Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Tesla X Wheels and Tires from 20" to 22"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying an inventory Tesla X. It has all the features I want except it has the 20" wheels and tires. I really want the bigger 22" wheels with tires, and I was wondering how easy or difficult it would be sell/buy/trade them. Any suggestions on best places to make this happen.

Thank you.

I’ve seen them for as low as $2000 and high as $6k.

just note that you would have to transfer your old tpms or have the new tpms programmed to your car. You are unable to reset/reprogram your tpms through the screen anymore. It was recently removed in a recent update

what color X did you buy. And what color 22” wheels are you looking for. There are mostly the black 22s for sale.

My apologies, in the excitement of picking the car tomorrow, I made a typo. The wheels in the car are 22" onyx black and I read in the Forum they are less efficient and more noisy and give a rougher ride than the 20". Hence I want to go to 20". The 22" wheels are $ 5500 more expensive -- so ideally I was hoping to make some money in the swap.

I’ve seen them for as low as $2000 and high as $6k.

just note that you would have to transfer your old tpms or have the new tpms programmed to your car. You are unable to reset/reprogram your tpms through the screen anymore. It was recently removed in a recent update

what color X did you buy. And what color 22” wheels are you looking for. There are mostly the black 22s for sale.

There is no programming. Just make sure the TPMS are compatible and the car will self program.

Reactions: jmcmill
I see the feature to choose your wheel. But I thought a recent update removed the reset tpms option. A friend of mine swapped to 21s from 19s and he couldn’t get the light to go away. I thought I read on TMC that the light has to be reset...I guess not. ‍♂️

I see the feature to choose your wheel. But I thought a recent update removed the reset tpms option. A friend of mine swapped to 21s from 19s and he couldn’t get the light to go away. I thought I read on TMC that the light has to be reset...I guess not. ‍♂️

I thought it was still there. But regardless, if you switch TPMS sensors the car will detect it and it and prompt you to proceed with TPMS Reset.

Non Universal TPMS are not programmed (which is what Tesla supplies and TireRack supplies 433Hz).
Universal TPMS need to be programmed (which can also be used on the car). They basically Program them to be 433hz.
Some places will program them as part of purchase. I prefer the Non Universal. Often you can find Universals cheaper.

I am buying an inventory Tesla X. It has all the features I want except it has the 20" wheels and tires. I really want the bigger 22" wheels with tires, and I was wondering how easy or difficult it would be sell/buy/trade them. Any suggestions on best places to make this happen.

Thank you.
I have a set of 22s I could sell you. Just the opposite situation as yourself lf, but a X with the 22s and I wanted the 20s. I purchased the 20s about a year ago and have the 22s in storage.

Message me if you're interested.