pack just like they are going to do for the 40kwh. So, then they would only need to keep one type of battery pack on hand.

They wouldn't need many packs in storage either because they can charge the swapped packs with the superchargers in 1 hr. In the worst case scenario you'd get a pack that may be partially filled, well, you could wait for the swap station to charge it more or you could move over to a supercharger to finish off.

I hope they don't charge a lot for it. Maybe keep it at the price of the the avg electricity rate and you've got me signed up.

Sorry if I've missed a few steps, but assuming Tesla could get over the hurdle of having the physical space to store a half dozen or dozen battery packs at these special Supercharging stations, how many people does Tesla need to employ to replace, service, and protect these batteries, and at what cost?

The hurdle? A stack of 20 would be just over 6' and would fit into my backyard shed. Because you need space between them it might take two sheds.

They could software limit the 60kwh pack just like they are going to do for the 40kwh. So, then they would only need to keep one type of battery pack on hand.
Can you make that kind of weight change to a car and keep it roal legal?

And to those talking about adding an extra battery to the car: the Model S has low weight capacity for passenger/luggage, so adding a heavy battery without removing something is not a good idea.

Guys, again...I don't care whether you like battery swapping or not. There are lots of threads to discuss that. Let's not fill this one with discussion about why it's not a good solution or why you wouldn't use it. It's coming, whether you like it or not. Help me figure out HOW they are going to do it.

In response to some thoughts that have come up so far.

Are Tesla going to have both 60kWh and 85kWh batteries availabe for swapping, and if not, will swapping be only for the 85kWh batteries? Will buyers of the 60kWh cars feel left out and cheated? Or will they also be able to swap (the 60kWh against an 85kWh battery) and if so at what cost and terms (how long can they keep the 85kWh in the car)?

Great question. Having to stock both 85 and 60kWh batteries seems like it would also make the cost of the station balloon. Perhaps 85s could be software limited to 60kWh. We know they already developed software to do this kind of thing (with the "40kWh" packs). I think this would be cheaper than having enough of both packs on hand.

It simplifies the operations. But storing the battery is a solvable problem. RedBox routinely takes reservations for movies and holds them until you come to pick them up. In process terms its a trivial task to engineer. It just requires additional resources be devoted to the swap station infrastructure and a larger inventory for the batteries.

I think your RedBox analogy is a good one, but you glossed over a lot of detail and thereby drew the wrong conclusion. Yes, you can reserve a movie, and that's exactly what I said you should be able to do with a battery. The thing is, RedBox allows you to then return that movie to any RedBox. You don't have to bring it back to the same one. Also, you only have a limited time to pick up your rented movie, before it goes back in the available pool and you get charged anyway. The whole system is built on the assumption that any copy of Iron Man 3 is as good as any other.

I don't see how this supports the idea of storing your battery for you to come back and pick up at all. It sounds a lot more like the analogy supports the description in my OP. We need to be able to make the same assumption with battery swapping to make it work.

It simply requires an inventory of batteries entirely separate from "owner" packs. I don't think the numbers will explode, just that the battery swap "network" must be independent of owner packs.

Of course it does, do some math with me. If you have a swap station that gets one visitor per hour on average. And, the average time it takes for a owner to come back to get their battery is 2 days (call it a weekend trip), then how many extra batteries do you need on hand to handle the average case?

2d * 24h = 48 packs

You'd need to have 48 batteries. Right? By the time you get your first "swapped" battery back and can give it to a second person, you've had 47 other owners stop by for a battery. Actually, you need 49 because you still need to supercharge that battery you just got back before you can give it to someone else and/or you need one to do the very first swap.

Now, what if you could swap a battery, charge the battery you just got, then give it to the next owner that shows up for a swap? How many batteries do you need stock the station with?

One battery. You need to give a battery to the first person that shows up, but then you can charge their battery in the hour before the next owner needs a swap.

Now, this is only the average case, and uses completely arbitrary parameters. Obviously, you need more than this in both cases to be able to deal with peak travel times. Varying the average time between swaps and average time before an owner returns to claim their battery changes the number of batteries you need on hand, but the relationship is really the same. Storing batteries for owners makes the whole system prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, if they were to do it, the only workable way is leased, imho. That avoids the inventory and ownership issues.

You may be right about this.

