Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? You bring examples of SuC around your house - you should would never use them, even on a road trip.
Then you tell that there is a FC (DCFC is long abbreviation, there are no ACFC, anything below 50kW is not fast)
a third range away from your home. Well, in case of road trip, you should skip that one as well.
Consider chargers that are 150 miles away. We are talking about vehicle with 90kWh battery, not 24kWh Leaf:D
You misunderstand. I was responding to @Cheburashka who implied California has plentiful DCFC. There are very few in the Los Angeles area.
California might be an outlier, but I have at least 3 DCFC stations that are closer to my house than the nearest SC..

Reactions: arnis
It seems like 90% of people on this forum are road trip enthusiasts!

The truth is that I don't take many road trips a year, and when I do, they are to pretty remote places. I could always rent a nice big comfy ICE car for cheap for the one-two times I do this.

If you have all the time in the world to constantly be on road trips on popular routes then yes Tesla is the logical choice, but I doubt there are many such people.

Right on! The #1 comeback by Tesla "enthusiasts" is "but you can't take that car cross country", Lol. Seriously, how often does one take such a trip? But one does have to worry about other QC issues during daily driving.

Reactions: CarbonFree
So I promised @evster to do some measurements and was rather surprised after a best effort with a mearument tape (no laser).

As you can see from my table, the Model S has less rear seat headroom but a much wider rear seat cushion. Strangely enough, the rear seats seem similar across the I-pace and the E-pace, making me think they might put in a wider rear seat in production models (the one sent around are pre-production I believe).
Inside width, between the most prominent part of the door panels, are pretty similar front/rear.
The trunk is much bigger in the S as we all know, and I did not even bother measuring the Jag's froot.
Rear leg room is interesting - the S has a very C-shaped back of the front seat (the 2017 premium ones) making rear leg room pretty decent from the cushin, but not so much higher up. The back of the Jag's front seat is more straight.
The I-pace has a ground clearence on air susp setting normal, empty, at 17 cm.
Front seats in the Jag are wider than in the S and a much longer seat cushion.

So, summary: a bit smaller cabin, but not the full 6% that the Jag is shorter than the S in overall length (29 cm shorter). The trunk is much smaller though.

It would be great if somenone could measure up their 3 or other competing CUV/SUV, but don't bother with the X - it is bigger all around.

jag vs tesla dimensions.PNG

Why? You bring examples of SuC around your house - you should would never use them, even on a road trip.
Then you tell that there is a FC (DCFC is long abbreviation, there are no ACFC, anything below 50kW is not fast)
a third range away from your home. Well, in case of road trip, you should skip that one as well.
Consider chargers that are 150 miles away. We are talking about vehicle with 90kWh battery, not 24kWh Leaf:D

The situation where your destination has no charging options will sometimes force you to top off at a charging station somewhat close to your starting point. I had a round trip recently where the one-way distance was 150 miles with no charging at destination. So I had to use the SC that was 50 miles from my house and charge to full.

Anybody else noticed that a lot of the posts of folks who changed "their mind" about the model 3 usually contains a reference about "my wife"?

Sometimes it can be more subtle though like that guy a few days ago who said he would rather "remodel my kitchen"

Yeah, a Model 3 would be my wife's commuter and she is mainly interested in Active Cruise Control. If we can get that, with a reasonable range (150 miles would cover the whole week), for a lot less money in something else, 15 years of dreaming about a Tesla go down the sewer.

Yeah, a Model 3 would be my wife's commuter and she is mainly interested in Active Cruise Control. If we can get that, with a reasonable range (150 miles would cover the whole week), for a lot less money in something else, 15 years of dreaming about a Tesla go down the sewer.
Same situation here, except the mileage numbers are a bit larger. Model 3 was going to be her car (she prefers a sedan, I prefer a wagon with an occasional roadster thrown in), but she objected to the key phone, didn't like all the reliability question marks accumulating (she's accustomed to Toyotas), and when the base model got pushed out to 2019, that was it.
The Jaguar is not a good fit for our (her) mission, though.
Robin

Right on! The #1 comeback by Tesla "enthusiasts" is "but you can't take that car cross country", Lol. Seriously, how often does one take such a trip? But one does have to worry about other QC issues during daily driving.

