Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Steering Wheel for Yoke. Software Update Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to replace the wheel with a yoke myself but after I went into service menu to change the configuration to show yoke I get “unknown error.”

Anyone knows what the problem might be?

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 40
I did the same thing. I thought it was because i swapped the round airbag into it but that’s not the case neither. I ordered a cheap yoke airbag off eBay and it still pops up with the same error. I’m assuming this is some type of software limitation from letting the end user do the swap themselves.
I decided to replace the wheel with a yoke myself but after I went into service menu to change the configuration to show yoke I get “unknown error.”

Anyone knows what the problem might be?

Reactions: MikeChicago
Upvote 0
I put the wheel back on and have Tesla coming out on Monday to install it. Just got impatient and work was slow 😁

I’m assuming they will be able to fix it and I’ll probably sleep better knowing it’s done right.

Thank you for chiming in. Did you ever get it resolved?

Edit to add that I have a yoke airbag. It’s the correct part number (Tesla asked for it and confirmed it when I schedule it) and also tried connecting the wheel bag to see if the yoke one was perhaps defective. Same thing. Just like you said. Made no difference.

Upvote 0
Looks like Tesla might be disabling the ability to make gateway changes via service mode. There's a thread in the model y subsection where a bunch of people on the 2024 software are unable to do the homelink retrofit.

Kinda shitty that they'd go backwards on this

Upvote 0
Looks like Tesla might be disabling the ability to make gateway changes via service mode. There's a thread in the model y subsection where a bunch of people on the 2024 software are unable to do the homelink retrofit.

Kinda shitty that they'd go backwards on this

How would the tech change it then? I don’t think they have the ability to plug into the car, do they?

Upvote 0
I just did the same last month (early January) and the config change ran just fine. I just needed to do the scroll wheel reboot for all the displays screens to show the yoke on the screen.

I wonder if they made some software change to it in a recent update, and perhaps it's thinking that it's the new yoke/wheel with mechanical center horn?

Upvote 0
I just did the same last month (early January) and the config change ran just fine. I just needed to do the scroll wheel reboot for all the displays screens to show the yoke on the screen.

I wonder if they made some software change to it in a recent update, and perhaps it's thinking that it's the new yoke/wheel with mechanical center horn?
Do you know what software version you were running? I’m curious if you updated since and if your menu to change it still comes up or if you’d also get an error

Upvote 0
Update. Tesla swapped it for me and fixed the graphics. They had to physically jack into the computer. They did an awesome job and I love my new yoke.
I guess that supports the impression that they (deliberately?) broke the ability to do it in service mode.

I wonder if the consumer version of toolbox can do it. Not that it's worth paying $500 to do so as an individual. Edit: Though they do offer a 24 hour period too now for $160ish. Still cheaper to get Tesla to do it, but for those of us who live a couple hours from the nearest service center and can seldom get Tesla to send out a mobile tech, could be worth it. Too bad Tesla doesn't really tell you the full capabilities of what you can do with toolbox as an enduser though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
Oh, btw, is this with the previous yoke or the new design with mechanical horn?

I looked into this before I bought the yoke from a fellow member here. This is the H variant, which Tesla confirmed was the latest one available. They also said this one "solved" the pealing problem. Then again, I'm pretty sure they said that before. It reminds me of that old Mac vs PC commercial "This one won't have the problems the old one did."

Either way they did a fantastic job. The last few interactions I've had with Tesla have truly been great and some were simply above and beyond.

Upvote 0