In another thread on this topic, I proposed a "Road Trip" solution:

1) Drive to the furthest Swap Station you can reach on your battery's full charge.
2) Swap batteries. Yours gets tagged, charged, and put on a shelf
3) Drive to the next charging station and swap again.
4) Reach your destination. Charge overnight/whatever.
5) Drive home, stopping at Swap Stations as needed.
6) Stop at the first Swap Station and get your fully charged original battery back.
7) Drive home.

Your battery is used only in your car, so no worries about its condition.

It doesn't scale. These stations will need to be warehouses one day if Tesla wants to sell a million cars a year. They'll need so many more batteries than cars. I just can't make the math work in a way that keeps Tesla in business. =)

Note the main appeal to swapping is not so much quicker stops as it is the ability to buy a smaller battery for your everyday use and then swap for big batteries during road trips. IMHO, anyway.

If this is what they are going for then I think just switching at a service center makes the most sense. It seems to me that they are going to do actual swapping stations, which wouldn't be the right choice if this is all they wanted to accomplish.

I suppose one question is what about trips that don't end up on the same route. Ie I use a super charger and then land at a swapping station, but that station is 500 miles out of my way for return trip cause I'm coming home a different way. Also if they get rid of superchargers then I won't be happy that I paid for the install, and why would they have spent the money to equip all cars with it? If they super charge the battery while its in storage than there is no need for the super charger equip in the car... So if they knew it was coming it seems a waste of resources to install it in every car....

Read my OP. The theory is that Supercharging is still the most common way to do intercity travel. Also it is the fallback during peak times when there simply aren't enough batteries at a station.

Battery Swapping is great for Taxis
Taxis are great for getting people to experience a car
Model X makes a great Taxi

Place a battery swap station near an airport, its gets the general public to enjoy the car.

Here's my theory on what could happen, and there is some evidence for it too (patent applications, etc.)

A smaller range extending pack that fits in the frunk. The pack uses one of the new metal-air technologies, therefore it is significantly lighter (from an energy density point of view) and may extend the range by say, 100 miles.

This turns the model S into a hybrid-battery car. The range extending pack keeps the main pack charged longer and doesn't drive the car directly so to speak.

Now maybe the range extending pack can be swapped out at the supercharger station for those customers who are in a big hurry. But the ability to have 100 miles more range opens up a LOT of possibilities and lessens the burden on number of SC stations needed in the first place (spacing, distance, etc.) I know having 100 miles of extra range for me means the difference between a trip to the coast without a stop, or not.

I agree with Alpha and others who are suggesting that the battery swap would not entail the 85 or 60 kwh main battery, but a lighter, replaceable metal air cartridge which will ad significant range and be quickly replaceable without lifts and/or special equipment.
Patent applications clearly show Tesla has been working on this kind of hybrid battery arrangement, and depending on the final form of the extra battery, swapping seems feasible since metal air will be much lighter and carry significant charge, but just is not rechargeable by the consumer. You will get to keep your own 60 or 85 kwh main battery, and use cartridges for long trips. From what I can tell these metal air batteries will hold a lot of charge and release it steadily on demand to the Li-on main battery pack. Elon's comments suggest at least 500 miles of range, but some of the papers available on metal air tech suggest it could even go much farther than that. Only problem is that recharging is not really possible for end users, so swapping makes sense, especially if the "hybrid" battery is light weight and can be exchange without special equipment. It is also not unreasonable to assume that the connections for such a battery may already be in place in the Model S, and will be software enabled.
And yes, I also believe it will go into that hole at the back of the "frunk," which puts it "right under your nose."

The metal-air battery in the frunk makes the most sense to me. The refill cartridges can be easily stored at super charger locations as well as quick swap stations located in places between superchargers. Then the driver pulls in, pops the frunk, swaps the used cartridge similar to how you swap grilling propane tanks, and off you go.

Note, I think for this to work well, it would need to have a range greater than 200 miles. 500 would be ideal since that is the typical distance I see between refuels of an ICE on a road trip.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well... In Europe you usually get 600-700 miles on a full tank, or even more... (Diesel is the answer). On my Audi S4 V8 usually I only get 200, though :D (16 gal. -> 12.5 mpg)
Just to check...

"Europe...miles"
I find it surprising that the original numbers here would be miles. Did you mean something more like "965-1126 km"?

Some examples:

2010 Porsche 911 GT3 announced for Geneva autoshow | Auto Reviews Online
1,000 km on a single tank of fuel

Porsche Panamera diesel, 1,200 km with a full!