I definitely qualify as an “enthusiast” and I have to admit that this arguement is probably meaningless for most drivers. I haven’t taken a cross country trip in years. That may change when I get my 3 but realistically this point often gets blown out of proportion. It’s like some people feel trapped and just want to know they can if they wanted to. Personally I’ve noticed that I have les patience for cross country treks as I get older.

Last edited:
I have not seen the IPace in person but did see the M3 in Vancouver the other day and go be honest I was really impressed. The fit-and-finish is amazing. The interior is great, nice materials. Yes, everything is controlled though centre screen but sitting in the car I don't think I would have any issue with that.
What I can tell from the IPace is that it is rather "conservative" inside and out. Why is there still a "shark fin" on the roof?

I don't rhink the argument about difference in build quality, fit-and-finish and used materials will hold up anymore. Tesla has made some huge steps!

I can spot a non Tesla owner immediately.

Most people will never need to go from SF to NY in a car, but in a Tesla they can.

Most people do make 1 way trips in excess of 200 miles at least several times a year.

Everyone, when making trips would rather have their car tell them where to charge and navigate versus trying to plot chargers along their route and pray that its not occupied for the 1-2 stalls when they actually get there.

A Tesla can safely be your ONLY vehicle. Every other EV is an addition to your stable of gas cars.

I can go to SF, Sacramento, Vegas anytime with zero fraks given about where I'm charging. I just take off, even with half battery.
Thats the power of a Tesla. Try that in an iPace or Bolt.

I got a 2017 MS 90D, EA, white interior, and updated paint option for $89k after showroom discount. So definitely possible to get Nicely optioned MS for around that price ;)
I did more research on the ipace following that message

i definitely do not personally recommend the IPace over any tesla, especially not the 3. I am confident the resale value is going to drop like a stone and I'd urge OP to LEASE and have a good residual value on the lease.

jaguar by the way often has good deals on lease. I won't be surprised if they have $600 - $700 a month deals which would be great on a $90k car. Car companies like jaguar love this cuz it's a great accounting trick to pretend that they sell something by moving chairs around

Reactions: Nathan and Lem89
I definitely qualify as an “enthusiast” and I have to admit that this arguement is probably meaningless for most drivers. I haven’t taken a cross country trip in years. That may change when I get my 3 but realistically this point often gets blown out of proportion. It’s like some people feel trapped and just want to know they can if they wanted to. Personally I’ve noticed that I have les patience for cross country treks as I get older.

Forget cross-country, most of the Midwest is a deadzone for CCS. You can't even drive 120 miles away from the TC without having to turn back in anything other than a Tesla.

This argument about a lack of a charging network only affecting cross-country treks is silly...

Forget cross-country, most of the Midwest is a deadzone for CCS. You can't even drive 120 miles away from the TC without having to turn back in anything other than a Tesla.

This argument about a lack of a charging network only affecting cross-country treks is silly...

Don't forget the built in car integration for supercharging station routing, access and capacity levels.
Imaging not having your credit card with you, forgetting to put it into apple play or some BS connectivity issues that prevent you from completing a transaction that will finally let you charge.

At least that person admitted they never owned a Tesla.

I see people with 1500+ posts coming off as a Tesla authorities and they don't own the car or even have a deposit for one. LOL

Reactions: Nathan
Your comment is interesting. Just this evening DW and I were talking about taking some driving trips when we get the 3 that we haven't taken in years since we usually do by plane - SoCal to Portland/Seattle and Boulder, CO to visit family and friends. We figure with EAP and Supercharging it will be more relaxing than dealing with the BS (Border Security) at the airport and a lot less money.

Reactions: DR61
I can spot a non Tesla owner immediately.

Most people will never need to go from SF to NY in a car, but in a Tesla they can.

Most people do make 1 way trips in excess of 200 miles at least several times a year.

Everyone, when making trips would rather have their car tell them where to charge and navigate versus trying to plot chargers along their route and pray that its not occupied for the 1-2 stalls when they actually get there.

A Tesla can safely be your ONLY vehicle. Every other EV is an addition to your stable of gas cars.

I can go to SF, Sacramento, Vegas anytime with zero fraks given about where I'm charging. I just take off, even with half battery.
Thats the power of a Tesla. Try that in an iPace or Bolt.

MXWing thanks for the comment.

My 2 cents: I have done several cross-Europe trips with my MS 90D (the next one will be all along the Provence region in France). Usually, these trips are 3.000 km long.

In these trips I do not use only the SC network but also CHADEMO chargers and non-Tesla destination chargers.
I have done several comparisons using the car built-in trip planner vs other on-line trip planners (e.g. Chargemap - charging stations for electric cars) and, when I include non-Tesla options, I usually get a faster route.

In Europe the dependency to the Tesla SC network is not really an issue.

I did more research on the ipace following that message

i definitely do not personally recommend the IPace over any tesla, especially not the 3. I am confident the resale value is going to drop like a stone and I'd urge OP to LEASE and have a good residual value on the lease.

jaguar by the way often has good deals on lease. I won't be surprised if they have $600 - $700 a month deals which would be great on a $90k car. Car companies like jaguar love this cuz it's a great accounting trick to pretend that they sell something by moving chairs around

My 2 cents: also the resale value of my 18 months old MS 90D has already dropped like a stone !
That's something usual for any new tech device. EVs are not an exception.

Don't forget the built in car integration for supercharging station routing, access and capacity levels.
Imaging not having your credit card with you, forgetting to put it into apple play or some BS connectivity issues that prevent you from completing a transaction that will finally let you charge.

At least that person admitted they never owned a Tesla.

I see people with 1500+ posts coming off as a Tesla authorities and they don't own the car or even have a deposit for one. LOL

MXWing, about this: the I-Pace has also a built-in routing system that considers all the available charging stations options to get to your destination. It works very similarly to the Tesla one.

About your comment on the paying methods, well in my Tesla I already have three RFID cards that allows me to charge the car in 95% of non-Tesla stations in Europe. There is nothing to forget, the cards are in the car ;).

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
MXWing, about this: the I-Pace has also a built-in routing system that considers all the available charging stations options to get to your destination. It works very similarly to the Tesla one.

About your comment on the paying methods, well in my Tesla I already have three RFID cards that allows me to charge the car in 95% of non-Tesla stations in Europe. There is nothing to forget, the cards are in the car ;).

Agree, european situation is quite different. We travelled last sept. eg. with Leaf-30kWh from Netherlands to south of France, is a 1400km trip. Okay Paris-Avignon we did by autotrain (TGV for the passengers) , 700km :D to speed up travelling, but that's also an option overhere. Usa or Europe fastcharging is quite different. But Tesla SuC network in Europe is great ! So patiently waiting for our Model 3...

Reactions: mariopaol

Agree, european situation is quite different. We travelled last sept. eg. with Leaf-30kWh from Netherlands to south of France, is a 1400km trip. Okay Paris-Avignon we did by autotrain (TGV for the passengers) , 700km :D to speed up travelling, but that's also an option overhere. Usa or Europe fastcharging is quite different. But Tesla SuC network in Europe is great ! So patiently waiting for our Model 3...

I'll be the first to admit I don't know how a non Tesla would fare in long distance travel in Europe.

I know for me, it's a non-go in the US. I'm not willing to go slower so I can make it from charger to charger. It is an issue to have to map out, find chargers, and find a way to pay for them. Lots of things can be "done" but why go through the hassle when Tesla makes it seamless?

Regarding the iPace experience, we will see once it's in the field. A lot of assumptions are going to be need to be made for the first owners. Car is going to be perfectly reliably, and every Jaguar service center is going to hit the ground running - all on Day 1.